Sign in to follow this  
gazza44

engine start

when starting engines using cont ignition and all 4 are running there is a no autostart warning displayed.Should the autostart be then pressed for flight and cont ignition turned off.

Gary Stallard

when starting engines using cont ignition and all 4 are running there is a no autostart warning displayed.Should the autostart be then pressed for flight and cont ignition turned off.

Gary Stallard

Continuous ignition should be off for engine start. Make sure the autostart switch is on before engine start. You only use continuous ignition during takeoff, turbulence, anti-ice, flight into precipitation, and landing.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply Bank Angle but i am starting engines using cont ignition and putting fuel in 15%N2 not using autostart where the fuel levers are in the up position.below is a link to the tutorial i am using which might explain more what i am doing. thanks for your time

Gary Stallard

http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/

Thanks for your quick reply Bank Angle but i am starting engines using cont ignition and putting fuel in 15%N2 not using autostart where the fuel levers are in the up position.below is a link to the tutorial i am using which might explain more what i am doing. thanks for your time

Gary Stallard

http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/

That makes more sense.I'm just a bit off today. Using the IGN CONT switch is not needed during a manual start. When you pull the engine ignition switch, that will energize the ignitor. I guess using it will just be an extra precaution.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

which brings me back to the original question, engines are running fine but have no autostart warning displayed.pressing autostart extinguishes the warning light.is that the correct thing to do as tutorial makes no mention off it

thanks Gary Stallard

I am definitely not an expert but, as far as I can tell from the Boeing manual, for the manual start procedure, you should switch on autostart when all four engines are stabilised at idle.

Dugald Walker

which brings me back to the original question, engines are running fine but have no autostart warning displayed.pressing autostart extinguishes the warning light.is that the correct thing to do as tutorial makes no mention off it

thanks Gary Stallard

Press the CANC button on the EICAS control panel on the F/O's side. That will cancel the caution.

I am definitely not an expert but, as far as I can tell from the Boeing manual, for the manual start procedure, you should switch on autostart when all four engines are stabilised at idle.

The procedure would be to start one engine then turn on the autostart system to start the other engines. Though if the autostart system is truly unservicable, it may continue to be off.

Not sure what the author of the tutorial meant by it's more cool to use the manual system rather than autostart. You just do the same thing during both types of starts.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

many thanks for your help bank angle ,one other Q can u sync thE pilots and FO altimetres or do you have to change them both thanks again

Gary Stallard

many thanks for your help bank angle ,one other Q can u sync thE pilots and FO altimetres or do you have to change them both thanks again

Gary Stallard

No. His union forbids him from lifting a finger. The only thing he can do is say V1, Rotate, and V2. The Captain has to do everything for him (no extra pay. Just 744 captain pay).

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The NGX sure has moved on from the 747 lol

Gary Stallard

The 744 was designed with 2004-2006 technology. The NGX is 2010-2011 technology. Definitely a step up.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The procedure would be to start one engine then turn on the autostart system to start the other engines. Though if the autostart system is truly unservicable, it may continue to be off.

I'm just asking because I don't know but why would one start one engine manually and the others automatically? I thought it would be either all automatic, which seems to be the normal way, or all manual, as shown in the ITVV Cathay Pacific 747 video.

Dugald Walker

I'm just asking because I don't know but why would one start one engine manually and the others automatically? I thought it would be either all automatic, which seems to be the normal way, or all manual, as shown in the ITVV Cathay Pacific 747 video.

Only scenario I could possibly see is you're having a bad day and you don't have ground power and the APU generators are unservicable. Other than that I would ask a 744 pilot/engineer or Boeing themselves.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Boeing says:

"When engine stabilized at idle, push Autostart switch ON if autostart is operative.

If more than one engine is to be started manually, Autostart switch may remain OFF between manual starts."

Dugald Walker