Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

J41 - How to program a button for Go Around

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how to program a button for the Go Around button. Can't seem to figure it out. Anybody have a successful way of doing that using FSUIPC?

Thanks,

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

There is no autothrottle in the J-41, so there's no reason to set it for throttle purposes. The only thing you'd be affecting would be the F/D, and if anything, you'd accomplish that via the Flight Sim controls/key-commands if I'm thinking it through correctly. It's clearly a button in the VC, but it's a matter how that button sends the command and if you can attach that to a keystroke/j-command.

Kyle Rodgers

I guess, if that's the answer, the question becomes 'what does it do?' I was doing some pattern work, trying to iron out visual approach procedures yesterday (now there's a cheap way to have an expensive hobby) and some of them were so poor that I executed missed approaches. Rolling onto final is a real trick. I thought that, perhaps, it just tells the 'too low, gear' to shut the heck up.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

"Momentary operation of the GA switch on the left POWER lever causes the FCC to engage the GA mode and cancel all other selected modes.

The FCC produces commands to achieve a wing level, approximately 8 deg pitch up.

If autopilot is engaged when GA is selected it will be disengaged.

Selection of any lateral mode commands lateral guidance, but maintains the pitch angle. Selection of a vertical mode cancels the GA mode."

Noah Bryant

Ah. I was searching for "Go Around" not "Go-Around". Very good.

But, dear lord. Seems like it would be just better to handle it manually.

Gregg Seipp

But, dear lord. Seems like it would be just better to handle it manually.

Exactly. GA mode in most planes is really there to set up an aiming point when you have your hands full flying the plane. You'll note most TO/GA (or just GA) switches/buttons are right on the yoke/throttle as it's assumed that's where your hands will be in that flight segment.

Most landings are made by hand, contrary to the sim (and some public) idea that the plane lands itself all day, so you're off the AP and your hands are on the stick and throttle. In a plane without AT or thrust limiters, the only thing GA can do for you is set you up with a point to aim the nose up. Even with AT and the respective thrust limiters, it only bumps your thrust limit up slightly higher (then again, most planes in this group change to TO/GA thrust limits before the point of a GA, rather as you get closer to beginning your approach).

Kyle Rodgers

With the J41 on final, my hand is always on the throttle. Hell, on AP, that seems like the only job until you get to 200 ft. AGL. Still, I'm thinking just to do the job myself instead of pressing the button. It seems like a 'risk management' button to me. I was handling the go arounds fine by hand and there was no way I was going to look down to find and press a button anyway...probably less realistic than doing it by hand. I'll just focus on improving the approach.

Gregg Seipp

Hi Gregg,

That´s what I´m using for the TO/GA Button:

ipc.writeLvar("L:GoAroundSwitch", 1)

ipc.control(66587,4890)

ipc.control(66587,8031)

ipc.sleep(200)

ipc.writeLvar("L:GoAroundSwitch", 0)

ipc.control(66587,8031)

ipc.control(66587,4891)

It´s a part of a LUA script I´m using in FSUIPC.

The easiest way would be to use LINDA. Just use google and enter LINDA and FSUIPC.

It´s very helpfull and you will be able to map nearly everything on your stick.

Regards,

Torsten

I have both Linda and FSUIPC...but I don't know anything about how to use them with LUA scripts. Do you just paste that into a text file, drop it into the FSUIPC director and then, somehow assign it to a button?

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Hi Gregg,

The installation and setup of Linda is easy:

1) extract the files in the FSX\Modules folder

2) Remove existing axis assignments in FSX

After this, just start the Linda Tool and select the airplane you want to configure from the top level drop-down box and configure everything.

There is a good manual for the tool: http://fs-linda.com/downloads/Manual.pdf

Just read it step by step and you will have configured the joystick very fast. For the JS41 you don´t need any special LUA file. It´s already packaged in Linda :)

One important thing!! You need the registered version of FSUIPC. The free one doesn´t allow to assign buttons and axis!!

I hope that I could point you in the right direction. For more information about Linda, I would suggest their forum, instead of the PMDG one: http://forum.avsim.net/forum/424-linda/

Regards,

Torsten

Thanks Torsten,

I've got all the stuff and I'll take a look when I get a bit of time. FSUIPC handles pretty much my entire configuration, and I'm delving into the more complex things as need arises. The only thing I've used Linda for was my MCP (which is now inop and I am looking to fix/replace).

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Just like Kyle said : "Most landings are made by hand, contrary to the sim ..."

I've been watching a couple of the "World Air Routes" DVDs that I bought, where you get to watch how airline pilots go about their business in the flight deck, and I was really surprised at how many "hands-on" approaches/landings they performed. In fact, one thing I did notice, was that every landing was performed by hand, even though some of the landing were made using the ILS.

So, practising manual landing is the way to go, to "simulate" the real flights.

Besides, the J41 is a joy to fly by hand, I reckon.

Happy landing ....

I've been watching a couple of the "World Air Routes" DVDs that I bought, where you get to watch how airline pilots go about their business in the flight deck, and I was really surprised at how many "hands-on" approaches/landings they performed. In fact, one thing I did notice, was that every landing was performed by hand, even though some of the landing were made using the ILS.

I worked at a real world regional airport many years ago and, I would say, about 60% of the approaches done by commuters (Embrear 120, B737, DC9 and a small turboprop pretty similar to the J41). I would say that 50-60% of the approaches they flew were visual (hence, my practice of visual approaches). They flew more instruments when traffic was higher or weather was poorer (of course.) It probably confirms what you say...that they do like flying the airplane with their hands. I'd love to see some of those approaches.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

Even the instrument approaches were likely flown by hand, and just to get a little more information out there, you'll hear controllers issue the following sometimes:

"United 962, fly heading 040, intercept the Runway 1C localizer and track it inbound, report the field in sight."

This is used in order to get aircraft aligned farther out in the case of higher traffic loads with reduced visibility (visibility is actually 10SM, but you're stringing aircraft out to 20 - you'll see this done at airports like IAD). Another tactic would be to have the pilot report the aircraft ahead of him in sight, but if you're running visuals on parallel runways, you run the risk of the pilot spotting the wrong aircraft. Furthermore, even if ATC doesn't prompt them, some pilots will track the LOC inbound anyway, just so that they're following the optimal line to the runway.

On instruments doesn't necessarily mean on AP.

Kyle Rodgers

Ask about any pilot out there, and he will confirm - most any instrument approach is sub-optimal. You can do better on visual, better fuel economy, less track, less noise. That is, if you can do visual.