Sign in to follow this  
certs

A New Beginning

I'm writing to you in this area because I want a more Technical Opinion from the PROS. I've been a member for some time here at AVSIM and have enjoyed all you folks bring to this community. I was forced away from this for almost 2 years due to personal matters etc. I want to get back into it, but I am starting from ground zero, I mean everything from computer to flight sim software. I was looking for some solid advise as to the best way to load up my computer, ( hard drive, video card, processor, etc ) and which Flight Sim software is the best to use at the present, Microsoft X, X-Plane? I was using FS9, which I enjoyed, most of the time...lol. Your input would be greatly appreciated in this matter. Thank you, Jim Certusi jcertus@hotmail.com.

Welcome back to the hobby Jim.

Best thing is to do lots of reading of posts and ask questions. The hobby has really catapulted ahead since you left, especially FSX. Hope you have fun.

Kind regards,

A good place to start would be reading Word Not Allowed's Hardware and Software Guide. It is stickied here on AVSIM at the top of the hardware xupport forum.

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

After some helpful advice on the hardware forum here, I bought a new machine from iBuyPower. My old machine was dying, and given its age I decided to go with a complete replacement rather than piecemeal upgrades. I've been very happy with the new system. I stayed with Windows XP, mostly because I still have my yoke and pedals, old Gameport devices that are not supported, even though a USB adapter, on Windows 7. Since I already had FS9 with a lot of traffic and scenery I added myself, I stuck with that, too, and added REX and GE Pro to get those great improvements.

Hi Jim !

Dash8-BIKF-April-th.jpg lor54-th.jpg

I was looking for some solid advise as to the best way to load up my computer, ( hard drive, video card, processor, etc ) and which Flight Sim software is the best to use at the present, Microsoft X, X-Plane? I was using FS9, which I enjoyed, most of the time...lol.

I was also using FS2004: with add-ons, it's great. What's your current hardware ? I bought my computer end of 2007 (3GHz Core 2 / 8800GT) and my favorite flight simulator today is X-Plane 10.

I ask because you might be able to test demos for new software before deciding If you want to replace FS2004.

Depending on your choice for software, you may select a different operating system and a video card manufacturer with better OpenGL support.

If you like your FS2004 sceneries, you can convert most of them to X-Plane:

http://marginal.org....nery/tools.html

Sb01-th.jpg Sb03-th.jpg xp10-87-th.jpg xp10-90-th.jpg

yak-40-03-th.jpg xp10-25-th.jpgxp10-35-th.jpgxp10-36-th.jpg

Happy flying !