Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Can a flight be made between Alaska and the Hawaii...

Is the Johnston Atoll in MS Flight? I found a small island south of Niihau that wasn't on the map, I was wondering if there were any more islands out there that aren't listed on the map

It sort of exists, but only as an untextured super-low-resolution mesh.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/367506-pushing-back-the-boundaries/

Am i the only one who thinks they pulled the plug on Alaska, i remember a long time ago they said spring. Not one word mentioned about it since then, very weird.

Like the old software development adage:

Designing the first 90% of the program takes 90% of the time. Developing the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

Am i the only one who thinks they pulled the plug on Alaska, i remember a long time ago they said spring. Not one word mentioned about it since then, very weird.

Well, in that case they must have scrapped whatever they demoed at PAX East, which is less than two months ago.

https://news.microsoftflight.com/blogs/news/archive/2012/04/06/get-a-first-look-at-alaska.aspx

It is still Spring in the northern hemisphere. :)

Well, in that case they must have scrapped whatever they demoed at PAX East, which is less than two months ago.

https://news.microso...-at-alaska.aspx

There's some tiny bit of footage from that event on Youtube. First some guy talks, then at 60 seconds we see him fly over Alaskan scenery for about half a minute. Some commenter says it's a Cessna, but to me it looks like the Maule?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6HyHLQIn8

Well in the JH interview, he stated I believe they " hope' to be able to release DLC scenery every 3 months or so.

Not a definitive, yes every 90 days there will be a scenery release.

I am sure they already had it in the pipeline being worked on probably well before the initial release of Flight.

Flight came out on Feb 28th.

Around end of March we had a dlc plane.

Around end of May we are having a dlc plane.

It has been said, this will be the last of the warbird series for Hawaii.

I would guess, we "may" see the Alaska DLC , and hopefully a new plane or two with cockpits, around end of June or so.

All just guesswork on my part or course.

In the interview with Tom he talked about 3-4 packages per year, which also buys them another month. :-)

<<Can a flight be made between Alaska and the Hawaii...>>

jcomm,

I wonder if it would be possible to go from Hawaii to Alaska by glider? I remember watching a documentary on gliders not that long ago and was absolutely shocked by how far they can go with a skilled operator especially with one of the newer gliders that have impressive glide ratios! I doubt it could be done for very long over the ocean as I would think it would be difficult finding good thermals over the ocean to keep going...

Since you're the glider expert, do you know if gliders have ever attempted relatively long distance over-water flight?

I was wondering why we'd seen no footage from the PAX East thing, and that clip is short, but it does look like the Maule, certainly a tail dragger.

Initial excitement at mention of a "jet-based fighter plane" somewhat flattened when I replayed it and found he actually said "Japanese fighter plane". Ah well.

jcomm,

I wonder if it would be possible to go from Hawaii to Alaska by glider? I remember watching a documentary on gliders not that long ago and was absolutely shocked by how far they can go with a skilled operator especially with one of the newer gliders that have impressive glide ratios! I doubt it could be done for very long over the ocean as I would think it would be difficult finding good thermals over the ocean to keep going...

Since you're the glider expert, do you know if gliders have ever attempted relatively long distance over-water flight?

I'll try to find out with my colleagues, but I don't believe it has been done particularly because, as you say, there are no thermals of sufficient power over the Ocean... There is sometimes huge convection, associated with frontal systems etc... but that's not certainly the type of weather a glider pilot should fly accross/in...

Lee Waves could possibly be used, but it would have to be a really big wave system, giving you enough altitude in between to ensure the glide between upstream zones...

I'll try to find more on this subject :-)

There's an interesting paper article here

Meanwhile look here for a nice video of a NASA probe glider being flown near a thunderstorm :-)

[media=]

[/media]

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I took a look at the Corsair's stats on the Market page and saw this:

Maximum Range: 1300 nm

Assuming that leaning out at high altitude yields a range doubling like with the Maule, you can make it all the way to Alaska in one hop.

Have fun with that.