Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

F4U Corsair is on Marketplace

I bet Alaska comes with 1 or 2 "deluxe" planes, maybe another one deluxe dlc, then a few more monthly "basic" ones as they lead up to the next scenery expansion. Pretty much the same as it has been so far.

With all the hate mail they received over cockpit-less aircraft, it must have made SOME sort of impression.

• Alaska -- Great, looking forward to a new BIG area to play in, though cautiously optimistic. I would hope it includes 1-2 new aircraft.
  • Missions/etc -- I hope they work on expanding this, it's one of the better areas (though Hawaii missions have gotten repetitive).
  • Aircraft -- Fine, produce toy planes if you must... but they've GOT to come out with more VC aircraft if they want to survive.

Yes, that is absolutely the case, but the point is, if business is the motivation, then take a look at the Avsim forums: Presently there are 43 people viewing the PMDG forum, 31 viewing the FSX forum, 10 viewing the FS9 forum, 10 viewing the X-Plane forum, and 15 viewing the Flight forum, and this at the point where a new add-on is available for Flight and interest is currently elevated. When we consider that MS wanted a piece of that lucrative add-on action, and there are nearly as many people on the forum for the ten year-old version of FS, let alone the more recent FSX, and more and more looking to X-Plane for salvation, in a situation where the average price of an FS or X-Plane add-on is about three times that of one for Flight, then I personally think they've made a rather serious miscalculation as to where the pot of gold which they covet actually is.

MS will certainly make money with Flight, but they won't make as much as they could do if they tapped into the mother lode, and they could do that without any effort at all if they do an 'app store' and simply take a small cut off the efforts of more serious developers. As it stands, in not going that route, they've handed Austin Meyer a golden goose, and I bet he can't believe his luck.

Al

Come on, Al... I've read a lot of your posts and know you are an exceptionally intelligent man. Surely you can't use the Avsim community as representative of more than a very tiny, albeit vocal, fraction of the market they now court.

Avsim members are skewed toward the more complex simulators by their nature. MS is casting a far wider net than the attrited users of a "ten year old" franchise, as well as the newer, similar products.

What do y'all think the next scenery package will be, pacific northwest?

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Austrian Alps.

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Might also be the Caribbean.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I bet Alaska comes with 1 or 2 "deluxe" planes, maybe another one deluxe dlc, then a few more monthly "basic" ones as they lead up to the next scenery expansion. Pretty much the same as it has been so far.

If this is how they intend to develop Flight , with a couple of VC planes occasionally to keep us quiet, and the rest released as Basic versions, then I will lose interest completely. Which is a shame as this is the first flight sim I have tried and the first time I have paid for anything online ( I got the Steam Pack soon after I downloaded it ) . For me to do that means I must like something a LOT believe me. But I am not prepared to fork out for more planes like the Mustang, which came with the pack.

As far as the next scenery package is concerned, I just want to see Alaska first .

I sincerely hope that this is the last warfighter released. I have no interest in flying these planes. I would prefer a large cargo aircraft so I could ferry more than 4 people or 800 pounds of cargo at a time. If I want to fly warfighters there are plenty of games out there that offer those aircraft but not many that offer civilian aircraft and that's what I would like to see more of.

<snip>Surely you can't use the Avsim community as representative of more than a very tiny, albeit vocal, fraction of the market they now court.

Avsim members are skewed toward the more complex simulators by their nature. MS is casting a far wider net than the attrited users of a "ten year old" franchise, as well as the newer, similar products.

Rich, LIVE Marketplace seems to cater to all user types; check their Flight page and sort by “Best Selling all-time" Microsoft Flight

Apparently the overall market prefers the Deluxe Maule M-7 as its sales surpass the Zero, the P-40 and even the FREE P-40 Preview sales/downloads.

(Corsair not considered as it came out today.)

In any case, I am thankful this “No cockpit included” warbird saga is over. Alaska DLC should be next, just hope it delivers enough to keep everybody interested.

For the Designers out there: Flight seems to be built using modified and partially updated FSX assets. If that is the case, would it really be that hard for them to convert the legacy cockpit aircraft as well?

Done correctly, it would certainly be a big bone to toss at the unhappy dedicated sim community.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I suppose if I did download the Corsair it would have to be through Steam as I got Flight through that to get the Steam Pack. But I can`t see it listed.

I suppose if I did download the Corsair it would have to be through Steam as I got Flight through that to get the Steam Pack. But I can`t see it listed.

Steam usually is a bit late with Flight DLC.

BTW I noticed that on XBox.com the picture on the F4U page is actually the Zero... Odd. I don't care about this plane at ALL but you should think MS would care enough to at least post a picture of the actual plane... :wink:

On the other hand, the potential customers that are interested in more complexity are also the ones that tend to stick around for years and years (not lose interest and move onto the next new toy every couple of months), and also tend to be willing to pay top-dollar for what they want (rather than complain about $6 DLC being "crazy expensive").

MS can pick their market, but the old adage "be careful what you wish for" certainly applies.

What do y'all think the next scenery package will be, pacific northwest?

That's my bet... BC, Washington, Oregon, and just maybe Idaho (if they want to get further inland with it). This would have the advantage of being partially contiguous with Alaska.

Though... I did once hear some scuttlebutt about "Africa."

Come on, Al... I've read a lot of your posts and know you are an exceptionally intelligent man. Surely you can't use the Avsim community as representative of more than a very tiny, albeit vocal, fraction of the market they now court.

I'm not for one second suggesting that the Avsim forums represent the overriding majority of Flight users, but my post was in response to the broader question posed in a preceding post of whether Flight will become 'FS11', and where that question is concerned that is more where the Avsim demographic sits.

I was also addressing the potential for its longevity; I think most people know that the thrill of whizzing around in cockpitless warbirds amongst casual users, is not something which is likely to appeal in the long term when stuff like Janes recent lightweight combat sim (also with a chase view) will let you do that and drop bombs and shoot at stuff. It won't take too long for casual users for whom this has appeal, to realise that if the systems depth is not there, then there is little to choose between a Spitfire V and bf109F, and even less when they have no weaponry.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here