Sign in to follow this  
Peter James

Laptops can be great for FSX - don't let naysayers stop you

There was a thread somewhere recently where someone wanted laptop advice from simmers. And, as usual most people jump all over them for even thinking of such. Most feel you can not run FS well on any laptop. FARTHER from the truth. My aging slightly Sager NP9280 was once the world's most powerful gaming laptop with a full desktop i7 inside. It rocks. And, still does...running FSX greatly as well as PMDG NGX. you just must tweak FSX a bit, as you would on any machine, desktop or not.

Anyone wanting a great gaming laptop, GET a SAGER (sagernotebook.com) or order from www.xoticpc.com where I got mine 3 years ago. don't let the naysayers get you..... I fly a real jet that has me in hotels all the time, and allows me to have my hobby... laptop only. It works!

Sure, spending $2500 on a giant desktop now with all the latest hardware will be best, but some don't have that option... and for a budget you can get a used gaming laptop now for way less (around $1000) that will run FSX greatly.

Anyone need help ...feel free to let me know... I have been using laptops as my exclusive flying rigs for 6+ years now...

Peter

I have an oldish Hewlett Packard Pavilion laptop - it has no dedicated graphics card, 2 gigs of RAM and a dual core processor, and FSX runs really well on it and always has. I cart it around when I have to work away from home and stay in hotels, and it lets me have a bash on FSX when doing that, and of course watch movies and surf the net. It cost me 450 quid I think, difficult to recall the exact price since it is about five years old.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

My laptop proved to be reliable for FSX use. I shifted it to XP 10 only since I decided to buy a high end desktop, which significantly improved my FSX performance. I still have my copy of FSX on it, and still use it when I travel.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

you can not run FS well on any laptop. FARTHER from the truth.

I agree!! FSX runs very well on most laptops. I picked up a cheap Saitek joystick that has a handle that unscrews from the base (base also folds up) so it is compact.

Agree that FSX can run well on laptops, however they have small fans and overheating can become an issue. Make sure you have good airflow around your laptop when you use hardware intensive programs like FSX.

Couldn't agree more. I have an Asus G73 17" 1080p that I used for simming and design when I was on the road. One of the best designs I ever came across for air cooling. I'm having Asus do a thorough cleaning of it as we speak. When I get it back gonna put it up for sale as I don't travel like I used to.

Clutch

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Agree that FSX can run well on laptops, however they have small fans and overheating can become an issue. Make sure you have good airflow around your laptop when you use hardware intensive programs like FSX.

Great point! I bought a cheap metal stand at Walmart, and it allows me to elevate the laptop to get full ventilation. I also blast the air out of the fans occasionally with a blower.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Couldn't agree more. I have an Asus G73 17" 1080p that I used for simming and design when I was on the road. One of the best designs I ever came across for air cooling. I'm having Asus do a thorough cleaning of it as we speak. When I get it back gonna put it up for sale as I don't travel like I used to.

Clutch

Yep, agree!

It rocks with an i7 920XM CPU, and even the AMD 5870 can handle FSX with no problems.

Asus-G73JH-RBBX05-Review-6.jpg

f2213m.jpg

I use the Coolermaster Notepal U3 for extra cooling:

http://www.coolermaster.com/news.php?id=6207&action=ViewNews&newsletter=2

I agree, got an Asus N55SF and it runs FSX nicely, with REX E, UTX, GE2, PMDG NGX, RC4 etc. Very happy with it.

I agree!! FSX runs very well on most laptops. I picked up a cheap Saitek joystick that has a handle that unscrews from the base (base also folds up) so it is compact.

What joystick is this dighost, I could really do with a travel joystick

WAT1036.png

More than likely the Saitek Cyborg X

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion