Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

Derated Thrust settings by Airline

Hi all, I know there are quite a few posts relating to engine derates. What I am hoping to gather here is a knowledge base of known airline specific engine takeoff derate (and climb derate) policies.

For example, I have read here that Southwest does not allow fixed derates (TO1, TO2) or fixed climb derates (CLB1, CLB2), but they do allow the selection of an assumed temp to derate the takeoff.

This is good information to know, because it explains how, relative to other airlines like Airtran, their NGs use so little runway and climb to cruise altitude with minimum time, thereby saving fuel and time in the long run while sacrificing engine wear and tear.

I would love to learn what some other airlines use as their derate policy for the NG series. If you happen to know how they do it IRL, please share!

Continental did not allow fixed derates for takeoff. Just assumed temperatures for almost every takeoff. I think they were allowed to have a derated climb rating though.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Cool info, thanks for sharing. As it turns out, for a few weeks I was flying Southwest routes exclusively, but I just started concentrating on United (former Continental NG's of course).

I am replicating some vacation flights from this past February on the -900ER and -800, and it's quite a challenge getting adjusted to the EFIS mode displays and lack of HGS for landing guidance, but that's why I love the NGX because it's so faithful to the intricacies of the real thing!

I figure in a few weeks I'll get bored with United ops and switch either to Alaska or some European carrier. I'd love some insight into Alaska Airlines, or any other american carrier for that matter.

I'd love some insight into Alaska Airlines

AS uses derates and/or ATM, including 27k Bump on most -800. We use ACARS for performance nearly 100% of the time and we also receive a Takeoff Performance Report with our dispatch release in case we want a hard copy.

Punch a button, it loads everything. PFM.

I've never seen a pilot at Alaska worry about the climb power derate unless there was an expedited climb requested.

Matt Cee

Well the I fly for has a rule of derating from 24k to 22k thrust. And CLB depends on load (pax, cargo and so on) as well.. :-)

737 CL/NG skysurfer

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg2zzdi.jpg

WJA usually uses TO2 takeoffs unless the restrictions for it are present (ie: High altitude). And for climb its usually normal climb or climb 1.

WJA usually uses TO2 takeoffs unless the restrictions for it are present (ie: High altitude). And for climb its usually normal climb or climb 1.

We actually do CLB2 a lot.

JackColwill