Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

The carb heat bug for fuel injected engine fixed by payware aircrafts?

Hi all,

Do you know which GA payware aircraft(s) actually has this bug fixed by masking it in their system simulation? Surely advanced and sophisticate developer like RealAir and Milviz plus may be other know how to beat this bug? It seems super silly to keep heating the carb when there is none.

Thanks for replying.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Hi all,

Do you know which GA payware aircraft(s) actually has this bug fixed by masking it in their system simulation? Surely advanced and sophisticate developer like RealAir and Milviz plus may be other know how to beat this bug? It seems super silly to keep heating the carb when there is none.

Thanks for replying.

Great though FSX is, I assure you that almost all developers spend at least a third of their time overcoming a whole list of bugs inherent in FSX and carb heat is just one! I must have done a hundred long flights or more in the Legacy and not once had an engine problem at any altitude despite deliberately flying it in cloud all the way up, with precipitation and many temperature variations. It seems the "carb heat" bug affects some more than others.

We could have linked the Alternate Air function to carb heat but that's kind of cheating, since Alternate Air is meant for something not entirely the same. Does it really bug you to press "H"?

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Does it really bug you to press "H"?

Nope. I mean really, this is so well known and so easily worked around that it's one that's hard to get excited about.

Scott

To be honest my very first flight had this bug, I think it's more about where you fly and the ambient temperatures and not who the user is or what addons they have. It would be nice to have an auto heat function to overcome this bug, or just have heat on all the time and adjust engine parameters to mitigate its adverse effects.

Cheers, Andy.

The RealAir turbo-Duke has used the carb heat bug to advantage. They managed to redirect (actually just relabel) the carb heat to read out as the fuel tank vent de-icers. I usually just switch on the tank vent de-ice as I gain altitude (rapidly--gotta love those turbine engines) and all is well the rest of the flight and I'm not bothered by turning on the "carb heat". My Flight1 Cessna 182T does have the bug however. At times the engine will begin to slow and you need to hit the pesky "H" key (getting the "H" out, I guess) and all is well. It happens very infrequently and as

Nope. I mean really, this is so well known and so easily worked around that it's one that's hard to get excited about.

says, it's really not an issue.

anxu00

if it really bug you, just write a simple statement xml gauge that switch ON carb heat when you load the plane. It is all in the background and then Carb heat is on all the time and you will not even know your plane deal with the bug. never even have to press H ever again. you can fly the legacy into any weather and any icing condition and the "bug" will not rear it's head..

anxu00

if it really bug you, just write a simple statement xml gauge that switch ON carb heat when you load the plane. It is all in the background and then Carb heat is on all the time and you will not even know your plane deal with the bug. never even have to press H ever again. you can fly the legacy into any weather and any icing condition and the "bug" will not rear it's head..

Thanks all for replying. I don't mind pressing the H key, but it does get into the realism.

bliksimpie,

If you don't mind, how do I exactly do what you suggest? I don't do much tinkling with FSX, let alone do gauge programming ;)

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Well this code always was working for me on a fuel injected plane. i am sure there are better methods that our esteemed developers might come to light with.

<Gauge Name="Control_carbheat_On" Version="1.0">
<!-- CARBHEAT On with start of plane  -->

<Element>
 <Select>
  <Value>
	  (L:Carbheaton,bool) 1 != if{
		 (A:General eng1 anti ice position,bool) 1 != if{ 0 (>K:ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE) }  
		 1 (>L:Carbheaton,bool)
						 }	
  </Value>	
 </Select>
  </Element>
</Gauge>

open notepad

paste the code above into notepad.

SAVE AS "carbheat.xml" (leave out the inverted commas)

open the legacy panel folder.

create a new folder called "options"

add the carbheat.xm file to the options folder you just created

make backup of panel.cfg incase you mess up.

now open the panel.cfg file with notepad.

scroll right down to [vcockpit01] section

add the following line after the last entry in this section

gauge35=options!carbheat, 0,0,1,1

(the gauge just before this one you enter will be something like gauge23=......)

(dont worry about the gap to gauge number 35. as long as there is not already such a gauge number everything is good and it is very unlikely you will already have and entry starting with gauge35..)

SAVE panel.cfg

start fsx and fly legacy. The carb heat will automatically be switch on. NOTE if you press "h" naturally you will switch it off again. so just hands off the "h" key now. I prefer it this way as I still have ability to change the setting if I want to, instead of forcing it ON always.

if you not comfortable doing the gauge yourself, you are welcome to send me PM with your email address and I will email it to you.

Well this code always was working for me on a fuel injected plane. i am sure there are better methods that our esteemed developers might come to light with.

<Gauge Name="Control_carbheat_On" Version="1.0">
<!-- CARBHEAT On with start of plane  -->

<Element>
 <Select>
  <Value>
	  (L:Carbheaton,bool) 1 != if{
		 (A:General eng1 anti ice position,bool) 1 != if{ 0 (>K:ANTI_ICE_TOGGLE) }  
		 1 (>L:Carbheaton,bool)
						 }	
  </Value>	
 </Select>
  </Element>
</Gauge>

open notepad

paste the code above into notepad.

SAVE AS "carbheat.xml" (leave out the inverted commas)

open the legacy panel folder.

create a new folder called "options"

add the carbheat.xm file to the options folder you just created

make backup of panel.cfg incase you mess up.

now open the panel.cfg file with notepad.

scroll right down to [vcockpit01] section

add the following line after the last entry in this section

gauge35=options!carbheat, 0,0,1,1

(the gauge just before this one you enter will be something like gauge23=......)

(dont worry about the gap to gauge number 35. as long as there is not already such a gauge number everything is good and it is very unlikely you will already have and entry starting with gauge35..)

SAVE panel.cfg

start fsx and fly legacy. The carb heat will automatically be switch on. NOTE if you press "h" naturally you will switch it off again. so just hands off the "h" key now. I prefer it this way as I still have ability to change the setting if I want to, instead of forcing it ON always.

if you not comfortable doing the gauge yourself, you are welcome to send me PM with your email address and I will email it to you.

Thanks

Vu Pham