Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Question About ReX 2.0?

After you install the theme for REX 2.0 is it mandatory to run rex while running fsx?I mean i just start FSX from REX " I just want to fly " menu . Or can i just install the theme then X out of rex an start fsx normally i mean rex weather engine still comes up even when am not running REX.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

Yeah when you install a theme it stays in FSX (as you have overwritten texture etc) whether you are running REX or not. There is an option somewhere in REX to launch the weather engine every time you launch FSX (ie even when you launch without doing it through REX 'Just Fly') so presumably you want that unchecked. Does that make sense?

Yeah when you install a theme it stays in FSX (as you have overwritten texture etc) whether you are running REX or not. There is an option somewhere in REX to launch the weather engine every time you launch FSX (ie even when you launch without doing it through REX 'Just Fly') so presumably you want that unchecked. Does that make sense?

Yea it does makes sense now . Even more thanks a lot . Now i know why the weather keeps updating like every 2 minutes when approaching an airport . It totally bugs me because fsx kind of lags everytime it happen . I mean i don't need rex to be updating the weather like every 5 or 3 minutes when approaching . Do you understand what i mean right ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

Yes, I find it very annoying as it always picks the worst time to start reloading the weather like final approach. But if you want real world weather and haven't purchased a dedicated weather engine then you have to put up with it. I think REX Essentials addresses some of these issues from what I have read.

Anyhow you can reduce the effect by doing some (or all) of the following:

• As soon as you see the 'rex is updating the weather files' message then pause the sim and wait for the 'rex has finished loading the weather into fsx' message (I forget the exact wording on each but hopefully you know which ones I mean) before un-pausing.
  • In REX itself make the radius that it loads weather around you as large as possible (300NM from what I remember, but again I am at work so don't have the exact figure). It is adjusted by a slider on one of the REX option screens.
  • If you're not bothered about having it update the weather once you're in the sim, but you want it to load with real world weather when you launch FSX then I'd have the option I mentioned earlier ticked (launch REX weather engine with FSX) and then load/start your flight, pause and wait for REX to load the weather. Then switch to windowed mode and open the REX weather radar. You can exit the weather engine there by closing the weather radar, but then you'll still have the problem that when you get to the end of the radius you selected you will end up with no real world weather.

Yes, I find it very annoying as it always picks the worst time to start reloading the weather like final approach. But if you want real world weather and haven't purchased a dedicated weather engine then you have to put up with it. I think REX Essentials addresses some of these issues from what I have read.

Anyhow you can reduce the effect by doing some (or all) of the following:

• As soon as you see the 'rex is updating the weather files' message then pause the sim and wait for the 'rex has finished loading the weather into fsx' message (I forget the exact wording on each but hopefully you know which ones I mean) before un-pausing.
  • In REX itself make the radius that it loads weather around you as large as possible (300NM from what I remember, but again I am at work so don't have the exact figure). It is adjusted by a slider on one of the REX option screens.
  • If you're not bothered about having it update the weather once you're in the sim, but you want it to load with real world weather when you launch FSX then I'd have the option I mentioned earlier ticked (launch REX weather engine with FSX) and then load/start your flight, pause and wait for REX to load the weather. Then switch to windowed mode and open the REX weather radar. You can exit the weather engine there by closing the weather radar, but then you'll still have the problem that when you get to the end of the radius you selected you will end up with no real world weather.

Hey thanks very much . I have try step two it kind of make fsx more smooth which is good. But am going to try the rest of the steps this will help . Am planning of upgrading to Rex Essential but am wondering are these issues fix in rex essential? Because it won't make any sense in upgrading if you still get the same issues . For example the flashing sky issue an the weather updates like every minutes during approach or any big scenery area. I know in real life where there is lots of clouds there is lots of land . Reading from the past they said that is how Christopher Columbus manage to find land by looking up to the sky an looking where the most clouds are. Thats what i read. An it might be true . anyways thanks for the tips very helpful.

Mr Leny

Well that makes sense - clouds are formed where air is forced to rise because of land, hence why you tend to see a lot of clouds around mountainous areas.

If you go with the option of setting the radius to max then it should load the weather much less often to the point where it becomes bearable and I just pause it if I'm not up in the cruise.

Thanks am about to land my PMDG 747 after a long 6 hour flight from Heathrow to KJFK . An this is the part i get kind of nervous because on many long hour flights this is what happen rex tend to be updating the weather every minute an on my last approach my fsx just freeze an no error came up.

Mr Leny