Ok, so I need a little help here. I got this TEC route from laartc.org...

MZB293R V27 SXC V208 VTU VTU282R KWANG

Doesn't seem too bad, right? I plugged it in at www.simroutes.com to get a visual look and a Nav Log....

zjU6R.jpg

So, I take a stab at flying it (the skies are empty and I'm not on going on VATSIM until I've tried this out. I'm the only pilot in the world.)

First thing I realize is that I don't understand how to translate the NavLog to follow the IDs flight plan very well. I depart SAN and make a small right turn intercepting R-293. I'm thinking, because of the image above, that it will take me to SXC...kind of...(see the NavLog picture). It doesn't...I'm semi-duped. I'm looking at Catalina out my left window as I'm going by. <Pause button>. Let's have another look. Maybe I'm supposed to take MZB R-295 to intercept SXC R302. Will that work? Rewind. Nope...doesn't seem to. And where is V27? I look harder at the flight plan and find a sectional. Wait. The flight plan says to fly R-293 to V27. V27 is on the MZB R-304. Those two radials never cross (heh...that's why they're radials). Now, I'm realizing that something's up. I decide to try it the 'old fashioned way'. I open the window and fenestrate the navlog from 8000 feet and it falls to the cold ocean below. Hmmm, if I estimate this (since I can't take R-295 to get on V27, I would...

• Depart SAN
  • Turn north.
  • Intercept V27 (MZB R304) (what was R-293 about??)
  • Fly outbound on V27 until PACIF intersection.
  • Turn left at PACIF on V27 on the SXC R-084 and fly inbound to SXC
  • Fly outbound from SXC on R-295 (where's SCX R-295 on the navlog??? I want to claw it back from the waters of the Pacific to have a look but it's gone.) all the way to WEEZL intersection.
  • Turn right on V208 (VTU R-160) and fly to VTU
  • Then left on VTU R-282 to KWANG intersection.
  • Use any manner of approach to get on the ground at Santa Barbara and by a fake sandwich from the imaginery restaurant inside. (Hello? I want a saaaaandwich. Hello? Hello?)

I'm not sure if it's right or not. Who's right...me or the simroute?

The other thing that had me confused was on the simroute Navlog I couldn't figure out whether the course given on a line was the course I was supposed to fly to get to the fix on *that line* or to the fix on the *next line*. (When I saw near the bottom of the navlog that I was supposed to fly course 355 from VTU to get to VTU R-282 I told the FO the airplane is his and went back to find the bathroom hoping I can navigate there.)

I'm hoping someone with some patience and a sense of humor can help me out.

Sorry for the long post.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

BTW, here's the route I planned from the Sectional. I made it as readable as possible. The red line is straight line between the airports. The green line is the route (as I see it).

QYJtY.jpg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

So here's the flight...

Take off from SAN,

ATC will give you a vector to the north to intercept MZBs 293 radial which you will follow until about 110 DME from MZB where it intercepts V27.

Track V27 to SXC (actually V208 follows this same segment as well)

From SXC track V208 to WEEZL then VTU.

From VTU track the 282 radial for 26 DME to KWANG.

KWANG is a the IAF for the VOR approach, but more likely you would just be vectored to the airport.

Not sure about simroutes, since I wouldn't use it. I always do these myself on skyvector.

V27

WEEZL

KWANG

Noah Bryant

I see. So where I went wrong (and it seems a little obvious now) is that I needed to stay on MZB R-293 until it smacked into V27. The navlog was, as I suspected, useless. I went over on SkyVector and tried it out, pasting the original route. It initially did slightly worse, putting me on V27 *after* SXC and ignoring V208...but I like how you can fix it straightaway. Simroutes allows you to file directly to Vatsim and also allows you to save it in various outputs including PMDG format. Useful *if* it gets the route right but there's no way I could figure out how to adjust it except, perhaps, perhaps to plug in radials and DME and label it as SANN36 (the name of the route) in Notes. It would have been nice to get a navlog out of SkyVector just so I can figure out how to read them and use them...small sigh. Maybe that's a lost art too. Thanks for your help.

Gregg Seipp

No problem. I'm very old school, I program my own FMCs and plot my own routes. I just wish there was a website similar to sky vector for Europe, which is where I do most my flying now. I've never used a FS flight plan and wouldn't even know how to import one if I wanted to.

But I'm old school, I only used GPS when my flight instructor made me. When it came to VOR navigation, I pointed out that the plane didn't have a DME. He said, sure it does, and turned on the GPS and did direct to the VOR I was tracking to get a pretend DME. The irony was lost on him lol.

Noah Bryant

Yeah, I sort of feel like if you can't fly the airplane without an FMC/FMS you *probably* don't need to be flying it.

Gregg Seipp