Sign in to follow this  
Kerlix

Trim Operation and Sound

Hi all.

Forgive me if these questions are stupid, but I seemed to realize that something has been missing as of late. Actually, I think it's been missing for a while now that I think about it.....

The sound of the trim wheel during operation doesn't seem to exist anymore. Either manual editing the trim, or when the A/P is flying the plane. I can see the trim moving/adjusting, I just can't hear that signature sound it makes.

I have the trim mapped to a button on my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke.

It also doesn't seem to really whip around like I remember it doing when I first got the NGX. It's just a slow, constant roll. This is both manual and A/P.

Also (and this may be REALLY dumb), does the trim adjust itself automatically when hand-flying? I imagine it doesn't and only moves when the trim buttons on the yoke are pushed. At least, that's how it works for me.

I'm not sure there's a volume adjustment I made through the FMC or what. I know that I can still hear switches clicking, if that means anything.

Thanks for any help. I just realized it while I was watching a video of the NGX on youtube.

Have you tried turning the A/P off and manually keeping the trim going up or down for about 5 seconds? There's an FSX limitation that makes the sound of the trim wheel delay by a couple of seconds from when you start trimming.

I also have the Saitek yoke and I have no problems.

If the suggestion above didn't work, go into Settings>Controls>Buttons>Control Surfaces>Elevator Trim-up and Elevator trim-down. The "repeat" bar on the right should be set to full.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The trim will move automatically in some situations. Also, there are two trim speeds - slow with flaps up and fast with flaps not up.

Matt Cee

I'm not sure is an FSX limit as in other addons the trim could be heard as soon it is used. However it could be in the way pmdg did it, probably differently from the other simulated planes.

On other add ons, people were not very happy to hear the trim rattle in all situations when the trim was in use.

However, except for that simulated part, you had already the answers:

2 trim speeds (depending on flap position)

Speed trim wich self trim the aircraft in some conditions.

Regards

Andrea Daviero

(This is just a related point that could be relevant in this context).

You might want to also bear in mind the trim movement limits, the lower end of which varies from 3.90 to 4.30 according to model — see the NGX Introduction manual, bottom of page 0.00.28 to top of page 0.00.29.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

I have the same problem.  Trim sound was there for the past five days since I purchased the package.  However, this afternoon, the trim sound is gone.  The trim works perfectly, just no sound.  Also, the engine noise changed at full takeoff power.  Before today, I did not get a loud fan whine at full power, now I do.

Just discovered that all of the cockpit sounds are gone, not just the trim.  Engine noise is slightly different with the engine white at full power, but no change in air noise when I raise or lower the gear either. 

Full names in the PMDG forums please.

Verify your Sound settings are correct, use the Introduction document.  Also, try A then Shift-A to rule out a constant FSX problem with sounds and displays when changing window focus.  Finally, you can run the installer and select REPAIR to fix a problem with missing or corrupt files.

Dan Downs KCRP

Full names, okay, Bob Jones.  Not sure I got the name tag correct, but will see after this post.

I plugged my sound system into the headset plug on front of my computer until my long cable arrives.  If I boot with the plug there, I seem to lose the cockpit sounds.  If I boot with the plug in the back port, all sound work correctly.  Makes no sense to me, they should be the same.  However, I did this twice with the same results.

If I boot with the plug there, I seem to lose the cockpit sounds.  If I boot with the plug in the back port, all sound work correctly.  Makes no sense to me, they should be the same.  However, I did this twice with the same results.

The sound card, etc might possibly be sensing speaker/phone connections when booting,

and changing channel outputs depending on how you are plugged up..

Just an idea anyway.. Seems I've seen some do that before. If you boot with the back, and

then plug into the front after back booting, does it then work from the front, or do you have

to keep it plugged into the back to hear the sounds?

Thanks. Seems to be working okay today. Can't duplicate the problem.

Bob Jones

Retired FAA