Sign in to follow this  
Frank Otero

Spoilers not retracting

Hello fellow addicts,

There is an old topic on this that presents no solution, but mentions some possible causes such as landing too fast, etc. I land right on speed and 9 out of ten cannot retract the spoilers...even tested by applying full power on roll out with same results. When I turn the spoiler switch off, the green light extinguishes but the spoilers still out. Ideas?

IMC veryone :))))

Hello fellow addicts,

There is an old topic on this that presents no solution, but mentions some possible causes such as landing too fast, etc. I land right on speed and 9 out of ten cannot retract the spoilers...even tested by applying full power on roll out with same results. When I turn the spoiler switch off, the green light extinguishes but the spoilers still out. Ideas?

IMC veryone :))))

I take it you are flying the J41? The spoilers are fully automatic. You don't have control over them whatsoever. Pull the engines out of reverse and into idle and they will retract. Try reducing the condition levers to taxi.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I take it you are flying the J41
Yes, sorry, JS41. I have tried all that, and then some, they still standing. Actually, you do have control over them because if you do not arm them, they will not deploy hihihihih

Thanks for your reply

Try putting a bit of a null zone at the bottom of your throttle.

No, you can not force them to retract. They are fully automagic when armed and when used correctly - given that your FSX is playing nice at the time <_<

After you arm the spoilers on final, they will only deploy when the WOW (weight-on-wheels) switches are enabled - in others words, after you touch-down - and then only after you use some reverse thrust. Once you bleed off speed and are down to seventy knots, you bring the throttle levers back to flight-idle (hit F1 works best for me) and the spoilers retract - again automagically.

This is how they work for me just as the PMDG tutorial suggests.

One other thing. I always start the PMDG J41 from a saved flight by double-clicking on the "saved flight" icon in my documents folder, and never by starting FSX the default way. This is the most successful way I have found to get FSX to play nice with the J41. Start with the PMDG Tutorial flight and change colours and airport from there, then save the flight. I have even saved a mid-air flight to practise landing etc (QANTAS Colours), and it works every time.

No, you can not force them to retract. They are fully automagic when armed and when used correctly - given that your FSX is playing nice at the time <_<

After you arm the spoilers on final, they will only deploy when the WOW (weight-on-wheels) switches are enabled - in others words, after you touch-down - and then only after you use some reverse thrust. Once you bleed off speed and are down to seventy knots, you bring the throttle levers back to flight-idle (hit F1 works best for me) and the spoilers retract - again automagically.

This is how they work for me just as the PMDG tutorial suggests.

One other thing. I always start the PMDG J41 from a saved flight by double-clicking on the "saved flight" icon in my documents folder, and never by starting FSX the default way. This is the most successful way I have found to get FSX to play nice with the J41. Start with the PMDG Tutorial flight and change colours and airport from there, then save the flight. I have even saved a mid-air flight to practise landing etc (QANTAS Colours), and it works every time.

It seems that I have this beahviour when I forgot to switch off "Prop sync". I have added an item in my descent check list now and it seems to work. They deploy on landing,I wait for 70 knots call then press F1 and they retract.After that it is manual braking

thanks for helping Peter

Regards

Yves

After you arm the spoilers on final
I always arm them after startup, and leave them like that. Am I missing something where you are supposed to disarmed them at some point after takeoff?

Regards

Hi Frank.

The AOM and the Tutorial only specify the Arming of the Spoilers during the "Taxi (before take-off) Check", and then Dis-Arming them during the "After Landing Check". But the "Descent Approach Check" does call for the "SPOILERS .... Armed" check by the PNF (page 87).

So, in reference to your question, no, you have not missed anything, I made the mistake of saying "After you arm the spoilers", where I should have said, "After you check that they are armed ... ". Actually, I think that I have the habit of dis-arming them on climb-out, so that is probably the reason for my comment. I best "follow proceedure" in the future myself :rolleyes: .... demerits points are accumulating :unsure:

Happy flights mate :lol:

My brother, there are not enough merits left out there that could erase my demerits... even when sober :wacko:

Cheers