Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Some comments on 3770K cooling w/ Noctua NH-D14

Some nice testimony:

none.gifFantastic cooler

Pros: 1) Absolutely amazing cooling performance. I mated this with some Tuniq TX-2 paste and an i7 3770k, which was OCed immediately to 4.5 GHz @ 1.2v. On a cold boot in a room at 70 degrees F, you're looking at 26 C on the CPU. After the processor warms up a bit, it rises to a grand total of... 30 C. A torture test in prime95 brings it up to 65 C, give or take. Gaming rarely pushes the processor past 35-38 degrees C on any individual core.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Temps on Ivy Bridge really aren't bad until you go beyond 1.2V. Bump her up to 1.3V (or higher) and 4.7GHz (or higher) and watch your temps skyrocket.

Nonetheless, congrats! You've got a fantastic new chip to play with. I'm quite happy with mine.

1.2V

How high of an OC is achievable with this Vcore?

How high of an OC is achievable with this Vcore?

From my reading it seems like most people achive 4.5-4.6ghz and I have seen one or two at 4.7 with 1.2v.

From my reading it seems like most people achive 4.5-4.6ghz and I have seen one or two at 4.7 with 1.2v.

After seeing some FSMark11 results, I have to say that I have greatly changed my perspective of the IB lineup.

I am eager to see some more tests before I make some final conclusions but, overall, I am pleased to see that the Ivy Bridge chips perform very well when paired with PCIe3, GTX680, and high performance memory.

Also, how are the temperatures on the IB chips when OC'ed to 4.5GHZ?

I have to say that I have greatly changed my perspective of the IB lineup.

So are you a smidge now?

After seeing some FSMark11 results, I have to say that I have greatly changed my perspective of the IB lineup.

I am eager to see some more tests before I make some final conclusions but, overall, I am pleased to see that the Ivy Bridge chips perform very well when paired with PCIe3, GTX680, and high performance memory.

I think it bodes well (ok, weller ;o)) for Haswell. If they decide to go to a better TIM perhaps there will be another quantum jump as was seen w/ SB chips.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I was in the low 60's @ 4.5 at load when I had my rig in the basement. I've since moved upstairs and now i'm in the low 80's :sad: . Ambient in here is in the region of 85-90F though, so you should be alright in a normal room.

So are you a smidge now?

Yes! :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

I was in the low 60's @ 4.5 at load when I had my rig in the basement. I've since moved upstairs and now i'm in the low 80's :sad: . Ambient in here is in the region of 85-90F though, so you should be alright in a normal room.

Put the rig in front of the refrigerator and keep the door open........... :hi: :Clown:

I just found this on Alibaba (not related) :wink:

http://www.alibaba.c...onditioner.html

Not joking, why not blow A/C cool air into the whole system, woohaa!

Been doing this for many years w/ no troubles. It keeps the room comfy in the hot part of the summer, plus has 3 fan speeds w/o A/C so you have excellent ventilation and don't need any other fans except for your CPU & hard drives. It's not too high tech, but the cardboard cowling allows the air to be directed thru 2 5" flex hoses, one at point blank range from the CPU's HSF, the other blows from about 2" out directly at the memory, main board & video card areas. This is a LOW FLOW, high volume solution, so better for static reduction, not too loud, and inexpensive to operate. The output air is right at 40F, which is a bit cool so I have the A/C set to cycle between A/C off + air flow on, and A/C on + air flow on using its digital temperature control setting.

NickN gave me a wag 'o the finger, however I maintain it's perfectly safe. Yes, did have a CPU die, but I had another good explanation for that.

Noel

That´s a mighty fine setup Noel, rustic, solid and ugly, but it works!

:Peace:

floppy disk!

floppy disk!

Hehe, yes how about that Dazz! You can see by me components I like to get as much out of a system as possible! That Lian Li case has held a few major upgrades. And you know what, I can tell you if you saw the excellent flight I had yesterday you would have wondered what was under the hood of that sucker! Just have to be mindful of the situation: for the big terminals in add on scenery, I keep it to the Super MD80 or QW757. When it comes to the NGX or PMDG 747 I have to be careful to keep in lighter areas, but in the end I have smooth & beautiful performance w/ very acceptable frames, and all of this on a 3-4y/o system. Unless I have a system meltdown, I'm holding out for Haswell next year. Maybe they'll improve the TIM on that one who knows ...

That´s a mighty fine setup Noel, rustic, solid and ugly, but it works!

:Peace:

Hehe, thanks, it is pug fugly! When I want to push the old dud up to 4.2Ghz, I turn on the A/C and have temps around 54C at load. I lost interest in stressing the system though after killing my first Penryn quad which I ran at voltages over 1.4 which I maintain killed it. It certainly wasn't the temps.

Noel