Sign in to follow this  
zmak

can PMDG 737 be on a separate drive?

I have 2 SSD's and have a lot of thoughts about configuration swimming in my head.

Can the PMDG be on a separate drive to FSX?

ZORAN

Hi I'm no expert but you can run FSX on a seperate drive but your aircraft have to go into the FSX directory. From what I believe, and I have done this myself, FSX should be put on another drive or partition. And set it up as another user.

thanks, so your saying install all of fsx and add ons to a separate drive? that wont help much as my primary SSD is full with mainly fsx and addons so transferring it all across to my second SSD (same size)just creates the same storage problem

ZORAN

Basically if you want to use two discrete SSD's or HDD's you should install Windows in one of those disks and FSX should be installed on the other disk. Add ons generally install into their own folder within the root FSX folder. Of course some files will go into folder such as SimObjects, etc. There is really no way to separate FSX from add ons.

Generally the only addons you can have installed on a separate directory from FSX, and hence potentially on a different hard-drive, are scenery/meshes. Also, I highly doubt you'd see any benefit from having the NGX installed onto a secondary HDD/SSD, however, photoscenery/mesh is a different story.

It might be possible (kinda) if you manage to RAID these two disks so that the system "thinks" they are really one disk.

I am not aware of any other way to make Windows point to a different physical disk from within folder structure of one disk.

With two SSDs I would suggest that you assign one of them (and obviously make it the boot drive) to the 64-bit O/S (and other applications), and then install fsx to the other (as in X:\fsx) and NOT THE DEFAULT DIRECTORY THAT FSX WANTS TO INSTALL TO! Many simming add-ons want to be within that fsx base folder too, so look at how much space is available.....

Remember that you don't defrag SSDs, so you can probably keep your paging file (and hibernation file if you seriously think you need one) on the O/S drive too.

You might think about trying to install other applications somewhere else, depending on how much space you have on your boot drive. (Whilst planning all this you will need to think hard about whether each of your SSDs has enough room for what you want to store there).

Good luck,

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

You can install the PMDG737 in another directory or in another drive, if you wish. Just make sure FSX can see it, by adding the path in the [MAIN] section of FSX.CFG:

[Main]

(...)

SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes

SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft

SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles

SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats

SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals

SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

SimObjectPaths.6=E:\My own airplanes\PMDG737NGX <---- this is an example

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

So what is the advantage of having the pmdg 737ngx on a seperate drive other than your fsx drive?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg