Sign in to follow this  
jandjfrench

Flight - What needs fixin'?

Hi,

The Big Suggestion List seems mainly devoted to adding things to Flight, which were intentionally or inadvertently omitted. In fact, if all suggestions were incorporated and Flight was opened up to outside developers and hobbyists we'd have FS11.

I've been considering what seem to be deficiencies within Flight as currently implemented. I haven't been able to come up with a very long list but here's what I have so far: intermittent bright flashes within the cockpits, inland water textures that seem more appropriate to the open seas, and jittery edges of cockpit shadows.

It seems likely that, until addressed, these will be carried forward to future enhancements. What do you think should be fixed?

Jim F.

You hit on the main defects I've noticed.

However, the cockpit seems overly dark. Almost like wearing sunglasses. I shouldn't have to crank up the panel lights in the daytime. It seems like the dimming effect for looking through the windscreen is being applied to the entire interior.

Esp the inland water. Seeing 4' waves in a fishing pond looks a teensy bit off haha. The water in the Alaska screens is the same.

Also, the bug where you land on a dirt strip (only time it's happened for me is on dirt) during a mission and it doesn't notice. You can park on top of the destination marker and it still tells you to land. You have to esc to menu and reload checkpoint, or take off and land till it catches on.

We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.We want cockpits.

Puffy little cotton ball clouds evenly spaced in a straight line.

I've actually seen formations of clouds like that in the Midwest. It was strange, like looking at a phalanx of sheep marching across the sky. (Dunno if that ever happens in Hawaii though.)

I've actually seen formations of clouds like that in the Midwest.

This phenomenon is well know to sailplane pilots as "cloud streets." I've seen them north of Dallas before. Unfortunately, that's not what's happening in Flight's Fair Weather theme.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Gotta be a better way of doing this and should be unacceptable even to the developers.

texture.jpg

Puffy little cotton ball clouds evenly spaced in a straight line.

For some reason, I don't get these at all. I've heard a lot of people complain about it though and wondered what they were talking about until I saw a picture of them in a picture someone posted!

I don't run on max settings as my computer isn't fast enough so maybe that's why!

Just a couple of things for me -

Grass textures are not very good at all when you get close to the ground. The trees are great. It`s just a shame they never did more with the grass. .

Sometimes, parked up on any airfield, I look at the aircraft and the wheels are partially sunk into the ground.

What I think really needs fixing though is the way it starts a mission or aerocache hunt flying in the air with the prop not turning. I think you should be starting these on the ground like you do with the jobs.

But all in all I think they have done a great job.

There's fixes in the Big Suggestion List, just let scruffy know and he'll add them. Frankly they are more likely to get fixed than anything else on the list!

I keep meaning to add the floating trees, but there's just so many areas, it almost needs a team approach. There are quite a few areas along the south coast of Molokai for instance.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. Gotta be a better way of doing this and should be unacceptable even to the developers.

texture.jpg

Yes, it's awful indeed, but this is how it has been for ages... Even the popular scenery addons for FSX have this. Not much you can do about it unless you go photoreal all over the place.

Yes, it's awful indeed, but this is how it has been for ages... Even the popular scenery addons for FSX have this. Not much you can do about it unless you go photoreal all over the place.

Its how its been for ages with FSX and now FLIGHT. Most other modern flying games would blush at stuff like that. Its dinosaur-tech. Its also a huge pet peeve of mine, and one of the most glaring scenery problems I thought would be addressed when I first heard about FLIGHT.

To be fair, a quick look at the main city on Oahu and some airports as well as some high profile historical locations do show modern flightsim scenery techniques, but that just makes it more glaringly obvious that they had the capability but simply did not bother with the rest of the islands.

Given that one of the justifications given for limited scenery areas was the ability to create much higher quality, this has been a general disappointment for me in flight. especially when so many others are taking the time to do better.

Take on Helicopters

tkohenvironmentsus8.jpg

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon.

screenshot266973.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yes, I also expected Hawaii to have none of that kind of scenery... I think this was my biggest disappointment with Flight.

texture.jpg

It's like that because it's FSX with lipstick in some places, you can't make something new with something old....same bugs different package.