Sign in to follow this  
Celtman

New FSX build - Thoughts/Constructive Criticism?

Hey everyone :)

Long time lurker first time poster here. Looking to build a new FSX system (will be used for other gaming too), just wondering what people thought about what I have planned.

Budget is ~£1800 so if there is anything you'd recommend changing please let me know :)

CPU: i7 3930K Hex Core @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14-2011

GPU: nVidia GTX670

HDD's: 1x 1.5TB Samsung Sata II (storage)

1x 640GB WD SATA III (Non-FSX gaming)

1x 60GB OCZ Onyx SSD (OS Drive)

1x 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (FSX Drive)

M'Board: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

RAM: 16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengence (Quad Channel @ 1600MHz) 9-9-9-24

PSU: 1000W Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold (90% Eff)

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Visionary White Snow Edition

Optical Drives: Taken from current PC (1x BD-ROM, 1x DVD-RW)

Thanks for any help! :)

What a monster rig :) Welcome to Avsim!

Why CPU: i7 3930K Hex Core @ 3.2GHz?

Why not an i7 2770K quad or i7-3770K?

Manny

Ah! I read that you use it for other gaming as well that may use the multi core (6 cores).

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Why CPU: i7 3930K Hex Core @ 3.2GHz?

Why not an i7 2770K quad or i7-3770K?

Manny

Ah! I read that you use it for other gaming as well that may use the multi core (6 cores).

Yeah I'll be using it for other gaming too :)

FSX will probably be the main purpose thought so I'm not sure on CPU choice. I've heard that Ivy Bridge (2770K or 3770K) is actually better in FSX, with the money saved invested in other parts of the rig? Hard to find a definite answer, always people saying different things! :Thinking:

Will somebody please tell me where I can buy this i7 2770K?

Did I miss something here, a new release, or what?

:)

Its the 2700K

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

GPU: nVidia GTX670

Get the 680. :Big Grin:

Will somebody please tell me where I can buy this i7 2770K?

Did I miss something here, a new release, or what?

:LMAO:

Get the 680. :Big Grin:

I heard the 670 is much better value since it's barely slower and £100 cheaper? :Thinking:

I heard the 670 is much better value since it's barely slower and £100 cheaper?

It could be, but so far nobody's tested one with FSX, so it's still speculation. I'd personally spend the extra dough to be sure I got the best one. Imagine if it turns out that you lose a bit of performance, and then you're in a position of being constantly annoyed by that, or deciding to sell the 670 at a loss and upgrading to the 680, when you could've just bought the right one in the first place? My experience is, buy cheap, buy twice. That said, until someone buys and tests a 670 with FSX, we won't know if performance is the same.

Way too powerful PSU.

Too much power?!?! I'm a member of the Tim the Toolman Taylor school of computing, there's no such thing as too much power :biggrin: It leaves room for possible upgrades in the future.

Too much power?!?! I'm a member of the Tim the Toolman Taylor school of computing, there's no such thing as too much power :biggrin: It leaves room for possible upgrades in the future.

There is, cause it will eat up more power at idle. Also it will cost way more.

I heard the 670 is much better value since it's barely slower and £100 cheaper? :Thinking:

Get the Asus GTX670 DirectCU II, with stock overclocking.That thing costs less and goes just like the 680.

There is, cause it will eat up more power at idle. Also it will cost way more.

When you have a larger PSU, it does NOT mean that you will draw more power from the wall. The components inside the box are what determine the power draw from the wall.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys :)

Still can't quite decide now between SB-E or IB build since everyone seems to have conflicting opinions on them, especially with regards to FSX performance :Thinking:

Also unsure on RAM, would you recommend 1866MHz sticks (max M'board can support I think) or those 1600MHz above?

When you have a larger PSU, it does NOT mean that you will draw more power from the wall. The components inside the box are what determine the power draw from the wall.

Efficiency will drop under certain load factors and above some others. You need a well proportioned PSU to get the 80% efficiency.

http://superuser.com/questions/320451/why-after-installing-a-80-plus-bronze-psu-my-power-consumption-is-now-higher

Efficiency will drop under certain load factors and above some others. You need a well proportioned PSU to get the 80% efficiency.

http://superuser.com...n-is-now-higher

What relevance does this have to power draw from the wall while on idle?