Sign in to follow this  
Silverbird

Aerosim's 787 for FSX released

Yup, I'm not a huge fan of the sidestick controller, nor of taking too much control away from the pilots either, and I'm glad that Boeing seem to think so too. However, I'm not one of those blindly faithful 'if it ain't Boeing...' flag wavers for them though; there are quite a lot of things about the EADS philosophy which are good from an operational standpoint.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Finally got my links and took the plane for a quick spin around Seattle. It really is kinda a joy to fly, don't know if it is accurate, but none the less it flies nice. The only thing I noticed is it is a bit sensitive with it's roll rate, sort of fighterjet-esque. Graphically it isn't bad, the modeling is actually pretty good, the textures could use some love though. Worth $50?, probably not, do I regret buying it? not at all, I think I will get some good hours of enjoyment from it.

Was just weighing up whether or not to make an Air India repaint for it just for something to do. Might knock one up this week for a laugh, it's a pretty paint job they have.

Al

Alan Bradbury

I just looked up Air India, it is a nice livery; I am working on a fictional Delta. At least the Aerosim people were nice enough to give a blank white texture.

Above, I forgot to mention that the dimming windows are super-cool. Not much practicality, but very fun to play with.

Nah, it's yer bog standard flight sim malarkey. Basically it looks like a 787 and has a VC which looks like it, has a simple FMC, an HGS, and can do basic LNAV/VNAV. That's about your lot.

Al

Honestly, this is almost enough to convince me to shell out the cash for it. I'd love to fly a 787 with moderate realism. I really don't care much about the super in depth stuff.

As long as I can get from point A to point B using a semi advanced auto-pilot with a custom SID/STAR flightplan, I am happy.

BUT, I will gladly accept an aircraft with fully simulated systems. (I love PDMG for this! hehe) :smile:

Is it possible to add 3rd party gauges, as in a FMC and nav display to?

Yup, I've put ISG gauges into the AeroSim 747-400D and the 777-300 in the past (FMC, replacement PFD, weather radar etc). Not done so in the 787 because it actually has a (very) basic FMC already, although it would not be any harder to do so in their 787. I might try it to give it a bit more capability at some point, but I'm happy enough with it as is for now. Since there are LNAV and VNAV buttons on the MCP of all three of them, when you add the ISG FMC, you can also add the ISG LNAV and VNAV buttons to the MCP too which makes it all usable from the VC. Actually, the ease of being able to do all that stuff in AeroSim's jets is one of the reasons I like them.

Al

Alan Bradbury

I finally went ahead and purchased the Aerosim 787. I am in the process of trying to add the ANA repaints mentioned in this thread, but I can't seem to find the cfg files that have to be added for the three textures. Any idea as to what I may be missing? I have the three texture files, but the cfg files for each only have a couple of lines in them.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I finally went ahead and purchased the Aerosim 787.

How is it? I am really intrigued by this release.

How is it? I am really intrigued by this release.

I think I share the same opinion as Todd from a few posts back. I took it for a very quick spin (10 minutes up and down); just point A to point B without really using anything other than the flight controls, so I can't really comment on the systems yet. It looks nice, has great frame rates, and seems that it will be one of those great "get in and go" jets when you don't have much set up time available. Certainly not as advanced as a PMDG type bird, but I think there are much worse ways to spend $50. I was willing to pay a bit of a premium just to buy this, and I do sort of like Aerosim;s philosophy; it seems they have achieved their goal with this aircraft. Since I usually don't do the cold and dark start type stuff, I don't regard myself as the most capable reviewer. Like I said though, it seems that it will provide many hours of entertainment.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Good comment Pete. From good common sense midwesterner. Dont see much of that these days!

I finally went ahead and purchased the Aerosim 787. I am in the process of trying to add the ANA repaints mentioned in this thread, but I can't seem to find the cfg files that have to be added for the three textures. Any idea as to what I may be missing? I have the three texture files, but the cfg files for each only have a couple of lines in them.

Cheers, Pete

Pete - here are the sections in my aircraft.cfg that seem to work for the ANA liveries - The GE model:

[fltsim.2]

title=AS_B7878_FSX_GE(B787 FSX03)

sim=AS_B7878_GE_FSX

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=Ana 787

kb_checklists=AS_B7878_GE_FSX_Check

kb_reference=AS_B7878_GE_FSX_Ref

atc_id=JA78PG

atc_airline=All Nippon

atc_flight_number=788

ui_manufacturer="BOEING"

ui_type="787-8 GE"

ui_variation="ANA 787"

ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"

ui_createdby="AeroSim Corporation"

description="The AeroSim Boeing 787-8 (B787 for FSX)

[fltsim.3]

title=AS_B7878_FSX_GE(B787 FSX04)

sim=AS_B7878_GE_FSX

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=ANA 787 inspiration of Japan

atc_id=JA78PG

atc_airline=All Nippon

atc_flight_number=788

ui_manufacturer="BOEING"

ui_type="787-8 GE"

ui_variation="ANA 787 inspiration of Japan"

[fltsim.4]

title=AS_B7878_FSX_GE(B787 FSX05)

sim=AS_B7878_GE_FSX

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=ANA 787 inspiration of Japan (Rainbow LED)

atc_id=JA78PG

atc_airline=All Nippon

atc_flight_number=788

ui_manufacturer="BOEING"

ui_type="787-8 GE"

ui_variation="ANA 787 inspiration of Japan (Rainbow LED)"

I also did them for the RR model:

[fltsim.3]

title=AS_B7878_FSX_RR(B787 FSX04)

sim=AS_B7878_RR_FSX

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=ANA 787

kb_checklists=AS_B7878_RR_FSX_check

kb_reference=AS_B7878_RR_FSX_ref

atc_id=JA78AS

atc_airline=All Nippon

atc_flight_number=788

ui_manufacturer="BOEING"

ui_type="787-8 RR"

ui_variation="ANA 787"

description="The AeroSim Boeing 787-8 (B787 for FSX) ANA

[fltsim.4]

title=AS_B7878_FSX_RR(B787 FSX05)

sim=AS_B7878_RR_FSX

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=ANA 787 inspiration of Japan

atc_id=JA78AS

atc_airline=All Nippon

atc_flight_number=788

ui_manufacturer="BOEING"

ui_type="787-8 RR"

ui_variation="ANA 787 inspiration of Japan"

description="The AeroSim Boeing 787-8 (B787 for FSX) ANA inspiration of Japan

[fltsim.5]

title=AS_B7878_FSX_RR(B787 FSX06)

sim=AS_B7878_RR_FSX

model=

panel=

sound=

texture=ANA 787 inspiration of Japan (Rainbow LED)

atc_id=JA78AS

atc_airline=All Nippon

atc_flight_number=788

ui_manufacturer="BOEING"

ui_type="787-8 RR"

ui_variation="ANA 787 inspiration of Japan (Rainbow LED)"

description="The AeroSim Boeing 787-8 (B787 for FSX) ANA inspiration of Japan (Rainbow LED)

I'm tempted to integrate the ISG SMITH'S FMC stuff as well.....

Hey Al - would you please PM me with your code to insert that and the EFB from the CS777?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hey Al - would you please PM me with your code to insert that and the EFB from the CS777?

Thanks,

Jim

Paste this into your panel config file up at the top:

Window09=Electronic Flight Bag

and paste this too of course:

[Window09]

background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=320,540

window_pos=0.440,0.269

visible=0

ident=11103

no_luminous=1

gauge00=Captain_Sim.x777.efb2d!panel_l, 0,0, 320, 540

gauge01=Captain_Sim.x777.efb!screen_l, 37,56, 244, 432

Then copy the EFB folder from the Captain Sim 777 main aircraft folder and paste that into the 787 Aircraft folder, either the GE one or the RR one, whichever you are doing the panel change to (or both if you like).

Then copy the contents of this folder: Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\CS_B777-200\panel

And paste it into this folder: Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\AS_B7878_RR_FSX (or the GE one if you are doing the GE variant.)

That's it. The 2D pop up window 9 on your 787 will now be the EFB from the CS 777, although you will have to put charts into the EFB folder you pasted into your 787 Aircraft folder rather than the one in the CS 777. You could of course alias this stuff instead of duplicating it if you are bothered about having multiple copies of the same file if you wanted to - up to you.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Hi Al - thanks a bunch, and a quick question - do the entire contents of the CS777 panel folder get copied directly into the main folder for the 787? I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg