Sign in to follow this  
megs8888

VOXATC OR FSX ATC?

Hi guys Will/ Clive recommend a atc program or just use the fsx standard, I was thinking of VOXATC? Any ideas would be great I am just learning ATC speak. Cheers Wayne.

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Hi Wayne, I dont use VOXATC but for what I have heard/seen on demos it is way better than the default FSX ATC package.

Of course, they both integrate with MCE so they should really add to the immersion.

VOXATC has a 7 day trial before you buy feature, my suggestion is to get MCE up and running first, maybe get comfortable with FSX ATC and then try the VOXATC demo.

I think (someone correct me) but you can even get you MCE First Officer to handle comms with ATC while you do the flying!!

I agree with Will, again I've never used VOXATC. I used Radar Contact with MCE and all I would say that combo works well. MCE provides a very good ATC manual which is good reading and will help you in the ATC phraseology.

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Hi Wayne, I dont use VOXATC but for what I have heard/seen on demos it is way better than the default FSX ATC package.

Of course, they both integrate with MCE so they should really add to the immersion.

Is that true ? It's a long time since I looked at Vox ATC, but when I did, it was a completely different animal, and there was no MCE interface. MCE allows you to talk to FSX ATC of Radar Contact. I don't believe you can talk to VoxATC with MCE, although it may be that you can have your FO do so.

When I looked at VoxATC, I found it too complex and restrictive for the sort of flying that I do (mainly VFR). I liked the greater flexibilty that MCE offered in terms of my ATC phraseology. With VoxATC it seemed more like reading from a script.

I will find out Dick, but i think you will find voxatc is fixed script driven, which is why i chose MCE over all other voice interface programs.

Repeating the same words and phrases again and again like a parrot is not my idea of realistic crew interaction!

I will find out Dick, but i think you will find voxatc is fixed script driven, which is why i chose MCE over all other voice interface programs.

Repeating the same words and phrases again and again like a parrot is not my idea of realistic crew interaction!

That was certainly my understanding too !

Hi everyone....... Ray L (Blackbird) here.......

My .02 about VoxATC...... it is a very nice script driven ATC program. I am certainly no expert with it (as I don't tend to use the SID and STAR capability).

I will say this - you can indeed hand off the radio duties to your F.O. - (no, not MCE....sorry). You just press the "K" key. Something I just learned, you can even talk to the F.O. to tell him/her to call the next controller (or, you can also just press your PTT button on your yoke, if you wish). Nice. Personally, I prefer to handle everything to do with ATC myself - (i.e. - responding to ATC, following their "commands") while letting MCE tune my radios, set the correct altitude, speed, heading etc..

Please understand - MCE will NOT talk to VoxATC as such (someone correct me, please, if I'm wrong). But the two programs work together very well. If you assign the delete key to a button on your yoke (go FSUIPC!!!!) then this will naturally mute your ATC comments away from MCE, while allowing full comm to VoxATC. Very Cool!!!!!

Also, If you have any voices like the ATT natural voices, or the very nice IVONA voices, VoxATC works superbly with these. (They also work very well with MCE, but I prefer the recorded voices that come with MCE.)

The setup/configuration is very well done in VoxATC - lots of options. Any voices you own can be used as pilots or controllers (so you'll have lots of company while flying!!) All other aspects of the program are also very adjustable.......nice flexibilty, IMHO. There are also free VoxPOP voices available from VoxATC - they are ok, but use a lot of memory when in use.....however, they work fine.

As much as I have always enjoyed using Radar Contact (and I still do).....VoxATC is a nice change of pace - oh, BTW, it generates its own traffic, so turn off any other traffic you have (in the FSX.CFG). Both programs get along really well with MCE.

Ok - that's it for now. Have a nice evening, everyone.

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Ray,if voxatc generates its own traffic, what happens if you own Ut2 or another AI traffic program???

Is there an ATC add on program that also controls whatever AI traffic program you have???

Good morning, Will....... Ray Landolt (Blackbird) here.

About using other traffic packages while running VOX....... I use Traffic X. If I leave that traffic turned up (say to 40%, just to pick a number), it seems that VoxATC adds its own traffic level to that level. In other words, you get saturated with traffic very quickly. That being said - I have noticed that no matter how high I turn up VoxATC's traffic (even up to 100%), I get no "hit" in fps - seems unaffected. So what I've taken to doing is turning off Traffic X's traffic (in my FSX.cfg), and in the VOX setup I turn up its traffic to 100%. Seems good for me. When I use Radar Contact, then I go into FSX.cfg and set its traffic back up to about 50%.

I do NOT know for sure if Vox controls "outside" traffic (like UT2 or Traffic X) as well as its own. I THINK it does......sometime I'll just sit and watch.....I'm always too impatient, and just get under way without really noticing that sort of thing.....sorry.

Of course, you could try this: in the VOX setup, tell it to set its own traffic level to Zero, and see what happens - then you could see if it controls your UT2 traffic.

BTW - I believe there is a VoxATC Forum on AVSIM - maybe you could check there for answers.

OK - clear as mud, right?!!

Take care.....

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Thanks Ray, i have ALWAYS flown on vatsim, last night i did a flight using fsx atc, i was stunned!

The interaction with MCE blew me away, it waits for me to confirn an instruction before replying to atc, changes frequencies, codes, absolutely fantastic!!!

Might have to get rc4 or voxatc to fly off vatsim a little more!!

Hi again, Will........yeah, I enjoy both RC4 and VoxATC - each has strengths (and weaknesses), but both are very enjoyable. The Meatwater voices (prerecorded) that work in RC4 are quite remarkable (much like Trav in MCE).......very "human" in their response. The "chatter" they add to RC4 is also amazing. It's non-stop, and lots of fun. VoxATC does not give quite so much of this chatter of AI planes, but there is a decent amount (especially if you turn up Vox's traffic). Also, Vox allows you to add voices as pilots and controllers (from any ATT or Ivona voices you may own - as many as you want. Pretty neat, really.)

Best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

I was watching a video on you tube of MCE with default FSX ATC. The default ATC was using the updated terminology for ground ops (replaced the old position and hold command). Is this something which MCE brings to FSX?

Rob

Hi all,

As may be seen in my videos, I always use Radar Contact v4.

I gave up with native FSX ATC due to its old habit of obsessive "go arounds" :lol:

I toyed with VOX ATC, looks a great product but it won't interface with MCE.

Radar Contact v4 will integrate with MCE.

MCE allows you to use "William" and very soon "Lorna" first officers, to "work" your radios, with Radar Contact V4.

You just install the MCE RC4 voice packs as per MCE instructions included in the download. Then you have William (or Lorna) as options to work the ATC for RC4. 

The MCE RC4 ATC would be worked by on screen RC4 menu selection and Will or Lorna would do all the talking. Of course if you wanted to talk to RC4 ATC you still can. Just PTT.

A final thought, if you have a three position flight deck, e.g. MD-11 or Concord, you could have any 1st officer in the MCE crew list, sitting on your right and have William (or Lorna) as your radio operator!

I know the "Flight Engineer" did not usually operate ATC radios on the MD-11 or Concord, but this option allows you to have two glorious MCE crew members flying with you! B)

Best Regards,

David.