Sign in to follow this  
D_Dragon

GTX580 resolution with Th2GO DE

Yesterday I installed my new TH2GO DE. At the moment I am (still) using a Sapphire Radeon HD 7700 videocard and, after I iinstalled the latest firmware and drivers, the maximum resolution I can get is 3840x1024 (3x 1280x1024). I am using 22" monitors (Iiyama) with a syncrate of 55 Hz. According to the website of Matrox the maximum resolution a TH2GO can give is 5760x1080 (3x 1920x1080) but only at 50 Hz. I searched for monitors which are able to cope with that 50 Hz, but only found monitors for 55/56 Hz minimum.

In principal this is no problem and I am happy with the view I now have. BUT. I am planning to buy a GTX580 (as a lot of you guys have) and I am wondering what is the maximum usable resolution that you can achieve on non 50 Hz monitors? If this is considerably more than my current resolution I am thinking of altering the sequence in which to buy components for a new to build rig.

Thanks in advance,

Theo.

I have sort of a similar issue. I think it has something to do with the TH2Go using a maximum of 3840x1080 for HDMI monitors. My monitors don't have a DVI port on them. With DVI, you get the full 5760x1080 resolution.

THe TH2GO is connected to a DVI connector on the videocard. The left and middle monitors are connected with a DVI/DVI cable (supplied with the monitor) and the right monitor is connected with a (long) DVI/HDMI cable because the supplied DVI/DVI cable is too short.

So what is the maximum usable resolution with à GTX580 and a TH2GO DE that you guys can archieve?

Thanks in advance,

Theo.

DVI Dual Link gives me 5760x1080@50Hz. Beware, You have to have a big amount of RAM video for such a resolution (my GTX580 Windforce can handle it pretty well)

My current videocard (as mentioned a Sapphire Radeon HD 7770) only has a DVI-I output (as has my older Sapphire Radeon HD 5770). The cable supplied by Matrox is a DVI-DL cable. But that is quite besides the point. I like to now what resolution you guys are getting with a GTX580 card (which, as far as I am informed) also has a DVI-I connector.

Greetings,

Theo.

I would suggest you update your graphics card and/or monitors to accommodate a native multi-monitor setup rather than relying on TH2Go, which is rather outdated technology. For example, my graphics card (a GTX 680) can run 3 monitors natively, without the need for any additional hardware. I have a single 27" 2560x1440 monitor at the moment and have two more identical displays on order. When they arrive, I shall be connecting them via HDMI, DVI (and perhaps DisplayPort). It's all supposed to "just work".

I have already looked at the connector(s) of my video card. They are DVI-I. I nowhere mentioned that they were single link (because they are not). The 7770 as well as a GTX580 have DVI-I dual link connectors. But again that is quite besides the point. I already have the 7770 and I also have got a TH2GO DE and three monitors @55Hz. I am not looking to get a better resolution with my current setup because (I think) I already have the maximum resolution with this setup and it suits me fine.

I am planning to build a new rig and I was wondering what the maximum resolution is that can be acchieved with the three monitors @55 Hz, the TH2GO DE and a GTX580 card. On the Matrox site it only says that the maximum resolution can be 5760x1080 (3x 1920x1080) @50HZ, not what the maximum resolution can be @55Hz. That is al I like to now from the users of a GTX580 / TH2GO DE combo.

If this combi yields a (far) better resolution I am thinking of buying the GTX580 before I buy the rest of my new rig. If the resolution is not (far) better than my current resolution, I will buy the MOBO and so before I buy the GTX580. That's all there is to it.

Greeting,

Theo

This is limited to DVI throughput. I cannot provide the details from where I am now, but please google for a DVI bandwidth calculator - I've seen some back in the days. You will have precise refreshment settings for a specific resolution (or even specific resolution for provided refresh rate). It should be between 5-6 Mpix, so my guess it would be 5040x1050.

I hope this would be some help for You.

I have googled for a DVI bandwith calculator as you said and I found the one for the EmSai Project that I used. I played around with some different resolutions and found that 5040x1040@55Hz needs 10.36Gb while a DL DVI can only support 9.9Gb so I guess that won't work. The resoution I currently use (3840x1024@55Hz) needs a bandwith of 7.7Gb, so that will explain why I can't get a higher resolution with my current videocard. That would also implicate that I can't get a higher resolution when I buy a GTX580 because it uses the same DVI connector (Dual Link DVI-I).

According to the Matrox site the maximum resolution with a DL DVI connector should be 5040x1030@57Hz (3x 1680x1050). I installed the latest firmware in the TH2GO DE and also the latest driver on my W7-64 system (both dated june 3, 2011). However the 5040x1050 resolution is not available on my videocard. Is it available on a GTX580 card?

Read my post. If you use a graphics card that can support 3 monitors natively (I.e. GTX 670/680) you won't have this problem. It is a technical limitation which cannot be overcome, so you either change your hardware or live with the limitation.

My setup is running at 5040x1050

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

If that resolution is giving you not enough fps, than you can try with 4320x900

Keep in mind that with multiple monitors an enormous amount of pixels have to be calculated.

You cannot compare that to a single outside view monitor.

But if your setup can handle it it can be very nice.

Beside flying I also like to do some plane spotting .

( The screenshot below is with 2 monitors for outside view, but you'll get the idea )

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0