Sign in to follow this  
Hoang

Heavy cloud in Fs9

Clouds are usually the main concern when talking about FPS. But with my system I believe I can handle heavy clouds when using real world weather.

I'm using REX, however even in thunderstorm or poor weather condition,my cloud still doesn't look heavy like it should be. It only appears in block and block and I still can see the ground. I love sitting in the VC and look at the heavy cloud bellow. Never satisfied though.

Sorry because I don't know how to explain, I will give a real picture as example, how can I set my Fs9 cloud to look like this?

_http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/5/9/2107952.jpg

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

The only clouds that are remotely realistic are here http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

look down the page for hdev2.zip

vololiberista

Not true, REX is really good...

To answer the original posters question, get 'ActiveSky Evolution'.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Rex is awesome but I also found HDEv2 amazing and I used it before buying Rex. Even the default clouds at max are beautiful.

I disagree!! I don't use the same weather engine. I use FSMetar. The combination of that, PD's clouds and soft horizons which includes a sun fix is unbeatable. I didn't have to "spend a penny!"

vololiberista

Hi,

I would advise you to change these parameters in the "weather" section of FS9.cfg. But be carefull these parameters are changed back to their default values when you access FS9.cfg from within FS9 to change some parameters.

MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=32000

CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=12

The first parameter restricts the visiblity to +/- 40 km and gives you soft horizons.

The second one gives you 100% cloud coverage (standard value = 8)

Enjoy,

Hugo

I'm already using ASv6. Does it make any difference?

The only clouds that are remotely realistic are here http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

look down the page for hdev2.zip

vololiberista

Does it solve the problem or just change the way the clouds look?

Hi,

I would advise you to change these parameters in the "weather" section of FS9.cfg. But be carefull these parameters are changed back to their default values when you access FS9.cfg from within FS9 to change some parameters.

MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=32000

The first parameter restricts the visiblity to +/- 40 km and gives you soft horizons.

The second one gives you 100% cloud coverage (standard value = 8)

Enjoy,

Hugo

Thank you I'm testing it now.

Hoang Le

P3D v5

My settings are:-

MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=64000

But I also use soft horizons. The combination of everything I use works well.

vololiberista

So what exactly do I need to do to see a carpet of cloud instead of some blocks of cloud?

Hoang Le

P3D v5

I use ASv6 along with a reg version of fsuipc and Rex. Don't think you need soft horizons if you have Rex since Horizon smoothing is already built in. Soft horizons is definitely a must have for anyone going down the freeware route.

Back to your issue - Cloud coverage on my setup looks very good after spending a fair bit of time finding the best fsuipc and asv6 configs, I get a full thick overcast in heavy weather that looks very realistic. Won't have access to my sim till the weekend but I can pm you the settings if you want.

Regards

Rob Prest

I have a question regarding HDEv2 and Soft Horizons. I like especially the sky colours of HDEv2. Unfortunately, Soft Horizons uses the colours of the stock FS2004 sky, with this ugly purple at sunset. Is there any possibility to bring HDEv2's sky colours and soft horizons together (excepting, of course, buying REX)?

Thank you all

Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I use ASv6 along with a reg version of fsuipc and Rex. Don't think you need soft horizons if you have Rex since Horizon smoothing is already built in. Soft horizons is definitely a must have for anyone going down the freeware route.

Back to your issue - Cloud coverage on my setup looks very good after spending a fair bit of time finding the best fsuipc and asv6 configs, I get a full thick overcast in heavy weather that looks very realistic. Won't have access to my sim till the weekend but I can pm you the settings if you want.

Regards

I have Rex and ASV6. I've spent a lot of time tweaking mine but I'd be interested to compare with your settings if you'd share?

So what exactly do I need to do to see a carpet of cloud instead of some blocks of cloud?

Set clouds to overcast in your weather settings (custom weather), with HDEv2 you'll get stuff like this:

gallery_158959_9_65527.jpg

gallery_158959_9_641.jpg

gallery_158959_9_239714.jpg

Play around with the cloud settings and try to set your own custom weather - you can get some spectacular sights that way as well as some challenging flying conditions.

HDEv2 is the best there is for the sky in FS9, I prefer it over everything else including payware.

I have a question regarding HDEv2 and Soft Horizons. I like especially the sky colours of HDEv2. Unfortunately, Soft Horizons uses the colours of the stock FS2004 sky, with this ugly purple at sunset. Is there any possibility to bring HDEv2's sky colours and soft horizons together (excepting, of course, buying REX)?

Thank you all

Harald

For that reason I don't use soft horizons with HDEv2. Don't know a way around this, if anyone knows please post.

I've been so happy with HDE that I haven't felt the need to really add much more to it - FS9 skywise.

I've been so happy with HDE that I haven't felt the need to really add much more to it - FS9 skywise.

That's exactly the reason why I use HDE with "hard horizons".

By the way, setting the MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS Parameter in fs9.cfg to values below 96560 (=60 miles) is no option for me, as I like to look far having clear skies; if it is cloudy, FSUIPC will decrease visibility.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

HDEv2 is the best there is for the sky in FS9, I prefer it over everything else including payware.

Imho, the HDEv2 sky and cloulds are also the best looking sky and cloud set available for FSX as well, even compared to payware offerings for FSX. Speaking of the remastered set made available of course.

Clouds are usually the main concern when talking about FPS. But with my system I believe I can handle heavy clouds when using real world weather.

Use DXT clouds sets instead of 32bit anf your FPS will surely improve in stormy conditions.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator