Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

REX Essential vs Active Sky 2012

No problem Richard.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I have Active Sky Evolution (ASE), REX2.0, and now REX Essentials (REXE). Previously,I always used ASE for weather depictions and REX for textures, but REXE has really stepped up the bar for weather depiction in FSX, compared to ASE.

The one feature that I REALLY miss from ASE is the flight planning tool. It is fantastic about giving weather data for your flight plan. I would use the data to help calculate approximate head or tailwinds for a given flight, and calculate my fuel accordingly. I normally flight longer flights, and the level of weather data that I get from ASE to put into the FMC is much appreciated.

I'm going to permanently move to solely using REXE for depiction and textures for now, but I still have to load ASE for flight planning.

I bought REX Enhanced last night and played with it today. The textures are wonderful but the load time for weather is really looooong. AS2012 loads up in about 45 seconds while REXe takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Not sure what the hold up is.

I like most fly the NGX 90% of the time. Tried a flight with REXe and visually it was stunning but alot of stuttering when updating weather; severe wind shifts etc. I then loaded AS2012 and decided I'll stick with AS2012 for weather; I love DWC and flight planning capabilities.

Too bad REX and Activesky couldn't combine their efforts; it would be quite a weather experience.

Sean Green

I bought REX Enhanced last night and played with it today. The textures are wonderful but the load time for weather is really looooong. AS2012 loads up in about 45 seconds while REXe takes about 2 to 3 minutes. Not sure what the hold up is.

I like most fly the NGX 90% of the time. Tried a flight with REXe and visually it was stunning but alot of stuttering when updating weather; severe wind shifts etc. I then loaded AS2012 and decided I'll stick with AS2012 for weather; I love DWC and flight planning capabilities.

Too bad REX and Activesky couldn't combine their efforts; it would be quite a weather experience.

I noticed that as well. The time it takes for REXE to get the weather data is noticeably long. REX's texture have always been hard on my sytem, so I would not use the HD textures. What's missing from REXE, as far as I have seen, is the ability to select different texture resolutions for the clouds. I'll look again later.

I noticed that as well. The time it takes for REXE to get the weather data is noticeably long. REX's texture have always been hard on my sytem, so I would not use the HD textures. What's missing from REXE, as far as I have seen, is the ability to select different texture resolutions for the clouds. I'll look again later.

The user manual would answer most questions here. As with most sophisticated software, it takes time to learn what REX offers. There are 2 processes when you launch REX. Weather download and Interpolation of data. Weather download takes approx 45 - 60 seconds depending on your machine. The interpolation process varies. You do not have to wait for the interopolation process to finish to move forth.

Also, YES the OPTIONS manager is exactly there for that... OPTIONS. You can select what resolutions you desire... plus some! Again, reading the manual will afford you a true look what our software offers.

We have built in MANY options for performance concerns, but it seems most folks just dont care to read up and understand what the software is really about nowadays. And yes, this holds true for textures, the weather engine and depition.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

The user manual would answer most questions here. As with most sophisticated software, it takes time to learn what REX offers. There are 2 processes when you launch REX. Weather download and Interpolation of data. Weather download takes approx 45 - 60 seconds depending on your machine. The interpolation process varies. You do not have to wait for the interopolation process to finish to move forth.

Also, YES the OPTIONS manager is exactly there for that... OPTIONS. You can select what resolutions you desire... plus some! Again, reading the manual will afford you a true look what our software offers.

We have built in MANY options for performance concerns, but it seems most folks just dont care to read up and understand what the software is really about nowadays. And yes, this holds true for textures, the weather engine and depition.

You caught me. (^-^;; I haven't made the time to get to the manual. It's my next step to optimize the weather and performance.

Me too LOL..I didn't even realise you could import PLNs into REXE..

RTFM, people, RTFM :smile:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Congratulations with just great stuff Tim ;-)

André

When it comes to textures quality, Active Sky 2012 comes nowhere close to REX textures - REX is a king of texture kingdom. Some of Active Sky 2012 textures are simply broken (but you will probably not notice it, if you do not compare them to other textures). As a weather engine, I've had no experience with nex REX engine, the old was bad, and the Active Sky engine is very good (only waiting for patch with fixes...), so I also would gladly hear whats the comparison of those engines.

I'm most interested in REXE fog/haze/visibility generation - no problems with this? Does it finally do a good job with it? Or are there such bugs like with Active Sky, where you start with low visibility, great fog/haze, and when you fly to 4000/5000 all the fog/haze dissapears suddenly?

Interesting comparison.

I think I'll give ASE and REX-E a fair chance on couple of flight and see simply which I like better.

I'm most interested in REXE fog/haze/visibility generation - no problems with this? Does it finally do a good job with it? Or are there such bugs like with Active Sky, where you start with low visibility, great fog/haze, and when you fly to 4000/5000 all the fog/haze dissapears suddenly?

Rex essential doesn't seem to have this problem. The clouds also look a little more softer and less 'stormy' then the Active sky ones.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Thankfully, I couldn't care less about real world weather engines. I generally use the same weather for every single one of my short haul flights around the UK, and I rarely exceed 4000 feet in altitude. I am looking forward to seeing what Rex Essentials OD can do....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Without any weather addons different visibilities are not shown very well, in my opinion. Let's say, there is fog from 0 to 1000f and above 1000f feet everything is clear. You're flying down the ILS above 1000f and you can't see any fog, the whole ground is visible. Suddenly, when descending below 1000f, visibility = 0. What I mean is, you can't see the fog from above. In reality fog looks like stratus from above.

I hope you know what I mean, my English is not very good.

My question is, if this problem is solved with ASE or REX? Or is it impossible to display vertical visibilities in FSX?

Thanks!

Without any weather addons different visibilities are not shown very well, in my opinion. Let's say, there is fog from 0 to 1000f and above 1000f feet everything is clear. You're flying down the ILS above 1000f and you can't see any fog, the whole ground is visible. Suddenly, when descending below 1000f, visibility = 0. What I mean is, you can't see the fog from above. In reality fog looks like stratus from above.

I hope you know what I mean, my English is not very good.

My question is, if this problem is solved with ASE or REX? Or is it impossible to display vertical visibilities in FSX?

Thanks!

Last night I looked down and saw a thick overcast over Houston coming into IAH. Like a solid layer of white with soft edges in the distance. This was flying by the airport to loop back around for 33L. Once I got back around and descended into this overcast visibility went to near 0 (stupid ATC had me landing on a visual approach for some reason, that was a hairy landing).

But the flaw I did see is this overcast disappeared for some reason for about 30 seconds before reappearing while I was passing over it. I think this was REXE reinjecting weather. I'm gonna have to experiment and figure out how to stop it from clearing everything out while it injects every 15 minutes.

REXE does this new thing where it uses stratus clouds to simulate fog layers so you can see them before you get into them. I think AS2012 claims to do this as well. Which is better? I don't know.

It's still a little wonky though. The transition to 0 vis is still too sudden.

found this in youtube:

[media=]

[/media]

The problem with such a video is not knowing what settings the guy was using in each.

REXE appears in that video to be more barren of clouds. That's not the case in my experience.