Sign in to follow this  
afraj

Best Cessna 172

I have the Carenado 172 and I have commenced training for my PPL on this aircraft type and year. With the Saitek Yoke, Pedals and Trim wheel the sim is surprisingly accurate if you have a fast computer. The sims travel on pedals(saitek) is a bit further, while the toe breaks are very accurrat as is the trim wheel, and yoke. Don

Apart from making my instrument hours a little easier, there isn't a lot of cross-functional knowledge to be gained from using a MS home sim as a training aid, it's not recognized by the authorities as a valid training tool for a reason. If anything, real world flight experience makes simming easier, but then I guess that's pretty self explanatory...

I consider myself lucky that I can 'fly' an airliner at home, but it's a totally separate, parallel activity to jumping in a GA aircraft.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Honestly,

Focus on the real airplane. You'll have enough homework in other aviation things if you are doing your license. You shouldn't bother yourself trying to practice flying with FSX's narrow visual field of view.

When ya start doin' your IFR rating then it's maybe time to sit in front of FSX with the stopwatch and charts, but until then, just worry about the real deal.

I'm sorry if this opinion rocks the boat a bit, but I've seen instructors pulling their hair out regarding 'flight-sim' students for years.

disagree,

There are few things you should be aware when you use MSFS as a training tool, but if you are disciplined enough, there should not be any problems.

For example, you can practice all sort of flows, learn limitations, you can practice patterns, and if you have some nice VFR scenery, you can practice VFR routes without problems. The only thing you cant really learn is to actually control an aircraft, you should invest few RL hours to do that because flight models, input hardware and lack of forces simply do not allow you to do that in sim.

My instructor absolutely support this kind of practicing, and up to this day we didnt experienced any problems.

RealAir, Great if not best flight dynamics. They force it by any means to fly like its counterpart.

I saw someone compare the Real Air Legacy as the NGX of GA planes...I would agree with that comparison :)

Carenado has great visuals, but the flight dynamic is nowhere near the real thing. I'm doing my training in a 172, and what I did was replace the fde from carenado's with the freeware real air one (file is mentioned in an earlier post). That way it flies close to the real thing, AND I didn't waste 30 bucks :biggrin: ! lol.

Go real air.

+1 :smile:

Glen

The recent Flight 1 Cessna 177 Cardinal is a good alternative, especially as the Cardinal was supposed to replace the 172 in the real world.

For $23 you can't go wrong.