Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Want your computer to rock

Guys this is a must for not much investment, my computer would boot about in about a minute well now its done in about 20 seconds this is an amazing piece of hardware, NGX now is even much more fun load times smoothness is great - FSX loads much faster - if you do not know about this little gem well you should think about one makes all of your tasks much faster had to pass this on. Just make sure you meet the requirements windows 7 being the most important.

http://www.crucial.com/store/ssc.aspx

Rich Sennett

Your welcome Robert :) check out this little graphic :) fyi no maintenance install it load software bam it does all the rest, stating the obvious never touch it such as a defrag just defrag your normal hard drive before its asked it only boots the c: drive right now in the future it may work on other added hard drives so if you have fsx on a d: drive or wahtever it will not boost fsx just anything on your c: drve fyi.

884adrenaline.jpg

Rich Sennett

Yes Robert it will not work for fsx on another drive for now I think they are working on it working on more than one HD, but anything on c: drive will benefit.

Rich Sennett

Richard- I use it as well- LOVE IT.... disabled my IRST in favor of this.......

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

"disabled my IRST" what does this mean ? thanks Carl.

Rich Sennett

Yeah im tempted by a ssd, i got an email from ebuyer, they have a corsair 120 gb on sale for £79.99 reduced from £120 which is cracking i just cant be arsed to reinstall fsx again (lazy).

Are they really that much faster? should i stop being lazy?

Chris Howard

Yeah im tempted by a ssd, i got an email from ebuyer, they have a corsair 120 gb on sale for £79.99 reduced from £120 which is cracking i just cant be arsed to reinstall fsx again (lazy).

Are they really that much faster? should i stop being lazy?

That leads to a question I had on my mind for some time now, is there any kind of software solution that allows one to make an image of an entire harddrive (likely not the C:drive or OS boot drive) and just paste it onto a newly purchased hard drive? For me, FSX and its tons of of addons is installed on a separate drive, and I'd imagine most people who follow the FSX install guides by the likes of NickN subscribe to this philosophy as well. It would take days to reinstall all of this into a new hard drive, and I must say, even if I found a large SSD drive at a big discount and with it's noticeable improvements to loading times, I would skip this kind of purchase. Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm proud of the fact that my FSX drive's contents are basically the same as they were when I built this system 2 years ago.

There must be some kind of solution out there, given all the talk of OS virtualization and cloud computing. I guess the question is if there is a solution, is it affordable?

That leads to a question I had on my mind for some time now, is there any kind of software solution that allows one to make an image of an entire harddrive (likely not the C:drive or OS boot drive) and just paste it onto a newly purchased hard drive?

Exactly what i am wondering, if this was the case i would not hesitate.

Edited by christos

Chris Howard

That leads to a question I had on my mind for some time now, is there any kind of software solution that allows one to make an image of an entire harddrive (likely not the C:drive or OS boot drive) and just paste it onto a newly purchased hard drive? For me, FSX and its tons of of addons is installed on a separate drive, and I'd imagine most people who follow the FSX install guides by the likes of NickN subscribe to this philosophy as well. It would take days to reinstall all of this into a new hard drive, and I must say, even if I found a large SSD drive at a big discount and with it's noticeable improvements to loading times, I would skip this kind of purchase. Maybe I'm lazy, but I'm proud of the fact that my FSX drive's contents are basically the same as they were when I built this system 2 years ago.

There must be some kind of solution out there, given all the talk of OS virtualization and cloud computing. I guess the question is if there is a solution, is it affordable?

Exactly what i am wondering, if this was the case i would not hesitate.

Clonezilla (free), Paragon backup & recovery ($40), Paragon Hard Disk Manager Suite (like backup & recovery but with some aditional features) ($50), Acronis True Image...

...and of course any of those will back up your system drives, including the OS drive

[media=]

[/media]

I bought a SATA 1tb drive on ebay. Handed over to techie who put it into a Ritmo gizmo which made an exact duplicate of the source drive with FSX and all the goodies on it. Put the old still working drive in the safe in case of disastrous failure and put new 1TB drive into the laptop. Works like the old one - could not tell the difference and if all goes pear shaped I just put the old drive out of the safe and FSX, the NGX, REX and Aust SPS4 are all up and running and it all take less than two minutes.

Too easy.

Gerry

Cheers Dario!

Chris Howard

I'm really thinking about pulling the trigger on this product, but do you think SSD's will be like flatscreens real expensive at first and now they are realatively cheap compared to two years ago? I really want to get a 500GB one but man they are pricey.

What the hell is a Ritmo gizmo lol

Rich Sennett