Sign in to follow this  
drumsonly2002

32" TV 1080P vs 720P any benefit?

I was told, using a LCD 32" TV 720P is as good as 1080P. Was told the human eye cannot tell the difference and buying a unit running at 1080P at 32" is a waste of money. I think he is wrong. Isn't more better? Thank you for any replies.

I plugged into a 720p tv and it looked horrible. I'm using a 1080p 32" now and it looks much, much better. (in my opinion of course :)

Sometimes salesmen say what it takes to sell what's on the floor. One would think the higher the rez, better quality. But the counter statement was "human eye cannot detect the difference with TV's that are 32" and smaller". Really hard to trust salesman, but they say these things like it was an absolute truth. Especially when I mention buying 3 units.

I tried the lower resolution before I bought a 40 inch 1920 x 1080. The 720p was terrible in FSX.

Between the 720P and 1080P there is a difference of about 1 million pixels. The human eye will see the difference.

Pierre

Pierre

Resolution in and of itself is not enough information to be making such a statement. Viewing distance also needs to be accounted for. One may not be able to tell the difference at 10', but at 2' it's a whole different story.

Sitting about 2 feet 3 inches thus 720P looks like a no go. Appreciate the advise as I almost pulled the trigger on 3 x 32" 720P monitors. Stephen you will be happy and amazed I will be boxing my computer and getting it dun. Got a new SSD for it, arrived yesterday. Time to get that rig going. Had major stresses in the last 3 months, but things looking better!

The only problem I can see with a 720p tv is that, being a tv, you'll get overscan on the picture. I had the same problem with my 32" tv. Now you can of course alter the resolution in either nvidia control panel or catalyst but that reduces the resolution by a few pixels. I did just that and got a (FSX requires a minimum resolution of 1024 by 720 to run) error trying to load FSX. So I rely instead on 1080i, which is not ideal but a least you can resize the screen and have room to spare. (my current resolution on the 32" is 1898 by 1048 iirc)

Best wishes,

Jess B

What a load of bloomin codswallop! Actually TechguyMaxc was on the money... it's all down to viewing distance. Sure, you could look at a newspaper photograph at several feet and not see any dots, get closer and you'll easily see them. The same applies to monitors and TV's.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Between the 720P and 1080P there is a difference of about 1 million pixels. The human eye will see the difference for a normal viewing distance (20-30 inches) with a regular size monitor (20-27 inches). So it is resolution and viewing distance.

Pierre

Pierre

The only problem I can see with a 720p tv is that, being a tv, you'll get overscan on the picture.

that really depends on the model and make of the TV. I believe most newer TV sets can do 1:1 pixel mapping no problem. The feature sometime is called "Just Scan" that you can enable by digging into the on-screen menus. Once Just Scan is enabled, the TV will function just like a PC monitor, give you pixel to pixel accurate display from your video card. All the big TV screens (LG 50" plasma, Panasonic 50" 720p plasma and Sharp 46" LCD) at my home can do that.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

that really depends on the model and make of the TV. I believe most newer TV sets can do 1:1 pixel mapping no problem. The feature sometime is called "Just Scan" that you can enable by digging into the on-screen menus. Once Just Scan is enabled, the TV will function just like a PC monitor, give you pixel to pixel accurate display from your video card. All the big TV screens (LG 50" plasma, Panasonic 50" 720p plasma and Sharp 46" LCD) at my home can do that.

Really? I did not know that. Thanks for the infomation.

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll be very happy once you get the 1:1 pixel mapping setup correctly. It makes a HUGE difference in terms of image quality. Again, on most newer 1080p TVs, this is easy. When I first learned 1:1 pixel mapping that was like five or six years ago, and it's really a hit and miss. Some time with exactly the same computer and TV, ATI card just won't do 1:1 no matter what while Nvidia goes 1:1 without any hitch. It could be a big pain in the neck to get the 1:1 right.

Now these days things should be much easier and reliable.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11