Sign in to follow this  
Air1

First Clandestine mission

You get a bunch more points for doing the mission at night, but (as far as I can tell) nothing for doing it in heavy weather. And to avoid the law, I fly 90 degrees off course for about the first 5 minutes, then parallel the course most of the way.

Just did my first run, from Hanamaulu to Dillingham,

day time, over 16k xp !

Followed tips mentioned above, like taking 90 deg turns.

As mentioned, night time points, go to 'free flight' weather conditions, set to dawn, then turn clock back one hour, and it wil be 'seen' as night. extra points.

Make it clear weather for less stress.

So, if flying at night doesn't affect your aircraft's visibility (by that I mean the security plane spotting and ID'ing you) then is there a tactical advantage of keeping your lights off?

So, if flying at night doesn't affect your aircraft's visibility (by that I mean the security plane spotting and ID'ing you) then is there a tactical advantage of keeping your lights off?

In my experience it does not matter. I've used a technique similar to EastCoastGuy (only I deviate considerably less), and I have sometimes had the external lights on and sometimes off, but don't think I attracted any more attention when on. Maybe it matters during the night, never tried that. I do believe it's important to stay out of controlled airspace, that is not go within a few NMs of airports with towers, but I could be wrong.

BTW, have anyone ever escaped when the cops return the second time? Once, when flying clandestine from that tiny dirt strip NNW of Kona I got busted before I begun my takeoff roll :)

BTW, have anyone ever escaped when the cops return the second time? Once, when flying clandestine from that tiny dirt strip NNW of Kona I got busted before I begun my takeoff roll :)

I could never escape once spotted, which I why I gave up on clandestine jobs. The first time I tried one I had no problem at all, and every time after that I got busted. It seems there are two events that may be triggered: one is your copilot spotting a plane in the distance (which I could never see), quickly followed by them saying that plane is gone.

The other trigger is when a patrol aircraft is much closer and can see you - the voice actor's lines are different in that case. They tell you to try to avoid the cops, but offer no hints as to how you might accomplish that. Flying low, in an aircraft that's much slower and less maneuverable than the cops' RV, you stand no chance. I've tried course changes, but no matter what I do, the cops get ever closer, and eventually it's "mission failed" every time. Really frustrating, you stand no chance once that trigger kicks in.

I could see no difference between day and night, and trying to hide in valleys between high hills didn't help at all.

I have never heard of anyone ditching the cops, however I think it might be possible.

I've done quite a few of these so far, and I have gotten the message of a plane nearby followed immediately by it disappearing probably 10 times. I've never even bothered to adjust my heading. Been lucky so far I guess!

Duh, I meant Kaupulehu, which is NNE of Kona...

I swear... I've never even SEEN or HEARD from the cops on a clandestine mission.

I just stay under 1000ft AGL, and keep the destination point off to the left, or right, of the end of the horizontal crosshair until the co-pilot tells me it's safe to make my normal approach. Usually about 5nm from the destination.

Lights on, lights off, it doesn't seem to matter.

I have never heard of anyone ditching the cops, however I think it might be possible.

Wohoo! I just outran them. I was flying a very short clandestine hop from Pahali to Kaalaiki (less than 40 nm) at night. When I was halfway the cops appeared really quickly, that is seconds from the first warning until they were over me. I immediately turned off all internal and external lights, and dived really steeply towards the sea. Luckily there was a cliff between me and the sea so I could overspeed ridiculously, exceeding 200 knots I believe. Once I reached the sea I followed the coastline, and noticed that the cops were no longer circling, but rather was flying directly towards the destination. So we were on the same course, about 3 nm apart. When I got to within 5 nm of the destination, the cops did not disappear, but continued to directly overfly the destination and continuing on the same course. What a thrill!

I've only been able to track the cops one time, keeping my distance and evading them when they turned. I normally get the "aircraft sighted" message instantly followed by the "all clear." It may even repeat a few times. Something's bugged, I guess.

Wohoo! I just outran them.

Awesome! Thanks for the report, I have not tried that method, so I will give it a whirl.

I`ve only done a few clandestine missions but I have never been coaught by the cops. Nearest I get is a plane being sighted nearby, which soon disappears anyway. They must have had the day off when I did mine! lol

I did my first clandestine mission and i was flying at 1400 ft with no problem. the passenger warned me only once about flying too high. It's probably because I was flying over land (Big Island)and not water

Yes, the 1000' rule is referring to your height above the surface.

If you decided to smuggle something over the top of Mauna Kea, you'd need to keep your altitude under 14,800' as you passed over the peak. Just%20Kidding.gif