Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Mission Impossible?

I experienced a curious issue recently, and I'm wondering if others have seen the same.

I was trying to do a clandestine cargo mission, but couldn't get the plane to lift of from the starting field. No matter how I trimmed it, or how little fuel I put in, or even if I started as far back as possible from the runway to get a bit of run up, I would only get a few feet off the ground before hitting the treeline.

I don't know how many times I tried to do it, with the same result over and over.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

May be a stupid question, but.... Was your parking brake set? When I've had trouble accelerating, that was the culprit, and I don't know how it became set.

sigPicF8.jpg

What plane are you using, a third party? Or do this imply to all aircraft, even defaults?

Was the prop-control full forward?

If you haven't done it, go through the full checklists. That should ensure it's not a switchology problem.

What plane are you using, a third party? Or do this imply to all aircraft, even defaults?

Ummm... What are you talking about?

Third party planes? All cargo jobs use the same aircraft.

Alright, my apologies, see now that this is about MS Flight, which I happily have no knowledge about.

Were you really overweight? Your plane, not yourself :)

Run thru the checklist for short field takeoff, if you are really overweight you need a really long runway.

Edit: I believe it has been stated by the devs that some of the cargo missions are not possible with the Maule (which shows they have bigger planes in store maybe?).

I had also these situations sometimes...

I start then with flaps -7 and short before the trees I switch to 24° and pull back rather hard.

Before I start, I hold the brakes until the engine goes as fast as it can...

It works very often... ;-)

Cheers, Stephan

i7 4790K @4,6Ghz (102x45), ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 16GB Corsair Venegance 1866, Corsair WC H100i, Gigabyte GTX 780 OC, 3x SSD (Win7, FSX, P3D), Dell UHD 27'", Saitek Homecockpit

Don't remember exactly which field, one of the little ones at the north of the big island. Even with less than 10% fuel it kept saying I was heavy.

Alright, my apologies, see now that this is about MS Flight, which I happily have no knowledge about.

Oh, well this is the Flight forum...

Sorry for the stupid question - but do you remember the altitude of the airfield? I just remember that trying to convince the maule to take off when loaded with 3 passengers from Bradshaw (about 6'000 ft) was really hard when following the checklist (rich mixture!). It was way easier after leaning the engine ... :)

I had also these situations sometimes...

I start then with flaps -7 and short before the trees I switch to 24° and pull back rather hard.

Before I start, I hold the brakes until the engine goes as fast as it can...

It works very often... ;-)

Set your flaps to 24° prior to starting your takeoff roll and leave them there until you are in a stable climb.

Even with less than 10% fuel it kept saying I was heavy.

Some of the cargo masters will complain about the weight as soon as you reach the calculated maximum. However, the maximum takeoff weight of aircraft is not always the same thing as the maximum weight at which you can takeoff with your aircraft.

I just wanted to try it at the same field, with one of the higher weight cargoes with little to no headwind just to see if it could be done.