Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Qantas and the Boeing 777

Journalism and aviation just don't go together. The amount of incorrect articles I have read over the years, aswell as many biased (Especially against Qantas lately) is rediculous. I have even seen an article referring to Qantas' safety record when the article was about a maggot in a meal from a base which isn't even catered by Q-Catering (Qantas' catering company).

The smartest decision of any newspaper/online news editorial would be to hire Simon from avherald for their Aviation/Airline Journalist. While some people seem to have it in for him aswell (going by the comments posted on the numerous avherald articles), his reports merely stick to the point and don't scare people away from an airline, something Geoffrey Thomas has great pleasure in doing so with Qantas.

Ah, the media. When it comes to anything aviation related, I wouldn't believe a word the media says.

In my personal conversation with Geoff, he has gone to great lengths to defend QANTAS's safety record. It is the unions (mainly the Engineer's union of QANTAS) that is feeding the media every little bit of rubbish that is hurting QANTAS. All major airlines suffer windscreen cracks and engine problems. It is only that the unions are shooting themselves (well their own members) in the foot by scaring off the public.

If you want my opinion, the media are being spoonfed by the unions. If the unions just shut up then there wouldn't be this negative publicity.

And the A380 engine explosion was not the fault of QANTAS. So, does anyone oppose me on this then?

Kirk,

I owe you an apology, i misquoted you. I implied the post made by as355f was written by you.

I agree 100% with what you said except for the Ansett collapse.

Any Ansett employee who tells you they didnt see it coming has been in denial.

It was the only airline that had a requirement to have a minumum of 9 ramp people per 737 for turn arounds, minimum of 12 for a 727. Back in 1990 i knew several guys who were paid nearly $60,000 as baggage handlers.

They had a roster, and 2 of them would sleep while the rest worked the turnaround, there were so many people it was ludicrous.

Ansett was also the only airline in the world were the union demanded job security for the flight engineer an Ansett had to ask boeing to produce the 767 with a flight engineer's console.

I beat Geoffrey Thomas by 10 years. My prediction was, if AWAS, the Ansett leisure group and TNT are separated from the airline, Ansett would collapse within 5 or 6 years. And i was spot on.

The unions continue to hurt the hand that feeds their workers. Yes qantas has made some terrible decisions ( did you ever wonder why every monthly board meeting under Dixon was held overseas?? Yes the entire board was flown to an overseas destination so as to avoid questioning by shareholders!)

What is done is done, they have inherited a fleet that is not cheaper to run than the direct competition, and a workforce who wants more money, more benefits than their direct counterparts but they also want job security.

Go figure.

When Ansett was sending their 767's to NZCH for maintenance, 6 Engineers from Ansett traveled with the plane to CHC, and then spend the next 2 weeks on the golf course.

The unions bled Ansett dry, and then cried like babies blaming Air NZ for the collapse.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.