Sign in to follow this  
pwscott

New Build System w/ Asus P8Z77-V MoBo 1M45S BiOS Screen on Boot?

I am still loving the new machine I built but I am having two issues that I am looking for help on....I have not called in to Asus yet but may after the US holiday here.

Issue #1 is I really want in the hot weather to put the system to sleep and then awaken it when I want to fly, work, photoshop whatever. I am finding that when I initially would put the system to sleep it would sleep.....blue LED slowly flashing....now if I put it to sleep it sleeps for 5 or 10 seconds and then comes back to life and stays running....not sure why....I imagine a USB device is waking it....may be my Gen1 Drobo?

Issue #2 is when I fully shut down the system, and then return to use it and power it on I get he NVIDA Bios message then the Asus BiOS splash screen.....that splash screen used to come up for may be 15 seconds but now it holds there for about 1M 45 Seconds......drag.

I have looked around on Asus' website and I have updated to the very latest BiOS with no effect so far.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I plan to try the sleep rebot with various devices connected and see what happens and will add to the thread when I do.

HP Omen Intel Core i9 @ 3.6GHz
64GB RAM @ 1596MHz, NVidia GeForce RTX 3090
Windows 10 64bit, 2 x 2TB SSD, 2TB 7200RPM SATA Drive

Hi Philip,

Try running this command in an elevated cmd window:

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

That should tell you which devices can wake your PC.

If the list is unhelpful, try running this command in the same elevated command window:

sfc /scannow

This will check to see if any of your core Windows system files are corrupt or missing. This can often be the cause of weird stuff such as sleep issues.

Hope this helps :smile:

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Hi , my name is murat and I've just regestered in avsim form. ( my english is not good , so sory if I do mistake )

while I see Philip's problem ı want to help you for cashing problem.

5 days ago I had new system . ( P8 z77-V ---i5 2500K--gtx 560TI---force 3GT 60 GB SSD---cooler master haf 912 with 750 watt psu---gskill 8 gb 1866 Mhz DDR3 ram--1 tb cavair black WD )

I bought SSD for to do cashing with 1 TB cavair black . first before the windows 7 64 bit, I got bios and made sata raid 0. then on the first selection I selected SSD next I see the ssd to 1 tb cavair for to use fast read. finally ı did safty mod ( the SSD write immedialy to 1 tb when I save any data. I choissed it. it was first step) after finished all confirugation which asus motherboord shows to us for smart response the system need to start. when start the system black page seems and red line then fastly gone and restart system. so I couldnt do it.

I diceded about that problem , ı said my self, I have to set sata with raid 0 because if anyone can help me about that, I can use smart response. And FSX and all addon complete succesfull. the system working at 4.5 MHZ . everything is good without smart response. I read motherboord book. Unfortunately I cant understand what ı need..

What I should do and where I've made a mistake...

thank you for help me .

bast regards

Hello Murat and welcome to AVSim!!

Would you mind please starting your own thread about your completely separate and unrelated question about SSD storage? You will get a better response there without completely hijacking my request for help and advice. After you start your own thread you can come back to this one and delete your post please.

Thanks and good luck!

Phil

Hi , my name is murat and I've just regestered in avsim form. ( my english is not good , so sory if I do mistake )

while I see Philip's problem ı want to help you for cashing problem.

5 days ago I had new system . ( P8 z77-V ---i5 2500K--gtx 560TI---force 3GT 60 GB SSD---cooler master haf 912 with 750 watt psu---gskill 8 gb 1866 Mhz DDR3 ram--1 tb cavair black WD )

I bought SSD for to do cashing with 1 TB cavair black . first before the windows 7 64 bit, I got bios and made sata raid 0. then on the first selection I selected SSD next I see the ssd to 1 tb cavair for to use fast read. finally ı did safty mod ( the SSD write immedialy to 1 tb when I save any data. I choissed it. it was first step) after finished all confirugation which asus motherboord shows to us for smart response the system need to start. when start the system black page seems and red line then fastly gone and restart system. so I couldnt do it.

I diceded about that problem , ı said my self, I have to set sata with raid 0 because if anyone can help me about that, I can use smart response. And FSX and all addon complete succesfull. the system working at 4.5 MHZ . everything is good without smart response. I read motherboord book. Unfortunately I cant understand what ı need..

What I should do and where I've made a mistake...

thank you for help me .

bast regards

Thanks for your suggestions Jake. I ran both commands in a CMD window this AM.

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed gave me a short list that include:

Logitech HID-compliant cordless mouse

Intel <R> 8257pU Gigabit Network Connection

Logitech HID-compliant cordless mouse (001) <<<<<<<<<<2nd one! I do only have one

Logitech HID-compliant keyboard

sfc /scannow yielded this result:

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

I don't know if the 2nd mouse being listed is normal or indicative of an issue. When I look in Device Manager I see three listings under Mice etc:

HI-compliant mouse

Logitech HID_compliant Cordless Mouse

Logitech HID_compliant Cordless Mouse

I also notice in Device Manager that I have 4 'other devices' with yellow exclamation marks:

PCI Simple Comm Cntlr

SM Bus Controller

Univ Ser Bus (USB) Controller

Univ Ser Bus (USB) Controller

Not sure why these would not have drivers per se or have an issue.

Any further input appreciated.

Hi Philip,

Try running this command in an elevated cmd window:

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

That should tell you which devices can wake your PC.

If the list is unhelpful, try running this command in the same elevated command window:

sfc /scannow

This will check to see if any of your core Windows system files are corrupt or missing. This can often be the cause of weird stuff such as sleep issues.

Hope this helps :smile:

best

jake

Hi Phil,

Ok, the devices with exclamation marks need to be sorted. They will be using system resources that Windows doesn't have any proper device-specific info on. Your board is a new ASUS, so at least one of those exclamation marks will be the Intel management engine agent, which will need a driver.

I suggest first going to http://support.asus.com and plugging in your model number or choosing automatic detection.

Go to the utils section of the downloads and look for the following entry:

Intel Management Engine Interface V8.0.0.1262 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit

You'll also need the following USB 3.0 drivers from the USB section:

Asmedia USB 3.0 Driver V1.14.3.0 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.(WHQL)

The SMBus drivers being absent probably means you haven't run the infinst_auto.exe that came on the disk (it's all of the Intel chipset drivers) or if you have run it, it's corrupt.

Look for this entry in the chipset section of the ASUS support site (same page as the other two above):

Intel Chipset Driver V9.3.0.1019 for Windows XP 32bit & XP 64bit & Win7 32bit & Win7 64bit.

Once you've got them all installed, come back and we'll have a look at the sleep settings..You need to mess about with USB selective suspend and there are some tick boxes that allow you to stop the NIC (network card) from bringing the PC out of sleep, but I'd like to get all of the drivers on first.

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Jake- thanks for your help here. Seems to a point you hit the nail on the head. This is my first true build and while I got good advice on selecting components I think, I suspect all I loaded besides Windows and Nvidia drivers was what was on the Asus CD....utilities.

Anyway, I succeeded in installing what you suggested above- sort of. I did have a problem however when I loaded the Intel Management Engine Interface in that would get part way through then get: "The setup program failed to start one or more applications or processes. Setup will now exit."

When I rebooted an Intel installer ran and that seemed to finish normally.

Rebooted again and I breezed through the BiOS splash screen that previously took 1M 45S. Good news. There was one more USB Controller instance with an exclamation mark so I ran the other USB installer from Asus. On rebooting it paused a few times then succeeded and all the exclamations marks were gone.

HOWEVER, now when I reboot I am not able to boot into Windows! Yikes. I was able to get to Safe Mode and I used system restore to go back before the last USB driver I had installed which I believe was : Intel® USB 3.0 Controller Driver V1.0.4.225 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL)

So right now I am in Safe Mode and it tells me System Restore succeeded in getting me back to before last install so am going to se if I can boot straight into Windows. When I look in Programs and Features I see the following there (plus lots of other stuff of course):

Intel Control Center

Intel Management Engine Components

Intel Rapid Storage Tech

Intel Watchdog Timer Driver WTD

also:

Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 HCD

I am now trying to boot to windows normally.

Sweating here. Worried.

Still can not get into Windows normally- I get through the Nvidia BiOS, then the Asus BiOS splash screen....I get the "Starting WIndows" with the four colored things that fly away and then just a long time with some hard disk activity. I have left that run a few times while I did other stuff- 30-45 minutes no further outcome or boot.

So I just booted into Safe Mode again....and used System Restore to go on step further back to before I had installed the Asmedia ASM104x USB 3.0 HCD- says it succeeded, then reboots....get the Starting Windows but never get to a logon.....just dead screen space and heavy HD activity. This followed by light HD activity and no display whatsoever on either of the two monitors.

OK back up and running somewhat normally here now.....as all things computing or networking was a couple of layers of problems. Somewhere in the process of reboots here one of my two monitors got 'stuck'. So it was on and connected as normal, but it stopped displaying the HDMI signal it was receiving. SO I would see the BiOS info and POST on the 2nd monitor, then the 'Starting Windows'....the PC would start displaying on the 1st monitor but to me it was just blank. I didn't figure this out until I bumped the mouse and the cursor slid across onto 2nd monitor. I went to verif power to the 1st screen and it didn;t respond to any buttons incl power so I pulled its AC cord and re-plugged it and boom....normal Windows login screen and success on the second system restore step.

Not sure what I will do now....I still have the two initial complaints at top of thread. In Device Manager the following have the yellow exclamations now:

-SM Bus Controller

- Universal Serial Bus Controller (USB)

- Universal Serial Bus Controller (USB)

...now am wondering which additional SW/Drivers to [re]load from here:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z77-V&p=1&s=39

Ok, Phil. Breathe :smile:

I suspect what may have happened was, in the loading of drivers and BIOS, you perhaps reset your BIOS and your SATA had reverted to IDE mode from AHCI or the opposite? Are you running RAID? Did your BIOS try to boot from the Drobo? Can you check the SATA mode and the boot order just to be on the safe side. Remove the drobo (see below)

Unless you are running a system-dependant drive from your USB (highly unlikely) or you installed the Intel RAID drivers incorrectly (or uninstalled them likewise - again, highly unlikely) or the Intel chipset drivers somehow borked your install (how long have you been using it before doing all of this?) I can't really see how installing the drivers for the particular hardware in question could have caused this..USB drivers shouldn't stop a system from booting. They are invoked at Windows boot. The BIOS sees them in legacy mode.

Try installing all of the drivers as before, but througout the whole process unplug the Drobo (put it to sleep first!) My bad; I didn't see you had one; I would have told you to remove it from the USB when updating.

I have a Drobo. It can add some time to my boot when it feels like it; other times it just goes on through. If it is in rebuild mode it can just make my PC not reboot at all. They are not very reliable, imo (I'm on my 3rd or 4th LOL)

Try and do all of the required drivers; there's no reason why they shouildn't/won't install. Do them one at a time. rebooting between each one and checking that your system still works (my bad again; I shouldn't have assumed you'd do this anyway, even if not asked to)

Only when you are done, plug the Drobo back in - BUT! make sure it is in the correct type of USB socket (I know they are all supposed to be cross-compatible, but just to be sure) On my X79 board, the USB 2.0 are black and blue, the USB3.0 are red; on my last P68 board, the 2.0 were black and the 3.0 blue, so there doesn;'t seem to be a patter - your manual will say which one.

I'd also recommend doing all of it with a single monitor plugged in LOL

Good luck..I'm sure it will be fine

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Breathing.....in....out. Better. I think most of this was the #1 screen going into that weird mode where it had a blue signal light but wasn;t displaying the signal so it looked to me like I was not making it through boot up. Power cycling the screen fixed that.

I will go back and add the drivers now and then can move onto the power issue for sleep.

On your queries below.....no RAID here. Did unplug Drobo throughout. Will check color of USB for 2.0 vs. 3.0 for connecting thet Gen1 Drobo.

Thanks so much for your replies here, I appreciate the help.

Ok, Phil. Breathe :smile:

I suspect what may have happened was, in the loading of drivers and BIOS, you perhaps reset your BIOS and your SATA had reverted to IDE mode from AHCI or the opposite? Are you running RAID? Did your BIOS try to boot from the Drobo? Can you check the SATA mode and the boot order just to be on the safe side. Remove the drobo (see below)

Unless you are running a system-dependant drive from your USB (highly unlikely) or you installed the Intel RAID drivers incorrectly (or uninstalled them likewise - again, highly unlikely) or the Intel chipset drivers somehow borked your install (how long have you been using it before doing all of this?) I can't really see how installing the drivers for the particular hardware in question could have caused this..USB drivers shouldn't stop a system from booting. They are invoked at Windows boot. The BIOS sees them in legacy mode.

Try installing all of the drivers as before, but througout the whole process unplug the Drobo (put it to sleep first!) My bad; I didn't see you had one; I would have told you to remove it from the USB when updating.

I have a Drobo. It can add some time to my boot when it feels like it; other times it just goes on through. If it is in rebuild mode it can just make my PC not reboot at all. They are not very reliable, imo (I'm on my 3rd or 4th LOL)

Try and do all of the required drivers; there's no reason why they shouildn't/won't install. Do them one at a time. rebooting between each one and checking that your system still works (my bad again; I shouldn't have assumed you'd do this anyway, even if not asked to)

Only when you are done, plug the Drobo back in - BUT! make sure it is in the correct type of USB socket (I know they are all supposed to be cross-compatible, but just to be sure) On my X79 board, the USB 2.0 are black and blue, the USB3.0 are red; on my last P68 board, the 2.0 were black and the 3.0 blue, so there doesn;'t seem to be a patter - your manual will say which one.

I'd also recommend doing all of it with a single monitor plugged in LOL

Good luck..I'm sure it will be fine

best

jake

Jake- "You da man!" All drivers loaded now- USB, chipset, Intel Mgt, etc...no yello exclamations in DM.

System goes to sleep like a baby and wakes up fine even with Drobo connected (it's connected to a USB 2.0 port as suggested too).

I have not really rebooted much yet to see for sure but the last reboot the BiOS screen was like 10 seconds down from nearly two minutes.

Thanks so much for your advice and patient guidance!

Very best to you.

Phil

hey Phil,

well, I'm just glad you got it working. I know how frustrating it is when you've just turned that last screw, and fitted the case side and it won't boot.

I changed my PSU on Sunday. (useless OCZ 750 with broken fan controller - OCZ wanted me to pay to have it shipped back to Holland - it's less than two months old!! Needless to say they lost that one...)

It took me an hour of farting around with routed cables; then I couldn't find the correct modular cables I needed, then after I had jury-rigged it all, and after an hour of sweating over it (literally) I didn't even get a blue power-on light, so I know, Phil..I know :smile:

Glad to be of any assistance

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

That is a pain about your power supply- of all things to have to retrofit and make all those connections.

On my side looks like the undoing the default checkboxes to let the Intel Gb NIC wake up the machine have allowed it sleep and wake just fine so far.