Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Anyone using NGX + GTX 670/GTX 680?

Hi captains,

I've been borrowing a GTX 580 from my friend for a while and now he wants it back, so now I will actually have to buy a new card. I was looking into a GTX 680 initially, but as a 17 year old it's currently out of my budget. So then I looked at the GTX 670, and found that a factory overclocked GTX 670 performs identical to a "vanilla" GTX 680, however, the GTX 670 is cheaper and fits into my budget. The reason why I posted this specifically in the 737NGX forum, is because several people were reporting stuttering with the GTX 680, only in the NGX. Well, currently I can only pay the GTX 670, so I was just wondering, how does the GTX 670/680 (preferably the GTX 670) perform with the NGX? Any stutters or other problems? How does it compare to a GTX 580? Is it a (slight) improvement or a downgrade?

Thanks in advance,

graphics cards for FSX is a difficult one. The 670/680 will technically have plenty of power for fsx, however alot of cards dont work as you think they should. FSX seems to be a very driver dependant program - some weak cards with good drivers will outperform very powerful cards with poor drivers. The best way to find out i guess would be to wait and see what other people are running and how they are finding it. Currently I use a 6950 and ive had very few problems with it. Wait for some more replies before making a choice.

Adam

I can't really comment on Nvidia as i don't own one. But as you can see from my sig i have a new ati card and it spits FSX out ... But getting the right driver is a must i have had issues with some drivers to late...

No offence anyone, your input is appreciated. But please don't waste your time if you are using a different card than the GTX 670 or GTX 680. I'd like input from those specific users. :smile:

No offence anyone, your input is appreciated. But please don't waste your time if you are using a different card than the GTX 670 or GTX 680. I'd like input from those specific users. :smile:

I think what folks are trying to say is that if you want that Nvidia card...buy it. But with FSX a more powerful Nvidia card will not necessarily change what is displayed versus an older Nvidia card. It's been my experience that with the newer cards the driver is key to whether you get display issues such as flickering and other annoyances. All the new cards address graphics card features and technology that was never dialed into FSX.

To me the newer more powerful cards would be important for larger monitor or multi-monitor appications. It's the CPU that has the greatest affect on FSX (my experience). Looking at your system specifications it appears you like to overclock. Unless the folks with the same card you have use theirs on a similar setup, you might not get the same results. Good luck with your request.

:biggrin:

I have a 670, came from a 580, and i have no problems at all to report with the NGX or any other addon for that matter. It's just a better, faster, quieter and cooler 580.

Now if only nVidia looked at FSX and improved the driver a bit... I guess the results would be much better.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I have a 670, came from a 580, and i have no problems at all to report with the NGX or any other addon for that matter. It's just a better, faster, quieter and cooler 580.

Now if only nVidia looked at FSX and improved the driver a bit... I guess the results would be much better.

Thanks a lot for you input mate, it's much appreciated! :smile:

What is the actual FPS difference?

Do you have any (more) stutters in comparison to the GTX 580?

Can you eliminate all (micro)stutters when you use Word Not Allowed's VSync smoothness tweak? Found here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/369500-adaptive-vsync-30fps-new-levels-of-smoothness-in-fs9x/

I'd really appreciate if you could test this for me. :smile: Remember that this will also help other people making the right video card choices.

Thanks in advance!

a 670 or 680... what about a 675? i have one in 2 days (for a laptop however), i might give you feedback on that one (dont know if there is a 675 for pc as well)

I don't notice a huge FPS difference, i do notice the display render is a bit faster but nothing worth mentioning. No more stutters, no less, same thing.

I don't use Word Not Allowed's settings, i use my own 60fps vsync settings which turn down to adaptive when the FPS lower too much. In cruise i'm usually at 60fps and down below with heavy weather and 'heavy' addons i go as low as ~25. Silky smooth nevertheless and this is on a 2560x1440 monitor.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I don't notice a huge FPS difference, i do notice the display render is a bit faster but nothing worth mentioning. No more stutters, no less, same thing.

I don't use Word Not Allowed's settings, i use my own 60fps vsync settings which turn down to adaptive when the FPS lower too much. In cruise i'm usually at 60fps and down below with heavy weather and 'heavy' addons i go as low as ~25. Silky smooth nevertheless and this is on a 2560x1440 monitor.

Thanks again for your input! :smile: Would you mind still trying Word Not Allowed's tweak? Cuz it should create butter smoothness with litterally zero stutters, at least, that was the case with the 5xx series cards. I heard the 6xx series cards have VSync stutters. So I'm just curious if you could try Word Not Allowed's VSync tweak for me and report back if it made your sim smoother or not. :)

Thanks!

I can't judge against a 580, but compared to my old 460GTX the 680 is a major improvement where GPU power is required i.e. rendering clouds, antialiasing and texturing. Native FSX 3D performance seems not to be improved too much since it's totally CPU bound as we all know. Note: My resolution 3840x1024x32

VSync stuttering: I' d rate it as dependent of the nhancer settings. I noticed that different settings will give different 'stutters', though wouldn't rate it as problem, and don't see a decreased vsync performance compared with the 460. Where do I find Kostas tweak? If you'll put me in the right direction I'll try those settings and let you know ....

Joerg Alvermann
Win10 Pro 64Bit - i9-9900KS - GTX980Ti 6GB - 5760x1200

Where do I find Kostas tweak? If you'll put me in the right direction I'll try those settings and let you know ....

Word Not Allowed's tweak can be found here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/369500-adaptive-vsync-30fps-new-levels-of-smoothness-in-fs9x/

Please try it in combination with Ryan's inspector settings. Then apply Word Not Allowed's VSync tweak. It SHOULD get rid of ALL (micro)stutters whenever 30 fps is maintained. Please try it and report back if you totally got reid of all stutters. :) Also remember to delete the ForceFullScreenVsync from the fsx.CFG. Well, most of us know that the 6xx series cards have problems with VSync, it might stutter, so that's why I'm specifically asking this. NVIDIA do have a fix for it (they say) scheduled for June in a driver update, but whether it will fix it in FSX, we don't know.

Thanks in advance!

For what it's worth since you ask for this feedback regarding the NVidia newest cards, I own a GTX 680 2 GB and run Word Not Allowed's tweak along with Ryan's recommendations on my new I7 3770 K OC at 4.4 GH a 10'000 RPM HDD and 8GB of RAM.

I am getting an excellent fluid stable image BUT I had to put the FSX limiter to unlimited to unleash the frame rates, they were multiplied by more than 2. Absolutely no stutter with the NGX, complex scenery, AS2012 heavy cloud coverage and all sliders to the right except for AI at 66%.

The other change I had to make in this cfg was to remove the Bufferpool settings. Jim from the hardware forum helped me to fix this as I had frequent corrupted images when switching from FS menus to cockpit. I really enjoy a very good flight sim experience now.