Sign in to follow this  
ccarter06

Lateral deviation issues

I started noticing a problem with my MD-11's ability to hold the localiser on an ILS approach a few flights ago. Even in relatively calm winds (right crosswind of 4 kts), the plane was unable to hold the localiser better than one to one-and-a-half dots of deviation left of course. I clicked off the autopilot 3 miles out because inside that distance a correction to return to centerline would've required larger and larger bank angles. If I had let the plane autoland (it was available), I would've most likely touched down in the grass.

This problem has continued, and I've noticed enroute devations left of course as well. Usually the deviation is about 1nm left of course. If I input an offset parallel course into the FMS of right 1nm, the plane flies almost on the original intended course. If I remove the offset parallel course, the plane returns to it's track about 1nm left of course.

I have had other PMDG MD-11 users claim to have similar problems starting about a month ago. I looked through my flights (I fly with a VA that keeps position reports accurate and often enough to show the deviation enroute), and this problem started about a month ago for me as well.

I initially suspected the navigraph update was the error, but that doesn't REALLY explain why the plane is showing itself left of course on the map display, and fly well off centerline on ILS's.

Also, I am using PMDG's recommendations for weather addons to counter-act the sensitivity of the PMDG products.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Has anyone found a fix? I intend to submit a ticket to PMDG as well.

Also, If I attempt to use DIR in the FMS to go direct to the next fix, the plane banks left and re-establishes its course to the fix with the deviation .

Also, If I attempt to use DIR in the FMS to go direct to the next fix, the plane banks left and re-establishes its course to the fix with the deviation .

I had this issue once, and I corrected with the famous "Flight1 registry repair".

I literally landed on the grass. And this issue appeared after I install something (I do not remember now) in FSX.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Cristiano Mueller

This problem can also be caused by add on sceneries (bad afcad)

Disable all add on sceneries and reactivate them step by step unless you find the bad one.

Jan-Paul

I had one new afcad from the Avsim database (reputable creator, but VERY new file, newest ADE used), I removed that file and that didn't really seem to have any effect. I then ran the Flight1 Registry Repair tool, rebooted, and ran FSX. That tool seems to be the key to fixing the problem. It's possible that the Afcad file caused the problem, but the registry tool definitely fixed the problem. I may experiment with the file, and see if re-adding it to FSX causes the problem to reappear, but for now I'm happy to have my plane holding the line.

I submitted this problem as a ticket to PMDG as well. They were very prompt (5 hours, 45 minutes to get a response), and they suggested the repair tool as well.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

This just started happening to me as well on my last two flights. I had to take back control from the AP else I was landing in the grass to the left of the runway! KEWR and KIND were my last two destinations. I have no add-on scenery for EWR but I do for IND.

I'll give the registry fix a try... I have to say though, in the years I've owned the MD-11 this is the first time this has occurred.

Thanks!

Well that did the trick! Ran the Flight1 registry repair tool and I tracked the ILS (and autolanded) at EWR flawlessly... Thanks to all! :smile: