Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

To mesh or not to mesh

Years ago on my old install I tried a mesh, and it totally ruined the experience for me.

I would land the trike on a beach only to find it was really water or vice versa.

The mesh conflicted with scenery.

Also many airbases were on crazy plateaus.

I know there was a way to edit an airbase.. But I do not want to edit 10000 airbases, I fly to a new airbase every flight I don't do regular routes.

So.. Over the last 5 years has the situation changed? Are the new FS Global and Genesis etc without these issues or do they still exist?

My ORBX works well without mesh but I have some spare disk space now and mountain detail would be nice

But I just can't live with immersion killing glitches and I don't want to have to fiddle and tweak mesh or airbases all the time.

Any thoughts from current owners of mesh and scenery combinations like ORBX?

The ORBX scenery comes with it's own mesh, so you might not see much of a difference, if any.

As to the issues of crazy plateaus; they still exist. FS Global has a tool called "Aerodom Flattening Meshes (AFM), which is supposed to fix the plateaus. I don't have FS Global, so I can't tell you anything more than what www.fly2pilots.com says about it.

Ernest Pergrem

Ok yep, probably best to stick with the Holger mesh then.

I don't really fly outside the southern hemisphere so that should cover it really, although less resolution than an FS Global I think. But I prefer hassle free.

fsgenesis current version has very few plateaus. in the last year or two of flights the only one that comes to mind is a small regional airport in romania. in mountainous areas the difference is incredible, i wouldnt fly without it.

with the orbx stuff you are supposed to use their mesh! they set their object heights to match it correctly, you will probably see more glitches without it!

cheers

-andy crosby