Sign in to follow this  
spilok

FSX config. Good idea to refresh occasionally?

Is it a good idea ( as a method of preventive care) to occasionally "refresh" the FSX config file? Re- building it would seem to logically keep things in order. I've done numerous add-ons, driver changes, and settings changes within FSX over the last few months, and I am starting to think that letting the program refresh would be both logical and healthy.

What do you think about this? And if you agree, how often should it be done?

Stan

I've always followed the mentality of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in regards to the fsx.cfg file

I don't 'refresh' it but I do save a copy everytime I add or change something, so I know I have a trouble free copy if anything goes wrong.

Jay

I really agree with FSXHD, don't mess with the FSX.CFG if it ain't broke. I too keep a backup copy of my current cfg, but it works like a champ with tweaks that have been added. Just adding scenery and other non airplane things to FSX does not affect my cfg. Its working great and I have no intention on letting FSX rebuild another one with the one I have is working GREAT.

Bob

I've always followed the mentality of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in regards to the fsx.cfg file

Same here, although I have been running the same video card drivers for sometime now, I always copy my .cfg to the desk top and let FSX rebuild a new one after a driver install, then apply any of my custom setting to it from the original .cfg, which is usually just highmemfix and the vasi and light scalars.

I don't 'refresh' it but I do save a copy everytime I add or change something, so I know I have a trouble free copy if anything goes wrong.

Every time I install a new plane, scenery or utility I make a back up of my .cfg, dll.xml, exe.xml, and scenery .cfg just to be on the safe side in case I download something with a rogue installer that does something it shouldn't. Aside from that I never "refresh" .cfg if everything is working as it should be.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I also agree. I too have been running the same video card drivers for a long time (and still using nHancer). I never upgrade them because most of the reports I see on drivers are for those with newer cards. Also, Nick's original nHancer setting work for me just fine (combined with some of *******' tweaks). I've been running the same OC since 11/09 and I really don't want to mess with it again.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

As a rule of thumb, If it ain't broke don't fix it...The only thing I occasionally do is to default the original flight,once in a,while and starte FSX by default Aircreation at St, Marteen; FSX Default flight.

If you have your own default, simply go to your FSX.cfg file and find the line refferring to you flight. Add (//) in front of it and then start FSX...It will start default. Then go back and remove the line and you're good to go again.

There is no better advice than making a backup copy of a stable FSX.cfg file every several weeks. It's saved me many, many times!

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

No better advice Alex. I personally have a couple that work for me; The latest a clean .cfg Paul J made for me after he helped me install AlacrityPC to profile it to my FSX Installation; Works like a Charm.

berlopez

I clean out the old stuff from the "trusted" section now and then; it doesn't really do anything. I guess it is compulsive behavior.

scott s.

Scott, what do you meand "Old Stuff"?...If you still have addons thatuse these gauges and lines they will just reload...Asking you for permission to install again...

Cleaning the "Trusted" Section doesn't help if the addon is still installed.because the gauge,dll,or whatever is going to be called the minute you start with that addon...

Berlopez

I was of the thinking expressed here--"if it's not broke . . ." However, if you are playing around with tweaks, it's good to start over. I was frustrated with performance problems, tried adjusting a number of tweaks I had in my fsx.cfg. Decided to let FSX write a new one. Wow, what a difference! Minimal tweaks now and things have been running great. You can overtweak, no doubt. If tweaking isn't your problem, you'd probably see little benefit to refreshing the fsx.cfg.

Randall

Cleaning the "Trusted" Section

You like adding those gauges and dll's back into your config file. You'll do more damage by rebuilding the config then by fixing something thats isn't broken! You SHOULD rebuild after video card replacement. I save all my tweaks and trusted stuff so I dont have to go through all that B.S. again. Gota luv Prepar3D for leaving that trusted crap out!

It's not by free chioce that some of those gauges add themselves onto the ,cfg file some addons need them to operate properly,Without them you might not even get sound fils to play properly or even at all...For us still usinig FSX. I'm sure Pepar3D uses another sytem to adjust itself,

Thanks for your imput,

berlopez

Scott, what do you meand "Old Stuff"?...If you still have addons thatuse these gauges and lines they will just reload...Asking you for permission to install again...

Cleaning the "Trusted" Section doesn't help if the addon is still installed.because the gauge,dll,or whatever is going to be called the minute you start with that addon...

For me most typical is a new version of fsuipc or fsdreamteam addon manager (bglmanx and couatl). The new versions result in the "do you want to trust this software" popup on first load and it gets added at the end of the "trusted" section. So now and then I clean out all the old versions.

scott s.