Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

REX Essential released

Better than it used to be, but not yet as good as As2012. I'll still use Rex for the graphics, but stick to As2012 for the weather.

Bob

Ok, REXE only for textures. BUT, will I get lower fps than using AS2012 textures?

James Goggi

Lower FPS answer is NO but you never know every system is different.

Rich Sennett

I tried both Wx generators, and for me the Active Sky generator does a better job with winds aloft.

In REXE, I was seeing constant wind spiking and shifting which made my speed tape bounce up and down rapidly. I also had some major S-turns in REXE that I don't get in AS when using PMDG aircraft.

Also, AS will give you winds aloft data for every waypoint of your imported flightplan, plus it gives the average wind speed and direction for the whole flight (extremely useful when inputting data in the NGX CDU on the PERF page for fuel consumption).

REXE won't give you any of that data, but the accuracy of their winds aloft when flying is pretty close to what is reported real world.

However, the textures in REXE are the best I've ever seen and imo trump the AS2012 textures.

So for me, it's REXE for textures, and AS for weather.

REXE for textures, and AS for weather.

Status Quo

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

I don't know if this was mentioned earlier because <sorry> I haven't read completely through the several pages in this thread.

It makes sense to me that if you choose to uninstall Rex+Overdrive and Install Essentials, that a necessary first step would be to fire up REX and restore your original FSX textures before uninstalling it. I did that last night without problems. Once Essentials are up and running create a texture backup like in the old REX.

Here is what I did....

Start REX and restore original FSX textures.

Fire up FSX to check if all is okay.

Uninstall REX Overdrive

Fire up FSX again to see if all is okay.

Install new copy of Essentials <downloaded from FSS>

Run Essentials, make backup of FSX textures and completely configure program

Fire up FSX and tweak away. Check operation with PMDG aircraft.

Sorry...just a thought :)

For me, the USP for AS2012 is the ease with which it sets the textures to suit the weather for my planned route. While the REX textures were better then those from Active Sky, they were not better enough to justify the added hassle and time involved in getting them set up correctly for my planned flight, which is why I ended up uninstalling REX and Overdrive. I accept that people have different standards and expectations from mine, and for many, the 'time and hassle' that I am complaining about is completly worthwhile. However, from what I am reading here, that situation does not seem to have changed with Essentials.

Actually rex essential has improved from the previous version, u didnt say you even tried essentials at all but just gave up saying its just too hard, considering that other as2102 users havn't mentioned anything about being too hard to use. Plus rex does set the textures to suit one plan flight route just as easy as well,plus there are so many more options to choose from then from the previous version.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I have absolutly no doubt that Essentials is better then REX, and I have never suggested otherwise. My point is that AS2012, by including textures which are good enough, by tightly integrating them to the weather for your plan, and by loading them quickly enough, changed the game to point where REX and Overdrive became redundent and I have heard nothing about Essentials that changes that basic fact from even its most ardent fans.

Instead of telling me that I am thick and lazy, why not tell me what you think it is that makes Essentials shine?

Since everyone here is using either rexe in combination with As or rexe by itself, so if everyone is using it explains it for me

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I'm not.

Like most people I used to use ASE and Rex (+OD), and like most people, I switched to using AS2012. Like many people, I then uninstalled Rex, even though it had better textures then AS2012.

You seem happy with RexE, so I am happy for you, but you do not seem to be in a position to answer what I thought was a rather simple and obvious question so if it is all the same to you, I will continue to wait for someone to come along who can tell me that in their opinion "RexE is better then AS2012 because..." or "AS2012 with RexE is better then AS2012 on its own because ..." and I can then evaluate their reasons and decide how they apply to my situation.

Paul, as you are (or were ?) a REX (+ OD) user, why don't you try it yourself on your own system how REX-E is doing ? You don't even have to pay for it. If you purchased REX at the FSS, you have the full installer for FREE. If you didn't, you can have the upgrade to REX-E also for FREE. Only you can do the (many) tests with all its features and see if you like it or not. Don't let someone else tell you if it's good or not.

I would like to try rexe but I'm still waiting for rexe + OD.

I really don't want to uninstall Rex + OD considering the hassle to install it!

David DD

I'm not.

Like most people I used to use ASE and Rex (+OD), and like most people, I switched to using AS2012. Like many people, I then uninstalled Rex, even though it had better textures then AS2012.

You seem happy with RexE, so I am happy for you, but you do not seem to be in a position to answer what I thought was a rather simple and obvious question so if it is all the same to you, I will continue to wait for someone to come along who can tell me that in their opinion "RexE is better then AS2012 because..." or "AS2012 with RexE is better then AS2012 on its own because ..." and I can then evaluate their reasons and decide how they apply to my situation.

I cant see why you keep asking about other people views on rexe only one person can make their mind up is that is your self, since you had rex and o/d that makes rexe a free update for yourself. Since you dont wont make the effort to install rexe and see how it works out for you and than you can make your own judgement.Least other people made the effort at least trying it for themselves to see how it performs on their pcs

Peter kelberg

I am glad other people have made the effort, and I would like to hear the results of that effort. Why is that so hard to accept?

I am currently downloading the 4.2Gb update at a pretty woeful 250kb/sec (and that is over a corporate link). If I didn't have the option of doing this at work, I would want a pretty compelling reason to try it at home which no one has yet offered me. And I get it for free! Tell me, please, why would you suggest to anyone who has AS2012 that they should pay for RexE?