Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So... tell me, how does the F4U feel?

I'm being serious here, not really meant to be used for criticizing the release of yet another cockpitless airplane!

I mean, does the FM feel good? Is there a noticeable torque on takeoff? How about dives/top dive speed?

Service Ceiling (it lists as being 41.500ft)?

Does it have folding wings?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I haven't got it, but im guessing it gives an authentic impression of flying a real one from 100ft behind :-)

I finally broke down and decided to get one of the warbirds. I bought the Corsair this morning.

• SPEED: The speed is totally baffling. Wikipedia says the F4U-1D will do 369 kts. Microsoft says the max speed is 507. But the most I've been able to achieve in level flight is 275.

• CEILING: I got to 41,000 feet before boredom got the best of me, but I doubt it'll do much more. It was down to about 107 kts trying to maintain altitude.

Q: Anybody with the P-51 -- what are the advertised vs actual game speeds? The Corsair should only be slightly slower.

I fly with a mouse, so I really can't give much feedback on the "feel" of the aircraft. But the trim feels a little strange, maybe just because it's much faster than the RV-6.

Well, at 15700' my p51 gets as fast as 226knots.... The higher I coud fly was 39800' without stalling ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Well...... 369KTS is about 420MPH

275MPH is about 238KTS..........

500KPH would be 310MPH

Not sure what to make of those numbers. I vaguely remember somebody mentioning some issue in flight with consistency as far as speed indicators between knots/miles etc

EDIT: Here is some info from the Sikorsky Archives: http://www.sikorskya...es.com/f4u.html

Weight: empty: 4100 kg / 9040 lbs; with full load: 6400 kg / 14100 lbs

Engine: Pratt&Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp, 18 cylinders

Power: 2200 hp

Armament: 6x 12.7 mm (.50cal) machine guns in the wings

Performance: Max speed: 635 km/h / 395 mph / 343 knots

Ceiling: 11280 m / 37000 ft

I wonder if the wings fold in FLIGHT?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Does the HUD give IAS, TAS, or what? Has anyone compared the HUD airspeed to instrument IAS in planes with cockpits?

Does the HUD give IAS, TAS, or what? Has anyone compared the HUD airspeed to instrument IAS in planes with cockpits?

IAS, at least by comparison to the gauges in the RV and Maule...

Main Simulation Rig:

IAS, at least by comparison to the gaugues in the RV and Maule...

That could be the source of the discrepancy, then, if MS is stating TAS numbers.

EDIT: Actually, a quick & rough calculation brings the HUD IAS in-line with the Wikipedia numbers, so Wikipedia is quoting TAS. I'm not sure what kind of reference MS is using.

Does anyone have VNE for an F4U handy?

I finally broke down and decided to get one of the warbirds. I bought the Corsair this morning.

• SPEED: The speed is totally baffling. Wikipedia says the F4U-1D will do 369 kts. Microsoft says the max speed is 507. But the most I've been able to achieve in level flight is 275.

Actually, 276 knots IAS, 369 knots TAS, and 507 MPH TAS all appear to be in the ballpark of about the same speed to me. 500+ looks a little high, but still...

Is MS actually saying knots?

Actually, 276 knots IAS, 369 knots TAS, and 507 MPH TAS all appear to be in the ballpark of about the same speed to me. 500+ looks a little high, but still...

Max speed is 343kts = 395mph (rounded up)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just run a timed course of a known distance and do the math! Then report back. Mahalo.

And in-game VOR with DME could be used to assist with this.

And in-game VOR with DME could be used to assist with this.

Frank, you so funny! :LMAO:

Max speed is 343kts = 395mph (rounded up)

Is that 343kts from MS, or from a different reference.

• CEILING: I got to 41,000 feet before boredom got the best of me, but I doubt it'll do much more. It was down to about 107 kts trying to maintain altitude.

Q: Anybody with the P-51 -- what are the advertised vs actual game speeds? The Corsair should only be slightly slower.

I fly with a mouse, so I really can't give much feedback on the "feel" of the aircraft. But the trim feels a little strange, maybe just because it's much faster than the RV-6.

You need to state what altitude you were at when flying at those speeds.

Most aircraft top speeds are going to be quoted at the altitude where they have max performance. This is not always down low, and definitely not the case with the Corsair.

For example 275 knots IAS is very roughly 385 knots TAS at 20k feet. I think the corsair has best performance at a slightly higher altitude than that.

Also always check the units. 500 knots is extremely fast and not correct.

I see a published top speed of 446 mph for an F4U-4, which equates to 336 knots.

Sounds like yours is outperforming or spot on assuming you were at around 20k feet when you saw that speed. As you climb higher, the IAS will probably slow down, but the TAS will remain high.

Edit: I came close on recalling the stats. It peaks at around 23k feet.

Frank, you so funny! :LMAO:

Is that 343kts from MS, or from a different reference.

http://www.sikorskyarchives.com/f4u.html

Devons rig