Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

F4U Corsair is on Marketplace

F4U Corsair

ss1.jpg

Conquer the hoops courses in the F4U Corsair! With its large prop and inverted gull wings, the F4U was an iconic mainstay of Allied aviation during World War II. It was also featured in a late 1970's TV series based on Marine Corps Fighter Squadron 214. This version is the F4U-1D, which has a powerful 2100 hp, 18-cylinder radial engine. Its speed and high roll rates make it a perfect formation partner with other warbirds. No cockpit included.

https://microsoftfli.../marketplace/#6

Thank you for the heads up, Ramón. I'm still vacillating on whether or not to buy it and I look forward to performance reviews. As I have posted elsewhere here, Daddy flew the Corsair from carriers so this one has a relevance to me. I'm not yet finding it available for purchase but their are screenshots at the link you provided. Thanks again for your gold rush videos, which I heartily endorse for those interested in conquering those challenges.

No cockpit included.

Batteries not included... :pardon:

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Well, at least you can't say MS isn't consistent.

Do you guys think they will add cockpits to these planes at a later date? They would be so great with them...

Serious question to the masses.

In your opinion do you think MS will ever offer up a full package aircraft for FLIGHT, or will they simply continue with cockpit-less offerings and limited area scenery packages?

With few if any high-end FS add on developers (aka Flight1, PMDG, et al) looking to build planes for FLIGHT, and MS sticking to ( for now) cockpit-less, WWII props. Where do you see FLIGHT heading?

The scenery engine seems fantastic, but offering limited areas and at a cost seems to me to be a slow and extremely expensive way to create the FLIGHT earth.

I read where Alaska will most likely cost between $20 and $30, so using that as an example. Say the earth is eventually cut up into equal parts and cost around $20 to $30 USD.

I could realistically see the world costing many, many hundreds of dollars to buy.

And that's alos assuming that at some point MS will either build an airliner with global navigation capabilities, beyond a simple MSFS style GPS unit. Or will reach an agreement with someone like PMDG to come in a build an airliner.

I'm curious about your honest opinions here.

Personally I would love for MS to surprise us with FS11 aka FLIGHT+ that would get back to its true FS roots and rival FS9/FSX and P3D.

Heres to hoping FLIGHT will someday become just that!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

I'm certain that MS will offer some more aircraft with VCs at some point, although they will doubtless also continue releasing cockpitless aircraft too, since people are buying them. Thus they know that making them is worthwhile from a sales standpoint, and makes sense development-wise, since there is no point in them going into greater detail if people are going to buy them at the lesser level of fidelity they currently exhibit.

Personally I'm completely uninterested in Flight's cockpitless aircraft, and only bought the scenery and the aircraft with VCs, but more critically, ever since the main Flight PR guy let slip in the Avsim interview that Flight was going to continue in the same vein that it has to date, I've not regarded it as something I'm going to put a lot of time into and there will have to be something special about any future add-on aircraft for me to consider sending any more money Flight's way, and it will have to be sooner rather than later, because my interest in it is flagging. I regard my purchase of the Flight DLC with VCs, and lack of purchases for ones with no cockpits as being enough statistically to make my feelings known to MS where buying trends are concerned, since I daresay they have a spreadsheet and marketing person somewhere who is tracking that kind of data.

I do like WW2 warbirds; I've got the FSX JF A6M, the A2A P-51D Mustang, the A2A F4U Corsair, the A2A P-40, A2A B-17, A2A Spitfire, Alpha B-24 Liberator, MAAM DC-3, JF Mosquito, Plane Design Avro Lancaster, WarbirdSim P-51C etc, so it would be pointless in me buying lesser versions of them for Flight, but then again, so long as people are buying those ones for Flight, MS will probably keep dishing them out, and if that floats people's boats, then good luck to them, there is nothing wrong with a flight sim which does that simply because it is not my cup of tea.

But the add-on trends Flight displays are rapidly driving me away from it, and it will take a lot to pull me back. Sadly, that may end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy in a way, because if other people are buying cockpitless birds, then there will be little point in MS trying to please me with content when they can more easily please others with simpler stuff that does not require as much development effort. That's a shame really, because it was the desire of MS to get a piece of the payware add-on pie with Flight, and when you consider that I dropped fifty bucks on the A2A AccuSim P-51D yesterday, but have not bought a single warbird for Flight, I think they are shooting themselves up the arse with their strategy toward trying to get a piece of that pie from people who are prepared to flash the cash.

I am not averse to giving MS money if they offer what I want - I bought FSX twice, and Acceleration twice, and if they made a Corsair or Mustang or whatever which appealed to me, I'd buy that too.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Since MSF is a business, perhaps they are marketing these 'warbirds' toward a certain demographic, with disposable income, of a certain age, with the factor of nastalgia, and maybe cockpits just aren't deemed important.

I agree with the sentiment that these last batch of planes are in keeping with a theme, that of WW2 planes, in the interests of perhaps recreating Pearl Harbour.

I truly believe that the trend will end there.

We can all look forward to Alaska, new planes with cockpits, and with any luck, TrackIR support!

Seriously, I check for Alaska updates before I even have my morning coffee, I'm that hooked!!!

Since MSF is a business, perhaps they are marketing these 'warbirds' toward a certain demographic

Yes, that is absolutely the case, but the point is, if business is the motivation, then take a look at the Avsim forums: Presently there are 43 people viewing the PMDG forum, 31 viewing the FSX forum, 10 viewing the FS9 forum, 10 viewing the X-Plane forum, and 15 viewing the Flight forum, and this at the point where a new add-on is available for Flight and interest is currently elevated. When we consider that MS wanted a piece of that lucrative add-on action, and there are nearly as many people on the forum for the ten year-old version of FS, let alone the more recent FSX, and more and more looking to X-Plane for salvation, in a situation where the average price of an FS or X-Plane add-on is about three times that of one for Flight, then I personally think they've made a rather serious miscalculation as to where the pot of gold which they covet actually is.

MS will certainly make money with Flight, but they won't make as much as they could do if they tapped into the mother lode, and they could do that without any effort at all if they do an 'app store' and simply take a small cut off the efforts of more serious developers. As it stands, in not going that route, they've handed Austin Meyer a golden goose, and I bet he can't believe his luck.

Al

Alan Bradbury

We can all look forward to Alaska, new planes with cockpits, and with any luck, TrackIR support!

Seriously, I check for Alaska updates before I even have my morning coffee, I'm that hooked!!!

But what if it continues with alaska?

What if we continue to see cockpit-less planes, say a beaver, perhaps a float version. All cockpit-less once Alaska is released?

I know I'd love to see a nicely done beaver to fly around Alaska, with the visuals of flight...

But what if?

I should think they know that if Alaska has a cockpitless aircraft for it, then it will be all over for Flight.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Then many hanging on to the hope that Alaska will re-invigorate Flight for them will be gone tomorrow and unlikely to be back - myself included.

Would hate to see than happen. There is potential in this thing.

(oops.. Chock beat me by about 10 seconds...)