Sign in to follow this  
zmak

two SSD's what to do?

Hello

I have two 128g SSD.

One is running now but 90% full. The other is sitting in a box

Im looking for some advice on what my best option is.

should I

a. install the second SSD as drive D and download any further program mes to D however will this cause problems for FSX as most program's need to be in the root folder ©

b. re install all fsx to drive D

c. Raid 0 the drives but I don't know much about it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

ZORAN

I would go with Option B. Option A would prove difficult because, as you say, FSX addon's like (need?) to be on the same drive. As far as Option C, I have never tried to RAID SSD's, but I find performance with the OS on one SSD and FSX on another to be great.

A clean fsx re install to drive D is a big job, but I don't see any other option at this stage

ZORAN

can the C drive letter be changed? eg rename the current ssd drive D and move windows to the new SSD now called drive C

ZORAN

all of your registry pointers for fsx and addons would still be pointing to the C drive. I have a 64g SSD for the OS on C and it is about half full. I have to be careful when installing something to put it on my 2tb Caviar if it's not FSX related and the installation program allows me to. So you have room for your OS SSD plus some other non fsx programs. My FSX drive is a 240g SSD and it is about half full too but I have most of the stuff for North America I want (I'll get some more airports and sceneries and ORBX stuff when it comes out) so I think I'm ok there too. You might be a bit short with 128gb for an FSX drive unless you're careful and/or put some stuff (which defeats the purpose) on a regular harddisk. But yeah, having both the OS and FSX on SSD's rocks.

Can the major add ons be left on drive C eg REX, Vroute, A1 traffic , orbx , fs passenger

ZORAN

I will be in this situation in a couple days once my 128 Vertex 4 gets here. I'm thinking of doing a mount point folder path -- mounting the new drive into the existing fsx folder on C:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753321.aspx

I wonder if there is a significant performance impact of doing this? Also if you want to share your fsx directory will normal windows file sharing allow the volume mounted to be shared automatically?

scott s.

scott i Have the same SSD x2 . The v4 is fast and boot up feels like 10 secs.

thanks for the link I will now check it out, sounds promising

scott I just tried that but the new ssd when right clicked doesn't have that option however I am able to change the letter of the current SSD ©

ZORAN

I stand corrected I had to create a drive letter for the new SSD and think I have succeeded in changing paths , will do some testing

ZORAN

well done scott that works well by placing a folder into fsx c drive . It then tricks any add ons believing they are going into C drive when in fact they are sent to the newly created SSD E drive.

ZORAN

Why don't you simply move some scenery packages and then change their path in the scenery.cfg? Looks to me like you're making things more complicated than they need to be