Sign in to follow this  
afraj

Best Cessna 172

Whast is a good Cessna 172 in the market. I want to start using it as a homework towards my actual flight training.

I don't own it, but I know a lot of people swear by the Carenado products. They make a 172N for FSX.

Without belaboring the obvious (this isn't a GA Forum) I use the default MS Cessna 172, with the RealAir FS9 flight model files. Just open both side by side and make corresponding changes........ FREE! As soon as RealAir releases their 172 it will be the one to have......

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Theres an excellent Cessna Skycatcher for FSX out there too...

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Wait for the RealAir 172. It'll be out relatively soon.

I've used a 172N from Carenado from a friend, but I didn't like it.

Any particular reason? I'm just curious as I am looking for all opinions on the a/c.

Any particular reason? I'm just curious as I am looking for all opinions on the a/c.

Well like Adib said, I would use it to practice my flight lessons I do in the real world, but it is a Cessna 172N. I fly the Cessna 172SP Skyhawk, which is the exact model that Microsoft provides with FSX.

I have flight time in both older model 172s and 'next generation' 172s The handling is identical. One might be a little 'hoppier' with a low time engine vs a worn out high time engine. Systems and proceedures wise they are basically the same with some minor differences. The new 172's flight instruments are newer and a little more standardized in locations. New models are fuel injected vs old carb heat requiring slightly different start proceedure...starting with mixture on cutoff. Apart from A2A's Accusim P-40 and P-51, that hasn't been done in FSX realistically anyway. I've got the Carenado 172. It is a nice model on the outside, the VC is a little dated, the night lighting isnt realistic. The flight model is so-so, like a lot of the early Carenados, before Bernt Stolle joined their team. I would wait for RealAirs 172. In the meantime, if you don't mind handling a constant speed prop, F1's 177 Cardinal isn't too bad.

IMHO That being said, other than for proceedures training and memorizing checklists, I wouldn't use an FS plane for working on private pilots license. Since FS can't replicate the true 'feel' and 3D visual perspective of flying on to a 2D screen, it is best not to develop bad habits from FS. If you are working on your Instrument ticket, then by all means, FS is great for working on instrument flows/scans and navigation proceedures.

Cheers

TJ

This might seem off a little odd, but I would suggest you look at the Caronado 182. It is very realistic (for a sim) and close enough to the 172 to be instructive while being different enough to remind you that you are in the sim.

Honestly,

Focus on the real airplane. You'll have enough homework in other aviation things if you are doing your license. You shouldn't bother yourself trying to practice flying with FSX's narrow visual field of view.

When ya start doin' your IFR rating then it's maybe time to sit in front of FSX with the stopwatch and charts, but until then, just worry about the real deal.

I'm sorry if this opinion rocks the boat a bit, but I've seen instructors pulling their hair out regarding 'flight-sim' students for years.

I'm sorry if this opinion rocks the boat a bit, but I've seen instructors pulling their hair out regarding 'flight-sim' students for years.

Including myself and a good friend of mine. Flight Sim teaches you to looking at your instruments way to much and not focus on what's happening outside the plane. My friend Kris's instructor actually placed a board in front of his instruments in order to get him to look outside the plane :P

Including myself and a good friend of mine. Flight Sim teaches you to looking at your instruments way to much and not focus on what's happening outside the plane. My friend Kris's instructor actually placed a board in front of his instruments in order to get him to look outside the plane :P

I was doing my private lessons in college during the FS98 days. My instructor wanted my roomate to delete my FS install because it was giving me the habit of looking at the instruments too much and not getting a proper peripheral view. During your private lessons you need to learn 'seat of the pants' flying....ie your butt in your seat feels can tell when you are in flying uncoordinated without looking at the ball n slip.