Sign in to follow this  

Any graphic design critics in the crowd?

Guest mikehaska

Hi guys,I'm working on a project for my COMS380 class that requires a website, hence this is my intro graphic for said page.My project deals with the various concerns raised with computerization of fly-by-wire systems. If you have any suggestions of anything I can add to the graphic, or another graphic layer I should add, or even just general criticism, I would be most appreciative.

Great picture, but can I give a little constructive advice in good spirit (using my graphic design and fine art degree skills).The composition is heavily weighted in preference to the left side and, to add to that, the direction of travel of the Airbus draws us to the left. In some respects this is good, as the aircraft draws our eye to the details on the left side, however the overall result is that the composition is not weighted correctly.You should be able to take any such image and place it on an imaginary wire or pin and you should get the feeling that the image would balance itself. In the case of your image, this would not be the case as it would fall off to the left.Perhaps, from a compositional perspective, you should consider

Great picture, but can I give a little constructive advice in good spirit (using my graphic design and fine art degree skills).The composition is heavily weighted in preference to the left side and, to add to that, the direction of travel of the Airbus draws us to the left. In some respects this is good, as the aircraft draws our eye to the details on the left side, however the overall result is that the composition is not weighted correctly.You should be able to take any such image and place it on an imaginary wire or pin and you should get the feeling that the image would balance itself. In the case of your image, this would not be the case as it would fall off to the left.Perhaps, from a compositional perspective, you should consider

Sorry, pasted the wrong message in my previous post with the image.I have added the image to show weighted composition. The image is a cover I made for a DVD stlye case that holds a backup CD of freeware aircraft I have downloaded (made prior to a reinstall) - and I should add this backup is used for personal backup purposes only (so respects all author's copyrights). Basically knocked out this cover to give myself something to do on a lazy sunday afternoon.I do not think the image is any where near as good as your own, and have not posted it for any other reason that to show the compostion structure - and hopefully give an example that will assist in understanding my previous post.I hope this helps!Again - this is intended as helpful advice rather than any "critisism" as I genuinely like your image.(Sorry about messing up the previous post - a little tired today).Regards,Andrew

Guest mikehaska

Andrew,That's some great advice, so thanks for passing it along. The reason I kept the right side weighted that way is because I am putting some text on that side... but I might add something anyway, just to even it out.Thanks!Edit: I've tried playing around with the image to give more balance, and I think flipping the direction of the aircraft works nicely- What do you think?

Nice - this works very well!The whole image now balances.Glad I could be of assistance - best of luck with your project.Sincere regards,Andrew