Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

What's wrong with Tooltips?

I did the online FSX.cfg optimization and it disabled Tooltips to "prevent graphics corruption"

Does anyone know the background on this? Do they really cause issues?

Also do Tooltips slow down performance at all?

According to NickN @ simforums, it is buggy with Nvidia chipset graphic cards. That's all I can tell you.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Ok so I have an ATI, maybe I should turn them back on :)

Nothing to lose, things start going pear shape, just turn it off. Least you will know what it was, not like some other things that FSX can throw at you.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

i leave them on for they are very useful for seeing small values when adjusting some controls in the VC.

the only times i have had problems with them is the default baron, for some reason it causes flickering to leave it enabled on that plane, but that's the only one i remember seeing it with.

as zk-suh said, doesn't hurt to enable it and see for yourself!

cheers,

-andy crosby

Andy, Think the OP was referring to "Flying Tips" ( realism settings) which is buggy, Cockpit tool tips I keep on as you said, to read small values like setting the trim on the NGX.

I had to disable the tool tips as it would cause my FSX to crash. (nVidia chipset)

CXA001-1.jpg

VATSIM: P2 | I1

Andy, Think the OP was referring to "Flying Tips" ( realism settings) which is buggy, Cockpit tool tips I keep on as you said, to read small values like setting the trim on the NGX.

Nope, it's cockpit tooltips I mean sorry I should have said. I didn't know about the flying tips.

Cockpit tooltips is what the FSX.cfg utility turned off.

Since then I've turned it back on and things seem ok, since I have an ATI card I should be safe hopefully.