Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

So... tell me, how does the F4U feel?

Dude, give it up. The numbers they claim vs the actual in-game speeds don't match up regardless of all the fiddling.

Dude, give it up. The numbers they claim vs the actual in-game speeds don't match up regardless of all the fiddling.

What fiddling? They match almost perfectly!

I suspect you simply don't care to understand the difference between IAS and TAS.

Delafina has already acknowledged exactly what I said... they gave "maximum speed" as VNE in MPH but called it knots by mistake. One tiny, common mistake that you are blowing up over.

Doesn't care to be more informed I guess... Sorry that we all tried to help. :Hypnotized:

You're looking at indicated airspeed, which is lower than ground speed............the higher you get. Less molecules of air, are entering the pitot tube. The wing also sees less molecules, which is why indicated airspeed is the numbers to fly by. Yet the plane is covering much more miles across the ground than what's indicated. Example, I always use indicated to fly by, and my GPS ground speed for what the plane is actually doing........and taking wind into account.

Note: GPS ground speed is 172 knots. Indicated airspeed is 145 knots (outer scale) . Altitude is 9500'. Actual ground speed will vary with winds.

Plane is an RV6A

so how does it feel?

Ok, back on topic:

• It climbs like a bat out'a hell. :smile:

• It's fast compared to the cockpit'ed planes, topping out at around 275kts at 10,000.

• Being that fast, it "feels" sluggish, but mainly because it won't turn on a dime when going twice the speed of an RV-6.

• It rolls much faster than the Zero, as the guy chasing me reported.

• It has a few quirks at lower speeds. Even well above stall speed, once in a while it'll suddenly start to roll, but only for a moment. A couple other players noted the same thing -- one said it was very difficult to recover from a stall compared to other aircraft.

• High-speed dives are more hazardous than with the other warbirds. The elevator becomes nearly useless in a high-speed dive; I dove from 20,000 feet and started to pull up at 10,000, and couldn't pull out before hitting the water (although dropping flaps will solve the problem).

The (real) Corsair experienced shock stall in a high-speed dive:

The XF4U-1 also became the first Navy fighter to encounter shock stall. This insidious problem affected the first generation of U.S. fighters to achieve high mach numbers in a dive and was due to their lack of laminar flow wings. In other words, the F4U, P-38 and P-47 all had wings that were thick in cross section, which provided high lift, but caused the early formation of shock waves as the air flow over them reached supersonic speeds in high altitude, high speed dives. These standing shock waves degraded the lift normally provided by the wings, resulting in an increasingly steeper and faster dive from which the pilot could not pull out until the plane reached the thicker air of lower altitudes, where drag increased enough to slow the plumeting aircraft and gradually return control to the pilot. Such uncontrolled dives were terrifying and could be fatal if they happened over mountainous terrain where the pilot might run out of altitude before enough speed bled away to permit recovery.

http://www.chuckhawk...corsair_F4U.htm

Oh, and as far as the "no cockpit" thing goes, the default "cockpit" position of <F9> actually positions you a couple of feet in front of the propeller. I'm glad I got one of the cockpit-less birds just to see for myself, but I won't buy a second cockpit-less plane.

Hey everyone, new here but love the fact there is an intelligent discussion area for Flight. New to flight sims it seems all i could find before was bashing of this game.

This is refreshing.

I actually love the game so far and am slowly getting all the items for purchase now. And for those who care this actually got me to go out and purchase FSX with Acceleration so it can possbly benefit the FSX community as well (I say possibly because I am a horrible at flying so far lol). Being a rookie pilot I am looking forward to the Corsair because I was a HUGE Black Sheep Squadron fan when it was on TV and looking forward to flying in formation with a few of them. Great forums and wealth of information.

Great forums and wealth of information

Indeed they are , and welcome!

Lot of folks here having a lot of fun with Flight.

Be sure and check out the tuturials section for Flight, some great tips in there.

Sounds like they did a really good job at dialing in the FM. Im impressed! Just not impressed enough to buy an aircraft without a cockpit. The F4U was very hazzardus to fly and was called he "ensin eliminator" for a reason. They were NOT cleared for carrier duty till late in the war due to its lack of low speed handling, and the early models tend to drop one wing in a stall really badly. This was helped by adding a wedge to the leading edge of one wing, but was not fixed. There is a reason "Black Sheep" were stationed on an island, and not a carrier ;)

Here is a photo showing the "wedge" they put on the leading edge of the wing in later models to help with the snap stall.

f4u-5n_10_of_14.jpg

Hey everyone, new here but love the fact there is an intelligent discussion area for Flight. New to flight sims it seems all i could find before was bashing of this game.

This is refreshing.

I actually love the game so far and am slowly getting all the items for purchase now. And for those who care this actually got me to go out and purchase FSX with Acceleration so it can possbly benefit the FSX community as well (I say possibly because I am a horrible at flying so far lol). Being a rookie pilot I am looking forward to the Corsair because I was a HUGE Black Sheep Squadron fan when it was on TV and looking forward to flying in formation with a few of them. Great forums and wealth of information.

First, welcome! Second, run away or your wallette will be empty quickly!!! Hehehehe. I kid, but simming can get expensive. Flight is a great way to be introduced into simming as flying can be a very complex thing. Thats why I love Flight as it can bridge that gap between "I want to fly" and "OMG ##### are all these buttons and switches!" and bring new people in. Once you get up to speed, if you really like the F4U in Flight, you may want a more detailed and complex F4U, you can look into the FSX F4U at A2A. http://www.a2asimula...com/AF_F4U.html I can personally vouch for the artwork ;) Its also got a cockpit and a lot of custom livery's and many more to download from users. Like I said, this can get expensive! Hahahaha.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

It is going to take some beating to even come close to the a2a model !!

That is how a good and complete aircraft addon look like !!

and it has one of these also !!

13.jpg

I wonder what some of the converts would make of the price for that. People who have been around sims a while wouldn't blink. I agree that this is what should be aimed for though.

I wonder what some of the converts would make of the price for that. People who have been around sims a while wouldn't blink. I agree that this is what should be aimed for though.

As long as they provide a lower resolution version/less processor intensive version for those of us that don't own supercomputers! I can just feel my computer slowing to a crawl! Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a newer one or a faster graphics card... and it's especially hard to justify given that my computer is more than fast enough for everything else I use it for!

OK got me the Corsair woo hoo. now gotta change my nick to pappy... :Peace: