Sign in to follow this  
slugger

RNAV Departures

Hi Fellow King Air Drivers!

Does anyone have a way to program RNAV departures? RNAV approaches are available

in the autopilot.

Thanks in advance.

Slugger

Determine which departure and transition you want to fly. A good source for the procedure plates is here:http://www.airnav.com/

Select the departure you want to fly in your GPS. You can then fly it either with AP or hand fly it.

Hello Joe,

I'm very interested in what your saying regarding selecting Departure Procedure in the GPS.

I don't have a clue on how to do that. Could you explain in more details how it is done and

can you confirm you are speaking of the Carenado default Garmin 430 that we find in the C-90 ??

Thank you very much for your help.

Souheil

Joe,

Do you mean it is possible with other GPS ?

Maybe the Reality XP devices ?

Thank you.

Souheil

Guest Mik75

RNAV procedures are no problem with the excellent RXP gauges!

Thanks Michael,

Can you clarify something for me: RNAV procedures are not SID and STAR right ? So can the Reality XP

load SID and STAR to follow ?

Thank you for your time.

Souheil

Guest Mik75

An RNAV procedure consists mainly of GPS waypoints and they are not related to a VOR or a NDB. While SIDs and STARs (which contain Navaids like VORs) are normally used on bigger airports with dense traffic, RNAV procedures are more popular with smaller airports. Transitions from the last wayoint of a STAR to the point where you capture an ILS, are RNAV procedures too. The RXP GNS with its database knows all of them (although the data base used is not the newest version). But you have to be aware of the fact that smaller airfields like the ones in PNW might not have a departure or arrival procedure at all. There, you can still use OBS or the ability to create user waypoints to make yourself an extended center line of the runway you are about to land on, and together with the terrain data you're good to go nearly anywhere, from KSEA to WA38, whether there is ATC or just the silence of a wonderful mountain site... ;-)

The original question was about RNAV Departures. This I took to mean Standard Instrument Departures, SID's. So,yes, I am referring to SID's and STAR's. It seems that there is some confusion that has brought RNAV approaches into the conversation. There is limited functionality in the stock GPS for RNAV approaches. These are generally similar to GPS approaches. In the RXP GNS430WAAS and GNS530WAAS, there is full functionality for SID, STAR, RNAV, GPS, ILS, LOC, WAAS, LPV+V, etc. This is subject to the availability of these procedures in the database. in Auto Pilot mode, the RXP GNS's will fly these procedures as NAV or APR .

The RXP GNS with its database knows all of them (although the data base used is not the newest version)

This may be a bit misleading. I fly in and out of mostly small and medium sized local and regional airports (mostly those without scheduled commercial traffic) and the vast majority of them now have RNAV approaches. However the RXP GNS units as purchased and downloaded from Reality XP are still based on Garmin trainer data from 2009 and most of the GPS fixes in the RNAV approaches for such airports are just not there. I have gone through the procedures detailed in separate threads here on AVSIM and have twice updated my databases for the RXP units with downloads for the Garmin trainer. i.e. these updates are from Garmin, not from RXP. I believe that is what would be necessary to make your statement that "the RXP GNS knows all of them" more accurate. As still more GPS waypoints are added in the real world it will take some time for the Garmin trainer databases to catch up. The most recent Garmin trainer database I have knowledge of is now nearly a year old.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Guest Mik75

Yes, you are absolutely right. Sorry for that! Actually, I wanted to say, that the RXP GNS knows all the different types of procedures I mentioned above. (...like SID, STAR, RNAV, Transition...) and is therefore, coupled with the autopilot, capable of flying them!

I hope I did not cause too much confusion!