Hi community,

I am about to build a new system dedicated to FSX, and I need some advice as to whether what I have in mind will be any good. I am a little limited by budget (3 kids!) so I cannot really move too much in the hardware, but this is what I have in mind:

Corsair Carbide Gaming Case

Antec Truepower 750 watt PSU

Intel Core i5 3550 Ivy Bridge CPU

Asrock Z77 Pro 4 Motherboard

8Gb G-skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz RAM

1 x Silicon Power VELOX 120Gb SSD (O/S only)

1 x Silicon Power VELOX V60 240Gb SSD (For FSX)

1 x 500Gb Seagate Momentus XT

1 x Pioneer DVD Burner

1 x AFOX Geforce 550Ti with 3 Gb VRAM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

So, will I get more than 20fps out of this? And perhaps get rid of stutter? Might be able to go up to the 3570k Ivy Bridge.

Thanks all,

AJ.

Intel Core i5 3550 Ivy Bridge CPU

Get the 3570K.

+1 to getting the 3570K. Even if you only take it up to 4.3 or 4.4 ghz, you'll get a huge bump in performance in FSX (and many other games/software.) Just make sure you buy a decent cooling solution. You don't need anything uber fancy - I hear a lot of people get reasonable overclocks with just a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ which is $30.

If nothing else just get the 3570k, use the stock HSF for now and upgrade to proper cooling when you can and then overclock to your heart's content!

I agree re the 3570K and Hyper 212, it will be an extra $50-60 very well spent. Or, if you don't want to overclock, get an H77 motherboard and save some money. What's with your choice of the Momentus XT, any reason you need the extra speed over a conventional HDD? The 120GB OS drive will be more than enough to install any applications on. If you just want a data drive for things such as photos or videos you'll get a 2TB HDD for the same price.

I also reckon you should spend the extra $30 on a GTX 560 over the 550Ti.

Cheers,

Mike

Way too much PSU. Get a decent 550 and it wil be more than enough.