Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

REX Essential released

Yeah it looks pretty etc etc but the flight planning part of it is terrible which ASE does really well. I've noticed with basic flights in Aus (SYD - MELB) and between other major routes you can't add in a lot of way points. Also you can't see current weather conditions when flying over weather stations away from Airports like ASE does so your descent wind data is way out leading to screwing up your descent. Also ASE gives you average winds/temp over the entire flight plan so you can input them into the FMC for a more accurate fuel burn which RexE doesn't...

ASE seems to not be updating things lately dunno what the company is doing??? Shame.

in rexe you can see weather conditons at other areas as you fly all you need to do is right click on the map and it brings a box where you can type the icao on the map and it gives you the details. And in rexe it gives the wind direction at each waypoint than you need to spend a extra minute of imputing the details in the fmc, also the map gives the storm locations, ice and tuberlance areas as well to avoid when flying

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Can people stop talking about how good essentials 'looks'. We all knew that anything coming from REX was going to look fantastic, what I want to know, preferably from someone who can compare it to AS2012, is whether or not REX have got their weather engine sorted? Is it better then the old REX engine? Is it as good as ASE was? Is it as good as AS2012? Is it better then AS2012? Do I still need paid for FSUIPC to use it?

How about the integration of the weather and the graphics? Is it trivial, simple, reasonable, workable or a dog? Is it that same as the old ASE + REX combination? Is it better then the old ASE + REX but not as good as AS2012? Is it as good as AS2012? Is it better then AS2012?

I do a lot of IFR flying so, for me, the quality of the weather engine is at least, if not more important then the view out the window, and if I am fighting to land at a strange airport at minimums, I don't tend to spend a lot of time admiring the view.

Can people stop talking about how good essentials 'looks'.

No? It looks fantastic and it rightly deserves all the praise it gets.

Why not ask comparisons in the REX forums, you'll probably get more feedback there instead of the PMDG forums.

Yeah,

I would like to know if it is worth saying bye bye to active sky [2012?]

Both are good.

Can people stop talking about how good essentials 'looks'. We all knew that anything coming from REX was going to look fantastic, what I want to know, preferably from someone who can compare it to AS2012, is whether or not REX have got their weather engine sorted? Is it better then the old REX engine? Is it as good as ASE was? Is it as good as AS2012? Is it better then AS2012? Do I still need paid for FSUIPC to use it?

How about the integration of the weather and the graphics? Is it trivial, simple, reasonable, workable or a dog? Is it that same as the old ASE + REX combination? Is it better then the old ASE + REX but not as good as AS2012? Is it as good as AS2012? Is it better then AS2012?

I do a lot of IFR flying so, for me, the quality of the weather engine is at least, if not more important then the view out the window, and if I am fighting to land at a strange airport at minimums, I don't tend to spend a lot of time admiring the view.

you dont need a paid version of fsuipc for either version all you need is the free version for the wind shifts etc, but if u want to assign keys etc and other things than you need the paid version, plus if you dont want to admire the view than stick with as21012 plus this is the rex thread so what else do you expect people to say about it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have to agree on Paul with this one. Asking a similar question on either the REX or AS2012 forums will probably yiled slightly biased responses. At least here in the PMDG forums (or AVSIM) we can discuss both products on equal footing.

Personally, as an owner of both REX and AS2012, I'd love to know if they both compliment each other just as well as they once had in the past, or if this new Essentials makes AS2012 obsolete. I'm curious to see if we can get a review on that.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

To be honest, it's early days yet. Too early to make any definitive statements in regard to comparing the AS2012 weather engine and REXE weather engine.

REXE is now very capable, there's a plethora of settings to play with and thus, REXE users are still experimenting with the various options. We are all still learning.

Give it a few weeks to allow for any necessary service packs and recommended settings to emerge and we will have a better idea.

Two issues i have at the moment though are as follows...

Stutters more than the old REX and I have found that weather at my chosen airport isn't matching the forecast weather. may be my settings, but I notice there are reports on the REX forum of this behaviour.

I think it is a very exciting product though and when we get used to the myriad of settings and the developer releases any required patches it'll be regarded very highly. And yes, perhaps an AS2012 beater.

If you are happy AS2012 owners, and you want to fly with real weather on a jet distances - stick with AS2012...

REX Ess - nice textures, good presentation of overcast skies, lack of certain features, too slow in loading, some funny behavior with the weather, flashing skies, real weather - almost but not there yet..

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

takes me 3 and half minutes to load the weather in rexe have no flashing skies so it depends on one machines it is installed in

Peter kelberg

If you are happy AS2012 owners, and you want to fly with real weather on a jet distances - stick with AS2012...

REX Ess - nice textures, good presentation of overcast skies, lack of certain features, too slow in loading, some funny behavior with the weather, flashing skies, real weather - almost but not there yet..

Hi Martin,

Watching this thread with interest, seems like I will stick to AS2012 as the weather engine and maybe install REX Essentials using cloud textures.

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

Hi Martin,

Watching this thread with interest, seems like I will stick to AS2012 as the weather engine and maybe install REX Essentials using cloud textures.

I think thats the way to go, active sky for weather, rex for textures

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Yep, that's how I've got it at the moment. Very happy with it so far.! :Nerd:

REXE Wx works differently on all machines. People should really try both weather engines (REXE & AS20012/ASE) before just taking people's word for it, because not everyone is on the same system.

takes me 3 and half minutes to load the weather in rexe have no flashing skies so it depends on one machines it is installed in

Same here

REXE Wx works differently on all machines. People should really try both weather engines (REXE & AS20012/ASE) before just taking people's word for it, because not everyone is on the same system.

+1

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

That is how I'm doing it and works great.

Jerry Sterner