Sign in to follow this  
fsxkitty

Any good quality 787s?

Does anyone know of any good 787s for FSX, payware or freeware? I'd like good model quality and a good VC. I've tried some of the freeware ones but the quality ain't great.

If you don't mind it missing some systems such as FMC (there is one actually, but not really complete one), then Aerosim 787 could be good. You can find some videos about it from youtube, they seem to be from Japanese version, but you can also buy English version. It has pretty high quality virtual cockpit with interesting custom gauges, nice virtual cabin and wing views, wing flex, all that. It also flies ok.

But it is also expensive.

See this page: http://www.aerosim.co.jp/eigo/page1_e.htm

Also picture taken by me on test flight with my virtual airline colors... At the moment making longer flight with it, will land at Heathrow soon:

Fscamp,

Yikes..I like this plane but it costs almost as much as the pmdg737 Nail%20Biting.gif

Yeah, QW will be better when it comes of course and very likely also cheaper. But like said its not going to come very soon, atm QW seems to have a lot of job to do with their Avro too.

Screenshot of the FMC on the Aerosim 787 Dreamliner:

2012-6-3_15-58-10-734.jpg

That was taken when it had loaded in a flight plan, which was initially created in FSX, then saved, opened in Aivlasoft's EFB to add the SID and STAR, then saved out to FSX format and loaded up in FSX, which put it into the FMC on the Aerosim 787, but now with the SID and STAR, as you can see (you could do the same with FSBuild). Obviously this is not how it is done on the real aeroplane, but in fact it is not that far off in the sense that flight plans are often dumped into the FMC from a laptop, so it is kind of similar in some ways. The V-speeds are automatically calculated based on fuel weight and conditions and this sets the bugs on the PFD automatically too. You can mess around with some of the settings in the FMC via the CDU, but not all of them, so it is a very basic FMC, but it is good enough to pull off a flight with VNAV speed and LNAV if you want to, since these do function on the MCP.

Aerosim airliners are certainly no PMDG or A2A when it comes to modeling systems, but to be fair, they never claim to be, instead aiming for decent basic functionality with nice modeling and good FPS, which is something that they do achieve on all their FSX aircraft. Fans of the PMDG approach to simulating things in as much detail as possible probably won't like Aerosim's products, but as I do with PMDG, I also regard Aerosim as a good developer, simply because they too succeed in what they set out to do, which in their case is to produce simplified FPS-friendly functional airliners which look good. And where support is concerned, if you email them, they do get back to you in spite of the language barrier.

This means that Aerosim's airliners are well suited to shorter set up times, but still achieve good FPS when you have EFBs, Radar Contact, fancy add-on airports etc all running alongside FSX with all the detail sliders over to the right. Not having to worry about FSX locking up or the screen going black after a five hour flight or whatever because of RAM dumping errors or some such is a feature which certainly makes them appeal to me. i.e they are airliners that get the kind of frame rates which normally only basic GA aeroplanes get in FSX, and your computer is unlikely to run out of steam when flying them.

I don't think anyone would deny that Aerosim's products are pricey, but part of that is the way exchange rates work, and part of it is that you do get a very nicely modeled aeroplane which most other developers have not yet got around to (i.e. they do a 400D variant of the 747 for example, and three variants of the 777). They are indeed basic in terms of systems, but can be tarted up with your own avionics relatively easily if you feel the urge to do so, which makes them a good candidate for ISG's stuff if you like tinkering around with VCs etc (which I do).

A nice touch that is present on the Aerosim 787, is the electo-optical dimmers on the passenger windows, which work by dragging your mouse on the window to alter the window tinting (it looks to me like they've done it by enabling you to drag a gradient tint on an alpha channel, although that is just a guess), so if you like wing views, that is kind of fun, since the cabin interior is modeled.

But if you can wait, then the Quality Wings 787 will probably be more accurate on systems and probably more functional and prettier in the VC, although since they are currently working on getting their 146/RJ out of the hangar, that might be a while. Other than that, the only other choice is Abacus if you want a 787, and that one is a bit grim to be honest.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

How are the liveries? On the product page they say there are the Aerosim and the boeing variant. Will there be a painkit? And will there be more available?

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

Aerosim always have done paintkits for their add-ons, so I should imagine they will for their 787, although it invariably appears a couple of months after release, but anyone who is half decent with Photoshop could repaint it anyway, and I have seen some paint jobs on youtube videos, which were presumably done that way.

Aerosim's paint kits are normally linked under the product page when available; you usually need to type in a word from a page in the manual in order to install the paint kit. At present you get about five liveries with it - the Boeing BCA scheme, the more recent Dreamliner scheme, and some Aerosim house liveries, and you get two engine variants, GE and Rolls Royce.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Al, will wait for the liveries and then maybe considering the buy. I have there Japanese airports and I' m very pleased with it. It brings a pleasant variety to explore more of the world than flying in Europe and the US all the time.

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I would really like to know if there is any reasonable 787 add on I can use. QW will take their time while more and more real world flights are adopting boeing 787.....

Would appreciate any help or suggestions...

Bilal Asif Khan

Although this thread is 4 years old, the information appears to be accurate.   Basically, for payware, you have Aerosim and Abacus 787, the former looks decent, but is expensive, while the latter is regarded as the worst payware aircraft ever released.  Unfortunately, QW and Just Flight are still working on their renditions, both look like they are closing in on a release date.  There are a few freeware models (Cam-Sim and TDS) available; however, I doubt they have very complicated cockpits and/or avionics.   

Matt King