Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

REX Essential vs Active Sky 2012

So has anyone used REXE textures with the AS2012 weather engine? would you say its the best combo or should one use REXE with REXE weather engine

Hi, I'm fairly new to the weather engine and textures provided by Rex and AS2012. I am trying to set FSX up so that I have the Textures from Rex, as I believe they are the best, but the weather engine from AS2012, which seems better. How do I configure this within FSX? How do I know where FSX is getting its textures from and which app is providing the weather engine?

Thanks

Peter

i find the best setup for me is to use the default REXE textures and AS2012 for weather weather.

install one app first and make sure to do the initial backup of the default FSX textures

then install the second app and also do the initial backup of the default FSX textures (the order doesn't really matter)

then open up REXE and install the default theme (or roll your own)

close REXE and run AS2012 while FSX is open and it will inject weather

you do not have to do anything in FSX

I have owned several versions of Active Sky, and used the weather engine with REX textures, right up to the release of REX Essentials.

Did not buy into ASE 2012 so I can't comment for or against it. However, I can say from a lot of experience that REX Essentials is essential! Just%20Kidding.gif

Please pardon the pun.

Kind regards,

I'm liking the weather that comes out of Essentials, but the incredibly slow startup routine is kind of a show alterer/stopper for me. You just have to plan ahead is the main work around I guess. I tried putting Essentials in my Startup folder, however it become unresponsive if it is launched during startup. Perhaps I needed to let it run longer before giving up on that workaround.

Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

No worries Noel, we are testing the service pack for Essential and have taken down the weather download/interpolation (startup) time about 85%.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

No worries Noel, we are testing the service pack for Essential and have taken down the weather download/interpolation (startup) time about 85%.

Hey, that's good news, thanks for the update ;o)

I also may be doing something wrong on startup, or may not have the weather engine configured properly. I think I noticed the weather map displaying puts the aircraft where it happens to be, based on the default scenario. Problem is, I move all over for various flights, so I'm rarely at the default scenario location. Do I need to (re) load weather when I start my flight from a flight plan chosen? If I understand this correctly it would be best for the weather not to load (inject) until after I've actually started the flight in its new location. What do you say?

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

That's music to my ears, great news!

I also may be doing something wrong on startup?

OK, maybe just set the delay to start weather in 2-3 minutes or what have you. That sounds like a possible solution.

Noel

but the incredibly slow startup routine is kind of a show alterer/stopper for me.

I had the same problem.I have a "workaround" till they release an update. (read about this trick on the rexess forums)

Try this.

go to the config manager/weather engine and:

a)untick "enable data overwrite"

b)untick "enable interpolation of weather stations"

c) tick "enable archive weather data purge at closing

done.

Hope it helps

When will REXE update come out for Simmarket users?

Thanks,

Dirk.

as far as i know when sp1 is finished i believe check in the rexe forum you probably get a better answer from tim

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Still waiting on Essentials for Overdrive......

Anywhoo I use some of REXOD's textures but after buying AS2012 not sure I can go back. The historical weather is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me in flight simming since I usually fly later ant night and having the ability to actually use the real weather for when i want to fly? Simply fantastic. Also the direct weather control that AS2012 uses is great no more annoying abrupt wind shifts and having constant barometer and wind speeds near your destination is great.

Once REX can replicate those features I will make the switch perhaps.

Can I haz? :Drooling:

Noel the timer is set to one minute now within the new service pack.

I also may be doing something wrong on startup, or may not have the weather engine configured properly. I think I noticed the weather map displaying puts the aircraft where it happens to be, based on the default scenario. Problem is, I move all over for various flights, so I'm rarely at the default scenario location. Do I need to (re) load weather when I start my flight from a flight plan chosen? If I understand this correctly it would be best for the weather not to load (inject) until after I've actually started the flight in its new location. What do you say?

The map reads your location when the weather engine kicks in. If you are moving around (slewing, starting another flight session), then I would indeed to a manual refresh, but if not it shouldn't matter, on the map refresh it will pinpoint your location and update accordingly.

When will REXE update come out for Simmarket users?

Thanks,

Dirk.

Dirk, the service pack for REX Essential is now built into REX Essential OverDrive. Once this has cleared testing we will be releasing. Testing will dictate this, so I cannot give a date.

The historical weather is honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me in flight simming since I usually fly later ant night and having the ability to actually use the real weather for when i want to fly?

This feature is now in REX Essential... in beta testing :biggrin:

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Also the direct weather control that AS2012 uses is great no more annoying abrupt wind shifts and having constant barometer and wind speeds near your destination is great.

Once REX can replicate those features I will make the switch perhaps.

Haven't noticed abrupt wind shifts using Essentials so far ;o)

Noel