Sign in to follow this  
Pappyhep

New Avsim Format

Hi Guys -

Just can't get into your new format. It seems too busy and unorganized when compared to the old one. I think somebody got you to buy into that "any change must be a good thing" thought process.

How about you do one day of the old style and one day of the new style and then have your members vote on which they prefer.

Pappyhep...a long time admirer

I totally agree.

The new style / format is awful.

The look is very amateur, and confusing. I cannot seem to find the search option.

Well done AVSIM for ruining a perfectly good site.

Never has the phrase "IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T TRY TO FIX IT" been more appropriate.

HUGE disappointment.

I have to agree, what the heck is this thing and how to I get the old one back? I just want to type in what I want, and hit search. It's not rocket science. I don't care if it's not pretty, or integrated with the main site, I simply want something that works.

Scott

I am also not happy with it. Took some time to find the area of the library I wanted. It is slow and I am getting a whole heap of

Oops! Something went wrong! Furthermore there seems to be a vast majority of files where the author is unknown. Try finding a Ray Smith afcad by author's name - not a chance.

And under Top Authors what on earth is this all about.

• Unknown Author
    101,465,945 Total File Downloads
  • Garfield_x
    11,778,530 Total File Downloads
  • BillyR
    805,181 Total File Downloads
  • venexiano
    598,791 Total File Downloads

We have been here before haven't we? Didn't they try to change the format a year or two ago and due to the outcry reverted to the tried and trusty format we all like?

I really dislike this format - I and others know it from e.g. Orbx and it is no where near as user friendly and easy to navigate.

In particular, the search for downloads is significantly worse. Also, I cannot see preview images in the page showing the latest downloads - this is critical for time saving when checking this site daily. I will stick to flightsim I guess, however their new format is also inferior to the previous one.

I do not think for either web site this is a case of people being old stick in the muds and too wedded to the status quo they have become comfortable with. There are objectively more steps needed to access things that were easier to use previously.

The most important feature of a "file library" is supposed to be the "search" facility. In this new version it has been made the most insignificant feature and not only that it doesn't work!!!

I tried to find my uploaded files and all I got was "no results found" So either they have lost my files or the pathetic search facility doesn't work!

It's quite rediculous to have to rely on topic comment to discover how to search the new library. It should be clear obvious and intuitive.

Some people may go onto the library just to browse but most use it to search for something. That's the most important feature "MAKE IT SO!"

vololiberista

Yes, this is pretty bad, not simple to search for files anymore.

How do you search for files now?

I must be blind, but I can't get it.

Agreed...

Please give us a clear link to an advanced search utility, preferably one that can handle a sequence of words and spaces as a single string. I have to say that searching for 'Air France' didn't work too well with the old system either as it seemed to call up all instances of 'Air' and all instances of 'France'.

Personally, I can't see the search function at all, never mind an advanced utility.

A string of mouse clicks to whittle away the section of the library being ... searched... isn't much help when the section is reduced only to several thousand files, all of which apparently must be trawled through by hand in order to find one or two potentially useful files. I suppose a number of library users enjoy the 'most recent uploads' facility and collect everything but what of those of us who want to find, say, a specific livery for a specific aircraft, or a specific ICAO afcad by a particular author?

And how about incorporating the old 'scan' mode?

Or even providing a short tutorial?

The foregoing aside, I do like the new appearance and layout much more than the old, so here's a big thank-you for what you've done so far.

Ta very much.

D

Horrible, just horrible.

I'd rather go to FlightSim or Simivation (and suffer slower downloads) than use Avsim any more. You tried this before I believe and it failed, but I guess nobody learnt their lesson. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

How do you search for files now?

I must be blind, but I can't get it.

You have to read a FAQ !!! Unbelievable but true!!!

vololiberista

Great to see that the old library is back on!

Why do you have to change something that works so perfectly anyway?

Please keep the old library system!

Dominik