Sign in to follow this  
bblackkbirdd

Question about MD-11 and MCE

Hi everyone...

Quick question...... does the MD-11 (FSX version) work with MCE? I can't get it to. I start MCE as I always do (starting a default flight with the Trike), then I load the MD-11. MCE immediately stops working. Has anyone had any luck with this combo? While I'm at it - I can't get MCE to play nicely with the FSX version of the PMDG 747, either.

I have had great luck with MCE and the PMDG 737 NGX......... lots of fun! Also the Captain Sim 757 (please don't Booo! Haa haa!) - Since the latest update for the '75, it's not toooo bad a plane. Just don't try to capture the ILS unless you are PERFECTLY positioned!! :Thinking: Also, MCE works very well with the Level D 767.

The new Carenado Beech C90B has also worked well with MCE. And of course their Baron B58.

Oops! Sorry, I'm "wandering".....it's my age!!!

Thanks!

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Hello Ray,

I fly the PMDG MD-11 more than any other aircraft, and it was the first reason I purchased MCE....the only Voice control available for it...

I uploaded this video to You Tube:

Ray,

Re-reading your post, you start MCE with FSX, correct?

Can I get you to try something....start FSX, shutdown MCE...load the MD-11 you always fly, put it at a gate, THEN start MCE...once it starts, go to the MCE control panel, to the "Checklists" tab, and it should say "generic jet"....change this to the MD-11, it should then ask you if you want this checklist associated with this aircraft, select YES, it should scan your aircraft...and you should be right to go.

Let me know if it works. By the way, what version of MCE are you using?

Well, let's try this again!!! Don't know what happened..... I replied, clicked POST, and Boom! It went to computer heaven!!

OK - Hi, Will....... thanks for your reply to my question. I do NOT start MCE at the same time as FSX. I start it after FSX is up and running (with the Trike parked). Then I start MCE - works every time. I am using MCE 2.4.8.6 (second newest version).

Afrer I have MCE running, I then change planes - if I try to use the MD-11, however, MCE just dies. So, I don't kow how I can do what you suggest; unless I start MCE with a working plane (like the PMDG 737), then do what you suggest - don't know if that's possible, though.

I will not try it tonight, however, as it's getting a bit late here in New Hampshire. My day starts at 4:30 a.m., so no more FSX for me tonight. I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out.

Thank you very much!!

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Hi Ray,

Basically what i am suggesting is to change planes and load the MD11, then start MCE.

See how it goes from there

Do you get a Windows event log entry when the thing happens with the MD-11? Strange thing to see other planes working and just one or two struggling though.

Maybe the Windows DEP is preventing the dlls for the 747 and MD-11 from working correctly. Just guessing though.

Apart from what coolP suggested, make sure UAC is disabled, and “fsx.exe” isn’t set to run in compatibility mode (run as under windows XP, Vista etc…).

Also, right-click fsx.exe, go to properties, the compatibility tab, and set the exe to run as administrator.

When FSX is installed to the \Program Files\ folder, Windows will prevent it from editing the “aircraft.cfg”.

Normally for every livery you load the first time, FSX will add a [fltsim.X] section to the “aircraft.cfg”

My guess is that when MCE starts and tries to find which livery is loaded, it’s unable to find the info in the aircraft.cfg file and throws its hands up.

MCE never edits “aircraft.cfg” or “panel.cfg” files. Only reads them.

It doesn’t hurt to double-check the “aircraft.cfg” itself isn’t locked in “read-only” mode.

I’ve seen on another thread a reference to the “Flight1 Cessna Mustang” not working.

Based on feedback from users, MCE works OK with that aircraft via the generic interface. One thing reported as not working is the “altitude” dialling in auto-pilot (speed and heading are OK).

Hi, everyone!! Ray Landolt (Blackbird) here with you from cloudy southern NH, USA.

First of all - Hi, Mr Reilly - Wow! A Dev checks this Forum....... terrific!! Thank you!!!!

Ok - to everyone who wrote - thank you as well.....some great ideas and suggestions. (As I also received from Condor1 and others on the other MCE Forum - is it Rainbird?) Did I mention..... I LOVE MCE!!!!!! Great software!!!!

Let's see, how to start this.......

I run WIndows 7 64 bit - as the Administrator. FSX is installed in a top level directory right off the C: drive..... (as in C:\Flight Sim X)....so no prob with the "famed" Program Files x86 nonsense. I am a loooooong time Flight Sim fan (since the days of Bruce Artwick.....yeah, I'm very old!!!) I run an ASUS P35D3 Platuinum mobo, 8 gigs of ram, an nVidia Video card....2 hard drives....big power supply.....a 30 inch and a 22 inch monitor......very stable machine.

OK - sorry for "wandering"........(time for my meds) - haa haa!

To Mr Reilly - everything in your reply I am currently doing - as far as "setup". As I said, I am having great luck with MCE and the PMDG planes (great with the SDK, eh?) and several other jets and a few prop planes. But thank you, Sir.

To Mr Reynolds - I did as you suggested (once I could get MCE not to "crash out" while the MD-11 loaded) - guess what? When I changed the checklist as per your suggestion - IT WORKS!!! Yaaaay!!!! Thank you!!!!

Now - here is my question: Mr Reilly - would it be possible for you to program the ability for us to "inject" the checklist for a given plane into MCE BEFORE we start MCE - so MCE would scan the setup - and go "oh, ok I know how to deal with this aircraft". Does this make sense?

Anyway - thank you all for your suggestions. I can already see this is going to be a great Forum!!!

I will try the Cessna Mustang again - doing what I did with the MD-11 (using the generic interface). However, I don't think MCE will be able to control speed on the Mustang, as there is no autothrottle on this aircraft (if i'm not mistaken.) Would be great if the Altitude could be set with MCE.

Alright, I've taken enough of everyone's time with this. Have a great evening! I'm going to go over and make a comment about MCE and FSX (another question that someone asked the other day (yesterday?)

What a great hobby this is!!!!

All best,

Ray L (Blackbird)

Ray,

Great to hear it works.

Now that MCE knows what aircraft and what checklist to read for it, you should be able to do what you have always done, load the trike, load MCE, and load the MD11.

If you clicked "yes" to use that checklist for the particular aircraft AND repaint model, MCE will do the rest.

Happy flying!

Hi Will...... can you clarify what you mean in this sentence......"If you clicked "yes" to use that checklist for the particular aircraft AND repaint model, MCE will do the rest".

Specifically, you mention repaint model - is this important? How do I tell MCE what repaint model I'm using?

Thank you.......

Best,

Ray Landolt (Blackbird)

Hi Ray, what i meant is the aircraft you chose.

For example, you load the American Airlines MD11, you go to MCE's control panel, and assign your aircraft the PMDG MD11 checklist. It will ask if you wish to assign the checklist to this aircraft (American Airlines MD11) in the future, select yes and you are done.

Next time you load the American Airlines MD11, the program will recognise the aircraft type and variant and load the checklist automatically and you will be able to run the scripts.

However, if you load the Delta MD11 or default factory paint MD11 you have to do the above steps and tell the program what checklist you want to use with that aircraft variant.

But you only do it once per aircraft variant.

Hope that helps?

Ahhhh....... Thanks, Will.....yes, that helps very much! I appreciate it!

Wouldn't have thought that choosing the same aircraft with a different paint job would matter.......apparently it does, but just the first time you load it.

OK - thanks! What a GREAT resource this community is!!!!!

Best,

Ray L (Blackbird)