Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Belly it in if you can

I have found that I can Belly in the P-40 with full flaps and not be kiked out of free flight. I would like to stop the engine but can't do it ( no VC controls ) with out automaticly dropping the landing gear and loosing the flaps. After you slid to a stop the prop just keeps turning. If the "B" botton is pushed the aircraft will pop right back up on it's gear and be ready to go again. Now I have not been able to belly in the P-51, I think because of the air scoop location on the underside.I do not have the Zero or the F4U to try out. The Zero should be easy but not sure of the F4U. Anyway, fun trying.

Pull the mixture all the way out to shut down.

Ok, am I missing something fundamental here. How do I pull the mixture out with out a mixture control knob as there is no VC? I can just go to idle.

Use the keyboard mixture keys.

Not sure what they are, though. I use wheels on my throttle controller for prop and mixture.

Ok, got it, thanks ( Shift + F1) Never throught to check the key board controls as I never use them with the VC aircraft. Another disavantage, I hate flying with the HUD.

Shift+F1,F2,F3,F4 = Mixture

Ctrl+F1,F2,F3,F4 = Prop

F1,F2,F3,F4 = Throttle

Same as in FS, I think.

Best regards.

Luis

The old FS is Ctrl-Shift-F# for mixture. I've made my Flight the same. That way it's three buttons together to lean/cut off, so less chance of doing it by mistake!

I tried belly-landing the F4U -- mixture -0-, flaps full, came down gingerly over the runway and set it down at just above stall speed.

Results were ... less than satisfactory. :vava:

For those of you that use the XBox controller I've found that remapping the prop and fuel mix controls to the 4 right hand buttons (A,B,X,Y) works really well. You lose the gear control, cycle through views, brakes, and enter/exit (the dumbest control to be given a dedicated button) controls. Putting the brakes on the back button (which is the map by default) works ok, it's not ideal but it seems good enough (I don't think you can remap the start button, which would have worked better for the brakes), and the keyboard works fine for the other controls.

Overall I think it's a huge improvement; no more keyboard shortcuts, or being forced to use the mouse for the push/pull controls, which I always found awkward. They move in 5% increments, but you might be able to change that.

I tried belly-landing the F4U -- mixture -0-, flaps full, came down gingerly over the runway and set it down at just above stall speed.

Results were ... less than satisfactory. :vava:

Try it in the dirt!