Sign in to follow this  
AusQB

Flying with mice

For the last few years I have grown accustomed to using a mouse and keyboard as my primary controls for flight simulators and I actually prefer them over a flight stick, mostly because I can't stand trying to fly smoothly with a rigid, resistant stick shaking back and forth.

So now, after a long period of reluctance, I downloaded Flight and initially enjoyed it, until I tried some aerobatics. I quickly noticed that no matter how hard I tried, I could barely bank more than 40 degrees or so. I obviously went and disabled the stability assist but that had no effect. I tried out a joystick to confirm that this is an issue exclusive to using a mouse and naturally I was able to fly the aircraft normally. However, as I mentioned earlier, I detest using the joystick.

Now it seems I'm left with the dilemma of using a mouse with limited but fluid control, or using a joystick with full but rigid control.

My question from all of this is; am I stuck with the above options or is there some way to unlock the kind of mouse control I know and love from Flight Simulator?

..or buy a joystick with adjustable centering tension :Idea:

It does sound like you've got the wrong joystick. A good one can offer control at least as "fluid" (your word, as I'm not sure entirely what you mean by it) as a mouse.

Sorry, can't tell you anything using the mouse.

I use the mouse because I don't have a joystick (yet). To do aerobatics though, I have to use the keyboard -- the mouse won't let you loop or roll. The keyboard is pretty clumsy, but I was able to get through things like the Stearman aerobatics challenge with it.

As far as banking only 40 degrees, that sounds weird. I'm able to bank 90 degrees using the mouse.

I really like using Flight with a gamepad myself. It is a nice balance between accessibility and control.

I really like using Flight with a gamepad myself. It is a nice balance between accessibility and control.

I would suggest trying that as well. I really do suspect FLIGHT was tested and calibrated with an XboX pads in mind.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

You can do the aerobatics with the keyboard well enough, but a good joystick and pedals is optimum!

Best regards.

Luis

Sounds like you need to adjust your mouse settings in windows control panel !!

Fred.

Sounds like you need to adjust your mouse settings in windows control panel !!

Fred.

I shouldn't have to considering it works fine in Flight Simulator. The mouse control dynamics in Flight are just simplified to the point where the only things I can do are turn, climb and descend.

Using the keyboard as a supplementary flight control (for control surfaces as opposed to avionics) is needlessly complex, and it doesn't even get the job done right. I can't possibly finish the Stearman aerobatics mission because as soon as I put on full left rudder the game tries to recover the aircraft for me, even with increased stability and propeller effects disabled.

Hey mouse users... Do the mouse controls support linear and non-linear response curve options, like a joystick axis?