Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Can a flight be made between Alaska and the Hawaii...

I mean, using any of the present airplanes?

If a Beaver, or a Twin Otter is added to Alaska, will it be possible?

and...btw, now that I have transposed the 500.000XP "barrier" thx to having started flying jobs, I wonder how you can keep your eyes open when flying those long range (200+ NM ) ones????

What's the secret? Cofee???? Lot's of cofee?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, from Unalaska airport to Lihue is over 2,200 miles / 3,600 km. The Maule would have to refuel 3 times. I'll stick with the shorter hops myself. :smile:

The P-51 could do it, just have to keep going back to the Hanger for "air to air refueling" and yes, lots of coffee! Hopfuly something faster will come along with Alaska. No big jets please.

wonder how you can keep your eyes open when flying those long range (200+ NM ) ones

I have no problem flying a 200+nm job, although my preference is usually one around 90-120nm.

Once I get the Maule to cruise altitude and trimmed out, if I get bored I can leave the computer to do some other things in the meantime coming back occasionally to check my heading.

Now flying real time from Hawaii to Alaska though - I have not desire to do at all, in any plane.

Mustang would have to glide the last 180 miles. Operational range was less than 1,500 miles with drop tanks, but absolute range was a bit more. And over that distance, it might be useful to have a B-17 or B-24 to follow - a plane with a navigator on it. ;-)

Beaver, DC-3 or Twotter won't make it either. DC-4 would - at 190mph.

By comparison, it's only slightly less than the distance from New York to Los Angeles. Even in a jet fighter that would be a long haul.

Slightly OT but I was watching a BBC documentary last night about Britain's Golden Age of flying, in the twenties and thirties. Fascinating archival footage of the big biplanes and the majestic flying boats carrying the super-rich of the day in luxury from London down to South Africa and later across to Australia.

Experiences that can never be repeated, with incredible low-level flying views, and a huge number of re-fuelling stops needed for journeys (adventures?) that might take over a week to complete...

The bit that caught my eye, though (in the context of Flight) was that these long-haul flights were all accomplished by manually flying each leg. No auto-pilot, very primitive navigation, and much of the journey with no ATC either... sounds familiar!

Cheers,

Nick

I was really hoping that the old PanAm Clipper dock in Pearl Harbor's Middle Loch would be there in Flight, but it's not present.

The Flight Maule claims a range of 700 nautical miles, but in practice in Flight you can get twice that much and probably more by leaning the engine and flying high. The Mustang may well be able to make it if the performance is similar.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Once I get the Maule to cruise altitude and trimmed out, if I get bored I can leave the computer to do some other things in the meantime coming back occasionally to check my heading.

Which pretty much accounts for yet another aspect where FLIGHT's FM shines in comparison to others... pitch dynamic stability!!! :-)

Maybe when France or England get released on a LDC, certainly after East USA, we can replicate Lindbergh's adventure!!!! Whow!!! That would be quite a challenge, worse 50.000XPs!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes, the Flight Maule can go well beyond 700nm under optimal conditions. When I flew to Johnston Atoll, I was just hoping to make it down there at all. I actually arrived with more than enough fuel to turn around and fly back to Hawaii if I had wanted. I think the Aleutians are still going to be 500 miles or more out of it's range, but the P-51 should be able to do it running auto-mixture at high altitude.

Have fun doing that, though.

...I flew to Johnston Atoll...

That sounds like it should be printed on a T shirt :)

Its an interesting question. My first response would be "Why not? If you are into that." But responses (well...... response) from MS indicate that they feel it is not a popular option, and they seemed to have little interest in implementing it.

My take is that if the game truly is a round earth, then adding Alaska in would automatically make it available from all other current and future dlc, provided a plane that could cover the distance was available. Unless something has been "broken" or MS decides for some unfathomable reason to explicitly disallow it.

I guess we can only wait and see, since it seems clear MS is not likely to answer the question beforehand.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Now flying real time from Hawaii to Alaska though - I have not desire to do at all, in any plane

If they threw in a bunch of tsunami flotsam and pods of whales it would at least make the long haul over water a bit more interesting.

Is the Johnston Atoll in MS Flight? I found a small island south of Niihau that wasn't on the map, I was wondering if there were any more islands out there that aren't listed on the map